Think Twice about Shotguns for Home Defense / they suck - Page 2

Think Twice about Shotguns for Home Defense / they suck

This is a discussion on Think Twice about Shotguns for Home Defense / they suck within the Other Firearms forums, part of the Other Firearm Forums category; As heavy of a sleeper that I am I might not have time to rack one in the chamber. Besides what if you have a ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Think Twice about Shotguns for Home Defense / they suck

Senior Member NunquamNonParatus's Avatar
    As heavy of a sleeper that I am I might not have time to rack one in the chamber. Besides what if you have a fail to feed? It only has to happen once!
    Last edited by NunquamNonParatus; 12-26-2014 at 11:05 PM.
    David2014 likes this.
    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to talk out your ass and remove all doubt." A. Lincoln (sort of.)
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"It seems to me a certainty that the fatalistic teachings of Mohammed and the utter degradation of the Arab women are the outstanding causes for the arrested development of the Arab. He is exactly as he was around the year 700, while we have been developing." George S. Patton

President/executive director of the NQNP STFU awards foundation.

I have an 870 and a glock by my bed. I wouldn't hesitate to grab the shotgun first. Also an intruder would not hear me rack it, there is already one in the pipe!
    Glocks: 17, 19 FDE, 20SF, 21, 22, 23, 31

NRA Life Member.
    Not offended.

I'm just having a really hard time taking him seriously. He has the obligatory beard but no visible tats and no tactical hat. But seriously, he seems to have a lack of understanding of ballistics even though he is using it to support his argument. His argument about ease of use and differences between models is meaningless outside the parameters of being a trainer who is training several individuals with different shotgun models. So called 'energy dump' of projectiles imparted by remaining in the target is not what kills an animal (humans included). The quick death of an animal shot with a projectile is a direct result of blood loss and/or central nervous system shutdown.
    ~Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.
    Thomas Jefferson

~You may all go to Hell. I will go to Texas. ~ Davy Crockett

Don't ever mistake my silence for ignorance, my calmness for acceptance, my kindness for weakness or my attention for admiration ~ Me

4. Remove Advertisements
    GlockForum.net
    Advertisements

Montgomery, Tx now, but California, Germany x2, Georgia, Alabama, Hawaii and, oh yeah, Vietnam twice
    don't know what's been posted, but this guy disagrees with the title of this thread (play video - nifty) : Best Tactical Shotgun - Top 10 Lethal Weapons For Home Defense!
    Martin Baker Tie Club member

shotgun vs. hand gun= shot gun causes more damage to you home, shot gun leaves a bigger mess to clean up from what remains of the Perp. Hand guns are safer to leave loaded in small quickly to access safe, leave smaller holes in the walls and don't require as much mop water.

Quote Originally Posted by Bull100 View Post
    shotgun vs. hand gun= shot gun causes more damage to you home, shot gun leaves a bigger mess to clean up from what remains of the Perp. Hand guns are safer to leave loaded in small quickly to access safe, leave smaller holes in the walls and don't require as much mop water.
    But then again, if the perp survives the handgun shot... some liberal jury hearing a civil lawsuit he or his family files against you might feel sorry for him and his condition... so you end-up with a judgement requiring you to contribute to paying for his medical expenses for the rest of your [or his] life. If he is deceased.. the only issue is if it was a justifiable homicide. [Not that I'm advocating shoot to kill.]
    You can't blame people for wanting to protect themselves, as they see the reality of law enforcement: that law is enforced only after the law shows up. That can be a problem if you're already dead.” Greg Gutfeld / Fox News

Senior Member NunquamNonParatus's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bull100 View Post
    Big deal. Mission 1? Stop the threat. IMO the shotgun is my best choice.
    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to talk out your ass and remove all doubt." A. Lincoln (sort of.)
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"It seems to me a certainty that the fatalistic teachings of Mohammed and the utter degradation of the Arab women are the outstanding causes for the arrested development of the Arab. He is exactly as he was around the year 700, while we have been developing." George S. Patton

President/executive director of the NQNP STFU awards foundation.

Senior Member PurpleMountainOutdoors's Avatar
    The absolute best HD firearm would be an SBR AR15 with 30 rounds of varmint 55 gr ammo.

Next up would be a 22/17 or 35/34 loaded up with good HPs.

IMHO
    Using Tapatalk

We could argue till the lights go out what is the best firearm for whatever task. The internet is ripe with threads debating this and still there has been no definitive answer. The internet is also full of misconceptions about shotguns. That being said I still encourage people with limited or no firearms experience to pick up a shotgun first and this is why.
    1) it's always easier to shoot more accurately with a long gun then a hand gun.
    2) it's faster to learn to shoot a shotgun effectively then it is to learn to use a handgun effectively
    3) cost- the price of a good quality handgun starts out $200 more then a quality shotgun and rifles only make the disparity in cost greater
    4) the shotgun is more likely to cause a incapacitating wound then a handgun, incapacitation is the name of the game. I don't really care if the perp lives or dies I want him to immediately stop what ever it is he is doing that justifies the use of deadly force.
    5) shotguns are just plain fun, take that first time shoot to a trap range and not only will you be giving them a tool that adequately addresses their self defense needs but introduce them to a exciting and challenging sport.
    6) shotguns are endorsed by vice-president Joe Biden

The shotgun has a lot of disadvantaged to but some quality training (which anyone who is considering using a firearm for self defense should seek) and regular practice these short comings can be mitigated. At the end of the day the shotgun is not the best gun at anything other then hunting birds, it is however cheap enough and good enough at just about everything you can use a firearm for other then long range shooting that every gun owner should have one and as a first gun you wouldn't be doing yourself a disservice.

6) shotguns are endorsed by vice-president Joe Biden
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fw eye.jpg 
Views:	200 
Size:	14.3 KB 
ID:	5674 really?
    the difference between wisdom and intellect, wisdom foresees the dangers in life, and intellect studies the aftermath

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links