Do You Make These 5 Range Mistakes? a look at the bad habits at the range

This is a discussion on Do You Make These 5 Range Mistakes? a look at the bad habits at the range within the Off Topic Discussion forums, part of the Off Topic category; I see them all the time but do we say something? Sometimes I do but it’s hard to intervene when you see someone screwing up ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Do You Make These 5 Range Mistakes? a look at the bad habits at the range

I see them all the time but do we say something? Sometimes I do but it’s hard to intervene when you see someone screwing up or worse yet teaching someone else and not correcting them. Me; I always try and get the last two stalls closest to the wall to the left. That way you can only get shot from one side.

feel free to add on if you have something you seen and did or didn't say anything

Do You Make These 5 Range Mistakes?
    the difference between wisdom and intellect, wisdom foresees the dangers in life, and intellect studies the aftermath

Thanks for posting. When I was a kid learning firearms safety, I had to break the habit of pointing the handgun to the left to rack the slide. It didn't take long for my old man to correct that lol.

I rarely rack my slide. Once you fire your last round, the slide goes out of battery and stays there. I then drop the magazine leaving me with an out-of-commission gun. When it's again my turn to shoot, I stuff up a mag with muzzle aiming down range and then press down on the slide stop lever. Good to go rack-free.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GlockForum.net
    Advertisements

One of the reasons (and there are others) that I dont like one of the popular and long time outdoor ranges in my area is what is called in the Article "Cold Range". In this area we dont use that phrase but the word "Clear" when we go down to change or paste a target. There is many times an idiot that takes that time to load or look at this handgun while you are downrange.
    Years ago I was downrange pasting a target and a man was teaching shooting skills (supposedly) to some young boys who i assumed at the time were boy scout.s I turned around from pasting my target and saw this clown showing a boy how to aim with a 22 rifle pointing downrange in the general area where I was standing. I jumped out of the way uttering a profanity and told him to put the [email protected]$#^ gun down. He was mad becasue I cursed in front of juveniles. I told him cursing was the least of my worries at the time I was worried about being shot because of his violation of the most basic gun rules.

Only a Biker knows why a Dog hangs his head out the window.

G29SF, G20SF, G30SF, G36, G21SF RTF2, G32 GEN 4, G33, G19

NRA Life Member.

At the range where I shoot there are several range safety officers covering about 10 lanes. They're really great people who will help you out, answer any questions and give instruction. But they're there to make sure everyone is safe. I'm a newbie and more than once I've been politely tapped on the shoulder and instructed about something I've done wrong. Sometimes I say to myself something like "shit yeah I know that so why was I so stupid." Sometimes it's "holy crap I didn't realize I did that." I do try to keep my brain engaged all the time and follow all safety rules religiously.

The lanes are separated by bullet proof glass. A few weeks ago someone turned and accidentally fired into the glass separator. I don't know the whole story but I'm real happy I wasn't in the lane next to him because I probably would have beat his brains in with his own gun.

Let's stay safe out there.
    Your mileage may vary. Batteries not included.
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always good to keep reviewing basics. Thanks for posting.

Good article....safety reminders always appropriate....

Quote Originally Posted by texcowboy View Post
    One of the reasons (and there are others) that I dont like one of the popular and long time outdoor ranges in my area is what is called in the Article "Cold Range". In this area we dont use that phrase but the word "Clear" when we go down to change or paste a target. There is many times an idiot that takes that time to load or look at this handgun while you are downrange.
    Years ago I was downrange pasting a target and a man was teaching shooting skills (supposedly) to some young boys who i assumed at the time were boy scout.s I turned around from pasting my target and saw this clown showing a boy how to aim with a 22 rifle pointing downrange in the general area where I was standing. I jumped out of the way uttering a profanity and told him to put the [email protected]$#^ gun down. He was mad becasue I cursed in front of juveniles. I told him cursing was the least of my worries at the time I was worried about being shot because of his violation of the most basic gun rules.
    At my range cold means "cold". When it's declared we're required to remove magazines, take our gun out of battery and sit it on the table. No one is allowed to even hold a gun when anyone's out placing targets.

We always called it a cease fire and there was a red line on the ground. Breaches open mags out and step behind the line. They meant it, new guys or even seasoned shooter would get into a discussion about the gun with a partner and touch the gun while someone was down range would get jumped on no matter who they are. Whenever it happens the recipient understood it was a no tolerance rule.

Indoor ranges in my option create situations where other shooters can't pass along safety tips and proper range periodicals to others that might be endangering other shooters
    the difference between wisdom and intellect, wisdom foresees the dangers in life, and intellect studies the aftermath

I love my range because it's outdoor. I've taught several people, mostly women, about guns and shooting right there under one of the covered shooting areas. I watched my wife almost throw my G23 back over her head because of the recoil and try to shoot my SKS with the butt stock against her cheek. A lady friend was firing a .40 for the first time with it and nailed the bulls-eye on the first shot, then could barely hit the target after that because of recoil anticipation. Oh the fun you miss out on at an indoor range!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links