Alternative Practice???

Alternative Practice???

This is a discussion on Alternative Practice??? within the Off Topic Discussion forums, part of the Off Topic category; Iíve had my new Glock 23 Gen 4 for a couple of weeks now and itís apparent that, time wise and financially, I canít spend ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Alternative Practice???

Alternative Practice???

Iíve had my new Glock 23 Gen 4 for a couple of weeks now and itís apparent that, time wise and financially, I canít spend as much time at the range as I would like. Having changed from a revolver to a semi-auto Iím learning the different feel of the gun, developing a grip, etc. all of which takes time. So I had a thought...a BB pistol. I live in the city limits so no going out into the back yard to shoot, however we have a large pole barn and with a BB pistol I could spend the day out there practicing. Granted, there would be differences in the feel of the guns but Iím thinking I could still work on grip, trigger squeeze, etc. Any thoughts on this? And can anyone recommend a quality BB pistol at a reasonable price that would be accurate say out to 50 feet? I appreciate anyoneís advice.

Dry fire...a lot. I'd skip the bb gun. That's not going to do much for getting a feel for the Glock, and it will probably hurt more than help, in regards to getting a feel for the Glock trigger. Yes, it's ok to dry fire a glock. No snap caps needed.
    G19 Gen 5
    G19X
    G26
    G17 Gen 5
    G29 gen4
    Sig P320 X series VTAC
    M&P Compact 2.0 9mm
    Glock 43
    Hk P30 L
    SIG P229 9mm Legion

.40 guns are snappy. The gen 4 23 is probably as good as it gets. There's no substitute for range time, sadly. You'll have to spend the time and the money to become proficient. No way around that.
    Brudlbdings likes this.
    G19 Gen 5
    G19X
    G26
    G17 Gen 5
    G29 gen4
    Sig P320 X series VTAC
    M&P Compact 2.0 9mm
    Glock 43
    Hk P30 L
    SIG P229 9mm Legion

4. Remove Advertisements
    GlockForum.net
    Advertisements

LaserLyte makes an assembly that fits in your barrel and fires a laser beam when the trigger is pulled. They also make a target that registers hits. It would probably make a viable alternative to actual range time....but not nearly as much fun.
    Brudlbdings likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jdw174 View Post
    LaserLyte makes an assembly that fits in your barrel and fires a laser beam when the trigger is pulled. They also make a target that registers hits. It would probably make a viable alternative to actual range time....but not nearly as much fun.
    I train all the time with a laser trainer and I highly recommend it. there are two types one the inserts into the barrel from the front and runs on sound (trash, waste of money) and then there is the one that inserts into the chamber and that is well worth the money.

this is the one you want Click image for larger version.†

Name:	lt1.png†
Views:	123†
Size:	35.5 KB†
ID:	2433 this is the one that is a POSClick image for larger version.†

Name:	lt2.jpg†
Views:	115†
Size:	3.5 KB†
ID:	2434and this you don't need but that's up to you. I hang tee shirts in different parts of the house and train like that Click image for larger version.†

Name:	lt3.jpg†
Views:	119†
Size:	5.2 KB†
ID:	2435
    the difference between wisdom and intellect, wisdom foresees the dangers in life, and intellect studies the aftermath

I have got to get one of these.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have the laserlyte and laser target. I have the .40 cal laser for myself and the 9mm for my wife. We've shot hundreds upon hundreds of rounds with them. Truly improves trigger control and first shot accuracy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

imo there is no substitute for the real thing. less time with the real thing is better than more time without. map out some time when you can afford it and line up a friend who is experienced and have them help you. less time at the range can be ok if its quality time.

Thanks to one and all for your thoughts and advice about the bb pistol. I guess I'll forget that idea. But WOW, can't wait to check out the LaserLyte system. It sounds like a perfect way to practice in between trips to the range. I know there isn't any real substitute for actual range time but this sounds like a viable alternative, though not as much fun, I agree. I knew I'd get some great feed back and really appreciate everyone who responded to my query. I've gotten some GREAT pointers here since joining and look forward to learning more each and every day. Thanks again!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MA357 View Post
    Thanks to one and all for your thoughts and advice about the bb pistol. I guess I'll forget that idea. But WOW, can't wait to check out the LaserLyte system. It sounds like a perfect way to practice in between trips to the range. I know there isn't any real substitute for actual range time but this sounds like a viable alternative, though not as much fun, I agree. I knew I'd get some great feed back and really appreciate everyone who responded to my query. I've gotten some GREAT pointers here since joining and look forward to learning more each and every day. Thanks again!!!
    start out with the laser bullet and then see if you want to gut the target and yes they are no sub for the real thing but they will aid you in drawing and shooting your firearm from a holster. something a lot of ranges don't allow these days. with out a doubt your reactions will be seen with the trainer.
    the difference between wisdom and intellect, wisdom foresees the dangers in life, and intellect studies the aftermath

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links