Big Pine Key homeowner has gun range in his yard, and it’s totally legal

This is a discussion on Big Pine Key homeowner has gun range in his yard, and it’s totally legal within the Off Topic Discussion forums, part of the Off Topic category; “I honestly had hoped no one would catch wind of it and it would become public knowledge,” Monroe County Sheriff Rick Ramsay said of the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Big Pine Key homeowner has gun range in his yard, and it’s totally legal

“I honestly had hoped no one would catch wind of it and it would become public knowledge,” Monroe County Sheriff Rick Ramsay said of the state law that pre-empts local ordinances. “I’m concerned now that people know. This isn’t about the right to own and bear arms. My concern is public safety and quality of life.”
    “Without any oversight, somebody’s neighbor could set up a gun range and invite his friends over and have a good old time shooting,” said longtime Monroe County Commissioner George Neugent. “That’s a little scary situation, and I say that as a gun owner and somebody who believes in the Second Amendment.”
    and now we know why Florida is called the gunshine state. with laws on the books like this its a wonder why people don't feel safe

Read more here: BIG PINE KEY: Big Pine Key homeowner has gun range in his yard, and it’s totally legal - Florida Keys - MiamiHerald.com
    the difference between wisdom and intellect, wisdom foresees the dangers in life, and intellect studies the aftermath

Knew a guy in Teton County, ID we’d sit in his house at his kitchen table and shoot at targets inside his barn.
    He was a range mstr at local public range and built this pvt range to specs at his home.
    Safety First...
    When seconds count ...police are only minutes away!
    PSmith, NRA Life Member, NRA Instructor, retired
    Glock 19c gen 3, Lone Wolf Barrel, Advantage Tactical Sights, ClipDraw
    ~ FREEDOM ~ First, Last and Always...

This may be a little extreme.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GlockForum.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by PSmith View Post
    Knew a guy in Teton County, ID we’d sit in his house at his kitchen table and shoot at targets inside his barn.
    He was a range mstr at local public range and built this pvt range to specs at his home. Safety First...
    Ha Ha...sounds like fun! Gotta love french doors (my own interpretation)!

I shot a ground hog in our back yard last summer...from inside our kitchen! In our neighborhood, that's pretty taboo to fire a gun for any reason...but since I didn't want them to know it was me, I fired from back inside the kitchen a few steps! The shot was only about 80'...one to the L shoulder, making him turn and bite at his left shoulder and the 2nd shot went through his ears...flopped over dead right there! I waited 'til dark, then carried him 1/4 mile out past the ball diamonds and into the woods!
    PSmith likes this.
    Stupid SHOULD Hurt!!!

~ Amishman44

Senior Member NunquamNonParatus's Avatar
    Yep you beat me to it. I was going to post a link to the Keys area local paper. I am whipped and can't read you link tonight. My brother lives in Key Largo.
    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to talk out your ass and remove all doubt." A. Lincoln (sort of.)
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"It seems to me a certainty that the fatalistic teachings of Mohammed and the utter degradation of the Arab women are the outstanding causes for the arrested development of the Arab. He is exactly as he was around the year 700, while we have been developing." George S. Patton

President/executive director of the NQNP STFU awards foundation.

Hi Amishman,
    Yep, we gotta live in the real world... not all signal-lights and urban ant-farms.
    When my kids were young I almost missed deer season due to work. Last day of season I was up crack of dawn, sipping coffee and looking at the sunrise. Noticed a deer in my horse corral licking a mineral block. I thought screw this, I feed those deer all winter off my hay stack, this ones mine.
    Put down my coffee, picked up my wife’s .243, stepped out on the front porch and shot that deer in the eye. Went back in and finished my coffee.
    Kids piled out of bed at the shot... ran down to the corral. We used it as a teaching experience... my daughter learned to hunt and for 16th birthday she went moose hunting in the Yukon with a girl friend.
    Nuff said... life is to be lived and it’s not at the local grocery store.

When my father- and mother-in-law left their home for a retirement community a few years back, they left me, my wife, and three kids in their 20's in charge of it, meaning we could use it, live in it, throw parties in it, whatever, as long as we maintained it, which was the point. They didn't want to rent or sell it. It sits on 10 acres between two small towns, Chapel Hill and Hillsborough, but has other houses and even a rural residential area behind it. So among other things of course we built a shooting range! It was right after my son and I got our CCP's and Glocks so we needed somewhere for target shooting. So after a great month of shooting a resident of the nearby neighborhood calls my father-in-law at the retirement community and says, "Do you know people are shooting guns on your property?" Well, my FIL was aghast, not knowing how this was possible since nobody in his family would stoop to such brutish behavior! Yeah, he's one of those buttoned-down old farts who's all about business and not at all about having fun. Hadn't fired a gun since the 40's as a teen and never owned one in his life. So he called my son, the presumed culprit, and my son thought up a white lie and thought it up quick, saying he had had some friends out a couple of times and they'd done some shooting (which was true). He would tell them not to bring their guns out to the property again! So an awesome range down the shitter. It was all perfectly legal. The sheriff even told us as long as we keep it to "respectable" hours we were completely within our rights. Anyway, the old man can't live forever! Meanwhile we joined here. Which is how I came to be an NRA member.
    PSmith likes this.

there needs to be a certain amount of respect for others around you and not subject them to the noise
    the difference between wisdom and intellect, wisdom foresees the dangers in life, and intellect studies the aftermath

Hi Barstool ...agreed ‘he who makes the noise... owns the noise’
    You can’t expect neighbors to wear hearing protection so you can shoot.
    It’s better that you use firearms equipped with noise suppressors.

On the flip-side, if you BUY land next to an existing rifle range (airport, speedway, etc) you can’t complain about the noise later.
    Have a good day...

Quote Originally Posted by barstoolguru View Post
    there needs to be a certain amount of respect for others around you and not subject them to the noise
    Our sheriff agreed with my assertion that no more than a half-hour at a time and only on weekends in daylight hours was reasonable for a 10-acre property owner. That a-wipe who called my FIL was actually more worried that we'd shoot toward his house than the noise. Remember the cardinal rule that non-gun owners think all gun owners are complete imbeciles with no regard for human life.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links