What would you do in this situation?

This is a discussion on What would you do in this situation? within the Off Topic Discussion forums, part of the Off Topic category; Yesterday, a block away from where I live (not surprisingly, this happens all the time) a man was robbed. He was stopped by another guy ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: What would you do in this situation?

Yesterday, a block away from where I live (not surprisingly, this happens all the time) a man was robbed. He was stopped by another guy on the street, was told to hand over all his money, and the robber flashed a gun in his waistband.

It made me think. What if I was in that situation? Nobody was hurt, but how high must the "risk" get before you need to take over for your survival and draw and fire your weapon? Obviously you don't want anyone to get hurt. But if the guy robbing you has a gun, is that dangerous to the point where you should defend yourself? Or does he need to threaten to use it? Or to draw it?

If it's a matter of whatever I have in my wallet, whatever, I don't care. I'll just give it to the guy. But if he has a gun, how do you know he ain't gonna use it on you? Because that happens too. You just can't count on criminals to be reasonable. So my question is, how far would you let a the situation escalate before you would decide you can't take the risk of not being shot? How far is reasonable to not kill a man who doesn't actually intend to kill you while armed with a deadly weapon, and when does the moment of self preservation kick in?

When does it stop being a matter of possessions being lost and start being about the possible loss of your life?
    Last edited by cjhab90; 08-31-2013 at 09:05 AM.

why do you carry a gun if you are not going to do nothing. you really have to assess the situation; can you draw faster then he can? if his gun is still in his waste band and you yours I say you have a 50/50 chance. toss you wallet to his right side on the ground and make him go for it. now you have a better chance of winning, don't choke when it comes time to pull the trigger/ the dead person might be you.

last thing: practice ,practice ,practice... you have to so something at least 20 times a day for muscle memory to work so practice that draw until its smooth and all the "what if's" are worked out (shirt in the way, gun in the wrong position, gun to far under the belt line...etc.) I do all the time and you would be surprised what gets in the way. use some form of timer that goes off at random. an egg timer or your phone. most smart phones have timers and you can randomly select the time just try to stay in the 10 minute mark.
    slickrocktom, Doubletap and hoss like this.
    the difference between wisdom and intellect, wisdom foresees the dangers in life, and intellect studies the aftermath

I'm not opposed to killing someone who is a serious and immediate threat to my life, I was just pondering when that moment actually occurs. I haven't had any training in "threat" or encounters like this or anything, sadly. So you believe that if you're being robbed or something, and the guy flashes a weapon, than the situation is dangerous to the point of immediately going into "how do I get him before he gets me" mode? I would understand that. Because the thing I kept thinking about was "you just have no way of knowing" and how can you possibly trust that someone will be reasonable if he's flashing a gun and demanding your money. Obvious he's not.

I'm actually heading to the range later today to practice drawing from my concealed position. I have not practiced this yet with live ammunition and firing, so this will be some good practice. I didn't think of timing myself, my phone has one on it though, that's a good idea.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GlockForum.net
    Advertisements

I'm actually heading to the range later today to practice drawing from my concealed position. I have not practiced this yet with live ammunition and firing, so this will be some good practice. I didn't think of timing myself, my phone has one on it though, that's a good idea.

this on the range will be tough but still can be done. the element of surprise is the trick. I have a laser trainer in my G23 and sometimes what I do when I am watching TV and know a bag guy will pop up in a show I wait and when he does I shoot him with the laser. you would be surprised how fast you can get and it builds muscle memory at the same time but mostly its the element of surprise
    the difference between wisdom and intellect, wisdom foresees the dangers in life, and intellect studies the aftermath

this on the range will be tough but still can be done. the element of surprise is the trick. I have a laser trainer in my G23 and sometimes what I do when I am watching TV and know a bag guy will pop up in a show I wait and when he does I shoot him with the laser. you would be surprised how fast you can get and it builds muscle memory at the same time but mostly its the element of surprise[/QUOTE]

This just gave me a mental image of some old guy sitting in a beaten up lazy boy chair, glock holstered in the crack of the chair whipping the gun out and accidentally blowing a hole in his tube tv
    A gentle answer deflects anger, but harsh words make tempers flare.
    Proverbs‬ 15:1‬

Quote Originally Posted by cjhab90 View Post
    Yesterday, a block away from where I live (not surprisingly, this happens all the time) a man was robbed. He was stopped by another guy on the street, was told to hand over all his money, and the robber flashed a gun in his waistband.

It made me think. What if I was in that situation? Nobody was hurt, but how high must the "risk" get before you need to take over for your survival and draw and fire your weapon? Obviously you don't want anyone to get hurt. But if the guy robbing you has a gun, is that dangerous to the point where you should defend yourself? Or does he need to threaten to use it? Or to draw it?

If it's a matter of whatever I have in my wallet, whatever, I don't care. I'll just give it to the guy. But if he has a gun, how do you know he ain't gonna use it on you? Because that happens too. You just can't count on criminals to be reasonable. So my question is, how far would you let a the situation escalate before you would decide you can't take the risk of not being shot? How far is reasonable to not kill a man who doesn't actually intend to kill you while armed with a deadly weapon, and when does the moment of self preservation kick in?

When does it stop being a matter of possessions being lost and start being about the possible loss of your life?
    I kinda had a situation like this a couple years ago. My company asked if anyone wanted to tryout for the lineman program. I volunteered. The catch was they sent you back to school for two years to get an engineering degree. (no paycheck, but they paid for everything) I was single and 29yrs old so I tried out. To make money I started bouncing at local collage bars. One night I tossed a couple thugs out that were causing trouble, and bragging about being from DC and in a gang. The last guy wasn't going easy, when I got him to the door he spun around, (with his right hand) lifted his shirt and brandished a fixed blade knife tucked in his pants. Before he could let go of his shirt I knocked him out. As a bouncer you are not really allowed to do anything. When the police arrived, they said I was 100% in the right to defend myself.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

As the victim of a felony you have the right in Florida to use deadly force.

This just gave me a mental image of some old guy sitting in a beaten up lazy boy chair, glock holstered in the crack of the chair whipping the gun out and accidentally blowing a hole in his tube tv
    my dad had TV bricks but when he passed away my brother got them so I am stuck with a laser

Quote Originally Posted by Jordanjf86 View Post
    That would be Elvis, but there wasn't any mistake about shooting the tv.

Click image for larger version.

Name:	4257354853_0d34a57a1f.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	114.8 KB
ID:	2508

Quote Originally Posted by DocHolliday View Post
    That would be Elvis, but there wasn't any mistake about shooting the tv.

Click image for larger version.

Name:	4257354853_0d34a57a1f.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	114.8 KB
ID:	2508
    Haha. I wonder what kind of gun he shot it with?
    A gentle answer deflects anger, but harsh words make tempers flare.
    Proverbs‬ 15:1‬

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links