handgun stopping power

handgun stopping power

This is a discussion on handgun stopping power within the Off Topic Discussion forums, part of the Off Topic category; Dave Spaulding discusses the stopping power with various caliber sizes for the pistol. Drawing on real world experience, his own thesis and autopsy results... Dave ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: handgun stopping power

  1. #1
    Senior Member barstoolguru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    somewhere under the texas sky
    Posts
    21,518

    handgun stopping power

    Dave Spaulding discusses the stopping power with various caliber sizes for the pistol. Drawing on real world experience, his own thesis and autopsy results... Dave offers some interesting insights.
    I thought this was worth posting

    1jimmy and RMD like this.
    the difference between wisdom and intellect, wisdom foresees the dangers in life, and intellect studies the aftermath

  2. #2
    RMD
    RMD is offline
    Senior Member RMD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1,292
    Good common sense advice. Use what you shoot best!
    i might know something

  3. #3
    Senior Member barstoolguru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    somewhere under the texas sky
    Posts
    21,518
    I like that three shot drill but most indoor ranges frown on three shot bursts
    the difference between wisdom and intellect, wisdom foresees the dangers in life, and intellect studies the aftermath

  4. Remove Advertisements
    GlockForum.net
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Senior Member ZombieKiller57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Mid Atlantic
    Posts
    2,109
    Quote Originally Posted by barstoolguru View Post
    I like that three shot drill but most indoor ranges frown on three shot bursts
    I haven't found that to be true in any range I have visited. Most frown on unloading an entire magazine in 3 seconds, but if you are drilling they have no problems. My new range rents full autos so most people unload an entire magazine in under 3 seconds anyway. I don't think I have seen anyone there with a full auto running controlled fire, they just let it rip. Ohh the good times

    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

  6. #5
    Senior Member barstoolguru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    somewhere under the texas sky
    Posts
    21,518
    Three ranges I visit here in the DFW area all have signs that say no more than two round bursts and some of them want a delay in between shots.
    There is a new range in FTW that allows drawing from a holster and rapid fire but you have to rent a "private suite"(23.00 an hour) and on the weekends they are backed up with people waiting.
    There has been a couple of times I was asked to slow down because I was shooting to fast (for them)
    the difference between wisdom and intellect, wisdom foresees the dangers in life, and intellect studies the aftermath

  7. #6
    Senior Member ZombieKiller57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Mid Atlantic
    Posts
    2,109
    Quote Originally Posted by barstoolguru View Post
    Three ranges I visit here in the DFW area all have signs that say no more than two round bursts and some of them want a delay in between shots.
    There is a new range in FTW that allows drawing from a holster and rapid fire but you have to rent a "private suite"(23.00 an hour) and on the weekends they are backed up with people waiting.
    There has been a couple of times I was asked to slow down because I was shooting to fast (for them)
    That sucks!

    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

  8. #7
    Senior Member barstoolguru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    somewhere under the texas sky
    Posts
    21,518
    Quote Originally Posted by ZombieKiller57 View Post
    That sucks!
    That’s part of living in a big city and ranges having to deal with the wide verity of people, not to mention the anti's accusing them military training. When I was in a private gun club we weren’t allow wearing commo’s on the range or shooting silhouette targets for that very reason. I am looking forward to going to FTW and shooting at the private suits gun range but its some 45 miles away and it take a lot of the day just to shoot an hour
    the difference between wisdom and intellect, wisdom foresees the dangers in life, and intellect studies the aftermath

  9. #8
    Senior Member ZombieKiller57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Mid Atlantic
    Posts
    2,109
    Quote Originally Posted by barstoolguru View Post
    That’s part of living in a big city and ranges having to deal with the wide verity of people, not to mention the anti's accusing them military training. When I was in a private gun club we weren’t allow wearing commo’s on the range or shooting silhouette targets for that very reason. I am looking forward to going to FTW and shooting at the private suits gun range but its some 45 miles away and it take a lot of the day just to shoot an hour
    I'm a member of the largest indoor range in the country and I'm happy to say we have none of those restrictions. We also have 3 other indoor ranges and 2 public outdoor and 3 private outdoor clubs in my area and they are non restrictive. The one on the Military base has caliber restrictions but that's about it.

    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

  10. #9
    Senior Member barstoolguru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    somewhere under the texas sky
    Posts
    21,518
    check this one out, its in german but you will get the point

    the difference between wisdom and intellect, wisdom foresees the dangers in life, and intellect studies the aftermath

  11. #10
    Senior Member rowabi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Right Here
    Posts
    4,767
    Quote Originally Posted by ZombieKiller57 View Post
    I'm a member of the largest indoor range in the country and I'm happy to say we have none of those restrictions. We also have 3 other indoor ranges and 2 public outdoor and 3 private outdoor clubs in my area and they are non restrictive. The one on the Military base has caliber restrictions but that's about it.
    That's a great situation to have, ZK



    Glock softly and leave your big stick at home...
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

    rowabi

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. An Alternate Look at Handgun Stopping Power
    By barstoolguru in forum The Ammo Can
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 10-28-2012, 03:23 PM
  2. Non-Gun People 101 on Dropped Handgun
    By barstoolguru in forum Off Topic Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-25-2012, 08:35 AM
  3. Butch Cassidy's 'Amnesty Colt' Handgun To Be Auctioned
    By barstoolguru in forum Glock Talk and Discussion
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 09-21-2012, 03:35 PM

Search tags for this page

glock handguns stopping power
,

handgun caliber stopping power

,
handgun stopping power
,

pistol round stopping power

,

real world handgun stopping power

,
stopping power forum
Click on a term to search for related topics.