Purchasing new AR, not sure which to buy. First AR. - Page 2

Purchasing new AR, not sure which to buy. First AR.

This is a discussion on Purchasing new AR, not sure which to buy. First AR. within the Other Firearms forums, part of the Other Firearm Forums category; Originally Posted by NunquamNonParatus Depending on the Ruger you're looking at? Not sure what is done to the inside of the barrel. If you're not ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Purchasing new AR, not sure which to buy. First AR.

Quote Originally Posted by NunquamNonParatus View Post
    Depending on the Ruger you're looking at? Not sure what is done to the inside of the barrel. If you're not going to war? WTF, you won't wear any of them out.
    No, but you want to get the most for the money.

Sent from my G3223 using Tapatalk

Anyone of them is fine. Even cheaper to build your own. Anderson lower ($50) online Midway USA upper $300...

Quote Originally Posted by Stevek65 View Post
    Anyone of them is fine. Even cheaper to build your own. Anderson lower ($50) online Midway USA upper $300...
    I am still not comfortable enough to put one together myself at all. And I only buy my guns from my local dealer. No online ordering for me.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GlockForum.net
    Advertisements

Senior Member NunquamNonParatus's Avatar
    S&W #1 long gun last year. If it's in stock grab it and get to rock'n! :-)

Buy once, cry once. Get a Colt or BCM and you'll never be sorry you did. In the current market, a good basic carbine from either of those two manufacturers can be had for well under $1K.

You're welcome.
    jbaker30 likes this.
    ~Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.
    Thomas Jefferson

~You may all go to Hell. I will go to Texas. ~ Davy Crockett

Don't ever mistake my silence for ignorance, my calmness for acceptance, my kindness for weakness or my attention for admiration ~ Me

Quote Originally Posted by fallhunter View Post
    I am still not comfortable enough to put one together myself at all. And I only buy my guns from my local dealer. No online ordering for me.

Basically all you have to do is put together the lower receiver, just a few parts and a little tapping with a small hammer. Plenty of YouTube videos on it. Then just buy a complete Upper for it, that it. I just recently did my first one, easy!

Quote Originally Posted by LoboTBLMC View Post
    Buy once, cry once. Get a Colt or BCM and you'll never be sorry you did. In the current market, a good basic carbine from either of those two manufacturers can be had for well under $1K.

You're welcome.
    I j to have about $1000 total after I put everything on it. They have two colts in, one is over $1000 as it sits and the other is just under. So the first one won't be a Colt.

This being a first AR, it's going to be factory complete, except for sights, grips, and a few other fun accessories. I have $1000 to play around with. If it's going to get into more than that, I will skip the AR and just add more hand guns or another shotgun.

Aint nothing like a Colt M4

I have a COLT EXPANSE II M4 that is 223 /5.56 and is great. You just have to be careful that you don't order the old Expanse that is entirely different.The expanse ll comes with the carry handle, dust cover and has a barrel with the indent in it. as well as the forward assist. It is a totally different gun then the old Expanse and is still about $700.00.
    A truly great gun for the $$$$$

Ronnie
    Last edited by ronnie948; 08-25-2017 at 01:05 PM.
    MisterMills357 likes this.
    U.S. Army --- D.A.V. --- N.R.A.--- American Legion --- Florida carry
    If your "NOT" a member of the N.R.A. - It is time for you to sign up.
    We need to turn 5 million members into 15 or 20 million members

Quote Originally Posted by fallhunter View Post
    I am purchasing my first AR. I have three choices, since I just won't spend $1000+ on a gun. I also only purchase from a local dealer, and this is what they have. They are all three the same price.

Ruger AR-556
    APF Econo Carbine, optics ready.
    M&P Sport II

I also have the option if an APF Econo Carbine with an optic from the factory.

I am aware that there may be better deals to be had online and so on, but I like to give my business to the local guy.

Which feels best in your hand? What is ergonomically better? What is economically better for your budget?

The beauty of AR-15s is that internals and even the barrel can be changed. You can even exchange the uppers.

I have 8 of that platform in rifles, carbines and pistols. For my carbines and rifles I changed out the triggers for Competition triggers.

Once I learned how easy it was to work on an AR-15, I rebuilt an upper, built two lowers, built an entire rifle.

It's a matter of the right tools and space. I'll tell you the best thing I ever bought was a Bench vise. There's a handful of other tools like an armorer's pin punch set, armorer's wrench, vise block, and spare parts in case you mess up. If you know how to disassemble a firearm, the only skill is the patience of tapping in Barrel pins. YouTube makes it crazy easy.

The biggest pain is assembling/aligning the gas block, attaching the forward assist, and the bolt release.

I can build one in about 45 -60 minutes.

People love the Geissele but I love my Elftmann triggers adjusted to 2.75 lbs. it's a drop in, so it's stupid easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    cr19 likes this.

I am stuck on Colt, I have fired a single M4, on Rock & Roll (Full Auto). That thing was smoking when I finished. It was too hot to hold, and I had to stop before I burned up the barrel.
    And it never so much as hiccuped, no malfunctions---it was new--- right out of the box. I was in the National Guard, when I fired it, and it was fun. So, that is why I am going with Colt.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links