Police: Man Painted Handgun Red to Resemble Toy

This is a discussion on Police: Man Painted Handgun Red to Resemble Toy within the Off Topic Discussion forums, part of the Off Topic category; A few weeks ago, we discussed a law about toy guns being required to be a bright color... and how criminals might paint their guns ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Police: Man Painted Handgun Red to Resemble Toy

Exclamation Police: Man Painted Handgun Red to Resemble Toy

A few weeks ago, we discussed a law about toy guns being required to be a bright color... and how criminals might paint their guns to look like toys. Well, now there is a news story about a criminal having been arrested for having done just that. Below is the story. I don't know about you guys, but after reading this story....if anyone points any kind of gun at me [especially a teen or adult]... no matter what color it is... I'm likely to draw my own weapon and be prepared to use it.

From ABC News / Cincinnati
    Police: Man Painted Handgun Red to Resemble Toy - ABC News

CINCINNATI — Dec 12, 2014, 6:44 PM ET
    By DAN SEWELL Associated Press

This photo provided by the Hamilton County Sheriff in Cincinnati shows a red-painted, 380-caliber handgun police found during the arrest of 23-year-old Orlando Lowery when responding to a call about a man with a gun. The arrest Friday, Dec. 12,... View Full Caption AP

Southwest Ohio authorities said Friday they arrested a man with a loaded handgun painted red to resemble a toy.

The arrest came just four days after legislation was introduced in the state to require that lookalike guns be brightly colored or otherwise marked. Ohio lawmakers took up the bill following two police fatal shootings of young people carrying lookalike guns in recent months.

Hamilton County Sheriff Jim Neil said it's "a scary thought" that guns would be painted to mislead police.

Police responding to a call about a man with a gun said they found Orlando Lowery, 23, with a .380-caliber handgun painted red and 9 grams of cocaine. No attorney was listed for Lowery, who was jailed on a concealed weapons charge and a drug count.

The bill, introduced Monday by Rep. Alicia Reece, would require all BB guns, air rifles and airsoft guns stand out in color or have prominent fluorescent strips. The Cincinnati Democrat named the bill after 22-year-old John Crawford III, who was carrying an air rifle this summer in a suburban Dayton Wal-Mart store when he was fatally shot by police. Police said they thought Crawford had an assault rifle. Last month, a 12-year-old boy carrying a pellet gun in Cleveland was fatally shot by police.

The legislation was modeled after a California law. Several other states and cities have similar laws.

Some opponents of the bill have expressed skepticism about whether such measures would be effective in preventing fatal shootings, and some have suggested that criminals would try to disguise weapons to cause police to hesitate.

The sheriff said his office wouldn't get into the debate over the bill, but would provide some facts about the arrest.

"And the fact is right here in Hamilton County, we arrested a dangerous individual who we believe purposefully painted a loaded handgun red to mislead law enforcement into thinking this was a toy gun," Neil said in statement.
    ———
    Contact the reporter at http://www.twitter.com/dansewell

Police: Man Painted Handgun Red to Resemble Toy - ABC News
    Last edited by David2014; 12-13-2014 at 12:23 AM.
    You can't blame people for wanting to protect themselves, as they see the reality of law enforcement: that law is enforced only after the law shows up. That can be a problem if you're already dead.” Greg Gutfeld / Fox News

Neil said in a statement "we arrested a dangerous individual who we believe purposefully painted a loaded handgun red".

I find that funny probably because its late and I need to go to bed. But the cop believes without a doubt that he painted the hand gun while it was loaded. I know thats not what he was trying to say I am just tired so its funny. Good night!
    David2014 likes this.

It's a Cobra and technically it is a toy.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GlockForum.net
    Advertisements

Senior Member NunquamNonParatus's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nickndfl View Post
    It's a Cobra and technically it is a toy.
    $99+$5.99 shipping to your local FFL.

Thing is many HiPoint owners are painting up their hoopties all kinds of wild ways. Not for deception. It's because they are cheap and nobody is going to cry about it.
    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to talk out your ass and remove all doubt." A. Lincoln (sort of.)
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"It seems to me a certainty that the fatalistic teachings of Mohammed and the utter degradation of the Arab women are the outstanding causes for the arrested development of the Arab. He is exactly as he was around the year 700, while we have been developing." George S. Patton

President/executive director of the NQNP STFU awards foundation.

anyone that points a gun (toy or real at me... I perceive it as a threat and take the appropriate action.... try and shoot first
    Nanashi likes this.
    the difference between wisdom and intellect, wisdom foresees the dangers in life, and intellect studies the aftermath

Quote Originally Posted by barstoolguru View Post
    anyone that points a gun (toy or real at me... I perceive it as a threat and take the appropriate action.... try and shoot first
    This comming from the guy that fought me tooth and nail on the lunatic point a banana at the cops and being shot. I know you remember what I am talking about even though most others wont. If you dont then just do a yellow gun search on google lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Nanashi View Post
    This comming from the guy that fought me tooth and nail on the lunatic point a banana at the cops and being shot. I know you remember what I am talking about even though most others wont. If you dont then just do a yellow gun search on google lol.
    there is a difference between a banana and a toy that resembles a gun. I like to think that if some ones kid gets a banana out of the fridge they are not going to be shot. the real threat is the doubled barreled banana's Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sble barrel banana.jpg 
Views:	259 
Size:	4.5 KB 
ID:	5532
    Last edited by barstoolguru; 12-13-2014 at 07:13 PM.
    the difference between wisdom and intellect, wisdom foresees the dangers in life, and intellect studies the aftermath

Quote Originally Posted by barstoolguru View Post
    there is a difference between a banana and a toy that resembles a gun. I like to think that if some ones kid gets a banana out of the fridge they are not going to be shot. the real threat is the doubled barreled banana's Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sble barrel banana.jpg 
Views:	259 
Size:	4.5 KB 
ID:	5532
    The reality is cops or people need to use good judgement but not loose their life.

Quote Originally Posted by Nanashi View Post
    The reality is cops or people need to use good judgement but not loose their life.
    they where just flexing their muscle when they charged that guy. abuse of power to prove a point

I'm sure if Michael Brown had one of these the results would still be the same...

I'm going to print some "Pants Up !! Don't Loot !! " bumper stickers. Anyone willing to buy some?
    Nanashi likes this.
    I refuse to be a LOW INFORMATION GUN OWNER.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links