Self-Defense: Are Warning Shots a Good Idea? (By: Massad Ayoob)

This is a discussion on Self-Defense: Are Warning Shots a Good Idea? (By: Massad Ayoob) within the Off Topic Discussion forums, part of the Off Topic category; Warning shots have long been prohibited by most American police departments. Massad Ayoob spells out 10 good reasons why. The “Warning Shots Are a Good ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Self-Defense: Are Warning Shots a Good Idea? (By: Massad Ayoob)

Warning shots have long been prohibited by most American police departments. Massad Ayoob spells out 10 good reasons why.

The “Warning Shots Are a Good Idea” Myth

Self-Defense: Are Warning Shots a Good Idea?You know a myth is widespread when it emanates from the White House. In 2013 while campaigning for a ban on so-called “assault rifles,” Vice-President Joseph Biden told the public he had advised his wife that if there was a home invasion, she was to take a double barrel shotgun and fire both barrels upwards. One can only imagine how the Secret Service Vice-Presidential detail felt when they heard that. I can tell you that across the nation lawyers, cops, and gun-wise people rolled their eyes and shook their heads.

Here are 10 reasons why firing a warning shot is not a good idea

Florida is the first and only state (that I know of) that allows a warning shot BUT is it a good idea

Self-Defense: Are Warning Shots a Good Idea?
    the difference between wisdom and intellect, wisdom foresees the dangers in life, and intellect studies the aftermath

If an attacker has a Bat or knife or some other blunt force weapon....I'd like to think a warning shot might stop him or scare him off. If not then a good leg shot. I certainly wouldn't go for a kill shot unless he was just a psycho.

I love Massad, and have probably read everything he's ever written. WHICH, makes me probably wrong.
    Last edited by Swampfox762; 12-19-2014 at 07:28 PM.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    "The beauty of the second amendment is, it will not be needed until they try to take it".

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    “He who dares not offend, cannot be honest”
    ~ Thomas Paine ~

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Daily to give free food to animals in shelters and rescue's.

If I ever feel threatened enough to pull my firearm on someone its center mass only. Under those circumstances I won't have time for warning shots nor the control for leg shots or wing him or whatever. If I feel someone is a threat I shoot to stop the threat. End of story
    Nanashi, nonamehavei and Dub1973 like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GlockForum.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Swampfox762 View Post
    If an attacker has a Bat or knife or some other blunt force weapon....I'd like to think a warning shot might stop him or scare him off. If not then a good leg shot. I certainly wouldn't go for a kill shot unless he was just a psycho.

I love Massad, and have probably read everything he's ever written. WHICH, makes me probably wrong.
    I asked Massad once about shooting someone below the hips and if it was considered deadly force and he replied that any time you shoot someone its considered deadly force so with that why chance shooting someone in the leg and missing when the outcome is going to be judged the same
    Swampfox762 and Big1 like this.
    the difference between wisdom and intellect, wisdom foresees the dangers in life, and intellect studies the aftermath

NRA
    Living In Occupied USA Glock Certified Armorer
    Anytime you let go a round, hit anyone or not, it is instituting deadly force.

I strongly suggest you spend some time rethinking your position.

If at any time you feel you will suffer "death" or "great bodily injury", you better shoot to stop what is threatening you. This means Center Mass. If I'm coming at you with a knife or a bat and you shoot me and cause me a debilitating injury, rest assured, you'll be working for me for the rest of your life...and I would enjoy it when I got out of jail. I've seen it too many times. Such and such person used "Deadly force" to wound or Mame my father, husband, son or me and prevented me from future income....bla bla bla. It happens. If at any time you pull the weapon it is to use it...period. You never intend to "kill". You only wanted to stop an action.

Treated a few that didn't survive a leg shot and quite a few survived by quick care only.... Femoral artery has a load of red juice running through it also femur fractures can cause massive bloodloss..... Just throwing that out there. IMO I feel when it's necessary for me to pull out my heat it's time to stop the threat as fast as I can!! This is on them not me, they caused this because by this time I have tried my best to deescalate or GTH out of dodge!
    barstoolguru likes this.

Senior Member NunquamNonParatus's Avatar
    Not against the law in TN. Where is the bullet going? Depending on the situation.............wanna chance wasting a round?
    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to talk out your ass and remove all doubt." A. Lincoln (sort of.)

"It seems to me a certainty that the fatalistic teachings of Mohammed and the utter degradation of the Arab women are the outstanding causes for the arrested development of the Arab. He is exactly as he was around the year 700, while we have been developing." George S. Patton

President/executive director of the NQNP STFU awards foundation.

we he and in the combat shooting world have a mindset to stop the threat BUT does the common person? if someone has a gun they may not be willing to use it OR question the use and choke

The don't put legs on combat silhouettes.
    Swampfox762, nonamehavei and Big1 like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links