Glock Forum banner

Daddy + Daughter Range Date...with Ruger SP101 .22lr

4K views 17 replies 12 participants last post by  Glockcat 
#1 · (Edited)
My daughter (age 11) and I had a 'daddy + daughter range date' yesterday and she had fun shooting my Ruger 10/22 and 4" Ruger SP101, both in .22lr! She put about 100 rounds through both of them and had a great time doing so! The good news is, she has a great 'basic' set of skills and understands aim process + incorporates proper breathing technique as well. Some shots were shot 'free-hand' (no rest) whereas others were done with the barrel resting on the box of .22lr ammo...where her accuracy was better! (OH, the 2 in the top right circle target were mine...at 21'/7 meters...daddy had to 'show' here how it was done...he he!)

Glasses Smile Vision care Fashion Purple
Purple Elbow T-shirt Recreation Hat
Gas Engineering Machine T-shirt Room

Afterwards, we walked through the gun shop when we were finished...and she saw a turquoise-frame + inlaid Glock 26...and, while she likes turquoise, dark purple is her favorite color, and she said if it were purple she would want it...soooo...anyone know where I can get a Glock factory (OEM) 'purple' G-26? Ha Ha!

See less See more
#2 ·
Sweet !
And everyone should start out on a .22 that's where you learn the fundamentals and it's soft enough not to develop bad habits.
To many people are jumping right into a .380 or a 9mm and bypassing all the basics it seems now because of the recent explosion in carry and conceal.

I was very fortunate when I got schooled it was by an old timer and not just old in terms of how long he was a gunner.

#8 ·
Sweet! And everyone should start out on a .22 that's where you learn the fundamentals and it's soft enough not to develop bad habits. To many people are jumping right into a .380 or a 9mm and bypassing all the basics it seems now because of the recent explosion in carry and conceal. I was very fortunate when I got schooled it was by an old timer and not just old in terms of how long he was a gunner.
That's exactly why I bought the SP101 .22lr in 2009...specifically so I'd have a nice .22lr to teach all my kids the basic safety + fundamentals of shooting handguns...I probably won't even mention bumping-up in caliber until they are 14-15 (unless they ask) so they can simply enjoy shooting .22's and practicing their safety and handling skills!

Ha Ha...maybe by then Glock will introduce a 'purple' G-26 or 43...and daughter will get her wish?

#6 ·
Nice! I've taken my wife shooting before....she was ok with it but that was about it. She recently hit me up to taken her to the range and shoot CC type guns. I think the driver was a friend of hers just obtained her permit. So, my wife and I are hitting the range Friday.....and since my daughter is on spring break, she's coming along too!

#12 ·
#10 ·
That makes so very happy that you and your daughter had that precious time together. As you know you will both cherish those memories forever. If I had a oem purple G26 I would gladly give it to you to give to her. It's sucks that I do not have one.

#13 ·
We are grateful for opportunities like these...and try to make the most of them when we can!

At least she understands that there is a need for individuals to be able to protect themselves and that certain skills are not 'innate' but rather need to be developed and then practiced for consistency!

Ha Ha...and when she's 16...if she is the best shot, at her age, in the county...I won't let it bother me...I promise!

#14 ·
Good times. I've been wanting to take my daughter out again to fire her Cricket I got her a while back. We only went out once so far but hopefully I can take her again this spring/summer. My boys are younger but I'm looking forward to buying them their first rifle also. Probably a few more Crickets in my future haha.

Reactions: Amishman44
#16 ·
I picked-up a Ruger 10/22 with which to teach our kids how to shoot (starting around age 5...with adult guidance, of course) and they took to it like butter on bread! My goal, should it be attainable, will be to buy each of them one in their favorite colored-frames...which means I'll be buying a purple one, a royal blue one, and a zombie green one...ha ha!

The best news is that all three (3) of our children are 'super-obedient' on shooting days...they follow and obey all safety instructions and procedures while on the range. They understand that shooting is a privilege and not a 'right' and that a lack of cooperation, arguments, and/or failure to heed safety procedures will get them 'bumped' from shooting for the day!

#15 ·
X-Werks does Glocks in purple Cerakote!

Reactions: Amishman44
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.