Glock Forum banner

Froglubing a new Glock

Tags
frog lube
7K views 27 replies 20 participants last post by  SBH 
#1 ·
Will purchase my 19 Gen 4 later this month when my CCW permit arrives. I have already ordered my armorer's tool, 1,000 rounds of practice rounds to share with my brother...etc.

From everything I have read and seen, I will be using Froglube CLP. I was thinking about a complete disassembly, cleaning, treating all part with Froglube, polish, and reassemble before firing the first round.

I know some of you may like other brands of CLP products. But what say ye to the idea of a good cleaning, inspection, and reassembly before the first round?

OK, bracked for impact......incoming!!!!!

#2 ·
You must be a new time "Glocker".

SHOOT it....just as ya buy it. It's a GLOCK for gods sake!!! You want to "Play" with it...up to you. It's a Glock. It's a shooting machine, right out of the box.

After you shoot it... Take it home and clean it. You like "Frog Lube"...Cool. I like "Brake Free". To each his own.

Shoot your Glock!! It don't give a shit actually. It JUST WORKS. That's Glock.

#3 ·
Hello I've never tried Frog lube but a lot of people seem to like it. With a new Glock the most common thing is to field strip it to check the barrel for obstructions and then commence firing. Leaving the copper grease on for the first few hundred rounds isn't a bad idea either. Enjoy your new Glock!

#4 ·
I agree with the other posters, take it out of the box and run it through a few hundred rounds. Get the feel for it bone stock, then if you choose, go from there. Frog lube is a good product and has made a name for itself in the shooting world..... just as hoppes, break free, and a plethora of other gun lube/maintenance products. It's really all personal preference. If you really get down to it... if it's made for cleaning and maintaining firearms, it's probably safe to use on firearms. Similar to the coke vs pepsi or ford vs chevy debates. It's all personal preference. If you do receive your firearm and break it down completely, lube up your parts, reassemble and on the very slim chance something doesn't work or feel quite right... you don't have a baseline starting point to go off of. I recommend at least a few hundred rounds right out of the box to get a feel for it and gather information like 1) how well do you like the stock trigger after a hundred rounds 2) are the horseshoe sights working for you 3) did you experience any malfunctions 4) do you like the stock slide stop etc. Just gather some info on how you like the pistols performance and THEN you can have a better understanding about tailoring the gun to you via frog lube, aftermarket parts, etc. Either way, congrats on your 19!

#5 ·
this is just me BUT never just shoot a gun right out of the box. you don't know who touched it before you so it is (like any time you get handed a gun) you inspect it and make sure its not loaded the barrel is clear and all mechanic parts are in working, correct order. after a field strip and inspection then go shoot it.

#7 ·
That is true barstool, I should have implied that a quick field strip and inspection should be done before purchasing and again before shooting for the first time. I can never help myself, when I get a new pistol I have to take it out of the box and "get to know it" for the rest of the day. Usually involves a lot of dry firing, field stripping, and smiling.

#10 ·
I use Frog Lube on all my guns. Never have done the heating process they talk about, I let the gun heat the stuff up when I shoot it. Never have had to use solvent to clean any of my guns since using Frog Lube, just shoot wipe down relube and put away. Handguns, AR15, and shotgun works great on them all.

Reactions: ashman09
#12 ·
Skip the froglube and put the $ towards ammo.
Check for obstructions in the barrel and then shoot it. Leave the copper grease in it til it's gone.
I shot around 600 rounds before doing a thorough cleaning. Then lube lightly per Glock specs with synthetic motor oil or whatever you choose.

#13 ·
My years of being an engineering tell me to check and clean a weapon before firing the first round thought it. I will field strip it, clem it with with Fluglube solvent, and do a an initial Froglube treatment with heat. I have a 1000+ practice round already and today got my carry permit. By sunset tomorrow I will likely be owning a 19 get 4. That ammo will all be gone by the end of next week. :D

#14 ·
One of the guys at the local gun club drew a lot of laughter at a match. He slathered a bunch of frog lube on his gun without reading the instructions. He stepped up to the line and was given the command to load and make ready. He dropped the slide and it just moved forward in slow motion. Everyone was laughing. He cleared it, went to the safety table and wiped off as much as he could. It worked like it was supposed to the second time around.

#16 ·
Leave the copper lube on there. It is for helping with the break in.

I was at the LGS yesterday and told the owner, one of his employees, and a cop how I used synthetic motor oil. Bla-blah-blah gummed up blah it's for motors etc. To each his own!

#17 ·
Just home home with the new 19 Gen 4, field stripped it, and Froglubed it.

Using Froglube reminds me of one of the lines by Donkey (Eddie Murphy) in the Shrek moves. "And do I detect the hint of minty freshness?"

#18 ·
I have used Froglube from day one on my G19 G4,, I like the fact that when the weapon is cold or stored the FL is not greasy or oily but the second you fire it the metal releases the FL and you have a well lubed gun,.. I won't be going back to petroleum based products.. I highly recommend it...

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk

#22 ·
Concur that you need to check the gun over thoroughly before shooting. Quick swipe down the barrel with some CLP of your choice just to ensure no obstructions.
I originally used Ballistol when I first got my Glock 19 Gen 4. Then started using another CLP similar to Frog Lube. I have since switched back to Ballistol.

#23 ·
I watched a video on Youtube. The guy said not to use Ballistol because it ate metal. I was laughing so hard. Some people have using it for years on all their guns and never have problems with it. Using whatever you like I suppose.

Just curious though, do you like using FogLube as paste or liquid?

#24 ·
For Glocks all you need is the paste form. Just a light coating on the slide and riding surfaces, outside and inside of the barrel, run some patches through to pick up the excess. After i wipe everything down, I put a light film of fresh froglube on the outside of the barrel where it will be going through the slide during operation.

Leave the liquid for the AR's

#26 ·
My 23 is going to get painted with Motorkote and let soak over night. We'll see what soaks in, then wipe any excess off.

#27 ·
I always like to field strip, clean, and lube a new gun of any kind. There's no telling what's left inside there from the manufacturing process. Metal shavings, dirt, grease, who knows. What's so magical about that copper colored lube that comes in a new Glock?

Frog Lube works just fine on all my weapons. I do heat up the metal before applying it tho. Don't know if that really makes a difference or not, but it's what the instructions say to do. Best to get all the petroleum based lube off first too. Alcohol, or Gun Scrubber will both degrease the metal. As well as Simple Green. Don't mix FL with other lubes and cleaners on the same gun.

#28 · (Edited)
I use Ballistol on my GLOCK"S. I agree with Swampfox, just shoot your Glock! Just like they told us in the Corp. This is my rifle, this is my gun, this one's for fighting, this one is for FUN! You'll get the idea. JMHO I don't use Break Free, if you do it can over time loosen pins in firearms. I have seen this is comped AR's. JMO

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.