New Oklahoma law will prevent mentally ill from purchasing firearms

This is a discussion on New Oklahoma law will prevent mentally ill from purchasing firearms within the Off Topic Discussion forums, part of the Off Topic category; OKLAHOMA CITY - A law aimed at keeping guns out of the hands of those who suffer from mental illness went into effect within the ...

Like Tree8Likes
  • 2 Post By Glock1978
  • 1 Post By RevDerb
  • 1 Post By gcompact30
  • 2 Post By ronnie948
  • 1 Post By Cowboy
  • 1 Post By ronnie948

Thread: New Oklahoma law will prevent mentally ill from purchasing firearms

OKLAHOMA CITY - A law aimed at keeping guns out of the hands of those who suffer from mental illness went into effect within the last week.

Before July 1, information about a person being found mentally incompetent in court wouldn’t show up on a background check.

“That’s not information that we would have had access to in the past,” said Felicia Jackson, Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation’s handgun licensing manager.
    an ounce of prevention........

New Law Aims To Keep Mentally Ill From Buying Guns - NewsOn6.com - Tulsa, OK - News, Weather, Video and Sports - KOTV.com |
    the difference between wisdom and intellect, wisdom foresees the dangers in life, and intellect studies the aftermath

Total banning has to start somewhere.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    wheresthebears and Cowboy like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Glock1978 View Post
    Total banning has to start somewhere.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Yep. And who gets to declare mental defect? You and I both know the answer to that.
    Cowboy likes this.
    VietNam era vet (USN - CTT2, USNR - CTT3), NRA Life Member, NRA Certified RSO, SAF, GOA.
    Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GlockForum.net
    Advertisements

Who will make that decision if someone is mentally defective or not? I can see where this law will and can be misused.
    Cowboy likes this.
    It's all about the GLOCK!!!! If you are not a NRA member, click on the link below and renew or join the fight and save $25.00.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I guess all the queers will never pass a background check because a whole lot of people think they have a mental problem. Anyone that drives a top fuel "NITRO" dragster also can not pass a background check because we know those people all have a mental problem. How about a sky diver? How about the people that get to many tattoo's? Piercings? It can go on & on and they can one day say that anyone that thinks they need a gun for protection has a Mental problem because we all have Mister Policeman to protect us. This is a very dangerous law and not very well thought through.
    Ronnie
    Cowboy and SD44 like this.
    U.S. Army --- D.A.V. --- N.R.A.--- American Legion --- Florida carry
    If your "NOT" a member of the N.R.A. - It is time for you to sign up.
    We need to turn 5 million members into 15 or 20 million members

This is a tool used by the liberals and Anti-Gunners to work us into a corner.Like all liberal causes they like to get you into a position where you can't argue with them without looking stupid.This is a classic example of this,who can argue against the fact that the mentally ill should not be allowed to own guns? Nobody right? That sounds good to every rational person in this Country.
    Now that we have that established,as several people have stated above,who determines who is mentally ill and what criteria do they use? The NRA fell into this trap a few years ago and once you fall into it your through and you can't get out without looking stupid or worse yet,crazy.When you give those people an inch they will not only take a mile they will take everything.This is how we let the corner us.How many background checks are done a year by the FBI and this one failure of the system causes a death? I find that suspect in my book.Even if it is legit,it's a small price to pay for freedom.Yes it's tragic and sad and all that but freedom comes with a price and no system is or will be perfect especially if it is run by government which is usually SNAFU at best anyway.
    We don't need more laws we need less incompetent and intrusive government.-Cowboy
    Last edited by Cowboy; 07-12-2015 at 08:56 AM.
    Glock1978 likes this.

I still say killer kid did not buy that gun, His Grandfather bought it. It was all over every news channel when this crap started. They just found a way to say "BACKGROUND CHECKS DON'T WORK. Let them tell us how the background check did not work for this guy. They can't because he never had one.
    They made it really plain the background check failed. I say he did not even have one.
    His Mother even at one time made a statement that the last time she seen him before the shooting that he was out in the yard shooting the gun his grandfather gave him for his birthday. DUH !!!!

These people are blaming anything and everything for something an evil deplorable piece of shit did. The next thing is, They will slap his wrist and rehabilitate him in some shrink house and turn him loose because he didn't know what he was doing.
    He may have set a Guinness world record as the only person in all of America out of millions of people that passed his background check with a felony record.
    Ronnie
    Last edited by ronnie948; 07-12-2015 at 10:48 AM.
    Cowboy likes this.
    U.S. Army --- D.A.V. --- N.R.A.--- American Legion --- Florida carry
    If your "NOT" a member of the N.R.A. - It is time for you to sign up.
    We need to turn 5 million members into 15 or 20 million members

That was my point too Ronnie, that is what makes me smell a set up here.How many background checks does the FBI do in a year and the only one that gets by commits a murder.What are the odds in that? I guarantee that more good people get turned down than bad ones that get through.I think the system works for all intents and purposes but it is not perfect and they should be required by law to tell you why you failed and they don't and that is BS.-Cowboy

Sponsored Links