Purchasing new AR, not sure which to buy. First AR. - Page 3

Purchasing new AR, not sure which to buy. First AR.

This is a discussion on Purchasing new AR, not sure which to buy. First AR. within the Other Firearms forums, part of the Other Firearm Forums category; Originally Posted by CDR_Glock Which feels best in your hand? What is ergonomically better? What is economically better for your budget? The beauty of AR-15s ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Purchasing new AR, not sure which to buy. First AR.

Quote Originally Posted by CDR_Glock View Post
    Which feels best in your hand? What is ergonomically better? What is economically better for your budget?

The beauty of AR-15s is that internals and even the barrel can be changed. You can even exchange the uppers.

I have 8 of that platform in rifles, carbines and pistols. For my carbines and rifles I changed out the triggers for Competition triggers.

Once I learned how easy it was to work on an AR-15, I rebuilt an upper, built two lowers, built an entire rifle.

It's a matter of the right tools and space. I'll tell you the best thing I ever bought was a Bench vise. There's a handful of other tools like an armorer's pin punch set, armorer's wrench, vise block, and spare parts in case you mess up. If you know how to disassemble a firearm, the only skill is the patience of tapping in Barrel pins. YouTube makes it crazy easy.

The biggest pain is assembling/aligning the gas block, attaching the forward assist, and the bolt release.

I can build one in about 45 -60 minutes.

People love the Geissele but I love my Elftmann triggers adjusted to 2.75 lbs. it's a drop in, so it's stupid easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    They are the same price. They feel the same to me, and even look the same. The only real difference that I see is that the APF has a Magpul forend on it.

Sent from my G3223 using Tapatalk

IMO, I don't think you could go wrong with the ruger or the smith. I don't know much about the other one. But at this point I might lean towards the Ruger, since it is probably made in New Hampshire or Arizona. Not gun unfriendly Massachusetts. And this probably doesn't help you at all.
    Glocks: 17, 19 FDE, 20SF, 21, 22, 23, 31

NRA Life Member.
    Not offended.

Senior Member NunquamNonParatus's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kj4963 View Post
    IMO, I don't think you could go wrong with the ruger or the smith. I don't know much about the other one. But at this point I might lean towards the Ruger, since it is probably made in New Hampshire or Arizona. Not gun unfriendly Massachusetts. And this probably doesn't help you at all.
    Ruger=NC https://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/ins...mayodan-plant/
    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to talk out your ass and remove all doubt." A. Lincoln (sort of.)
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"It seems to me a certainty that the fatalistic teachings of Mohammed and the utter degradation of the Arab women are the outstanding causes for the arrested development of the Arab. He is exactly as he was around the year 700, while we have been developing." George S. Patton

President/executive director of the NQNP STFU awards foundation.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GlockForum.net
    Advertisements

Purchasing new AR, not sure which to buy. First AR.

Quote Originally Posted by fallhunter View Post
    They are the same price. They feel the same to me, and even look the same. The only real difference that I see is that the APF has a Magpul forend on it.

Sent from my G3223 using Tapatalk
    How about the action of the bolt, the trigger, adjustments of the stock, and how many magazines come with it. It's hard to beat a Smith or Ruger. But just remember that anything can be changed by you.

I do prefer a 1/7 twist rate over others, as the faster twist handles heavier bullets.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by NunquamNonParatus View Post
    Nice, I did not know that. Thanks.

NRA Life Member.
    Not offended.

Didn't really look into much, but grab a gun, has a Ruger for $479, and a smith for $489. Both with iron sights.

NRA Life Member.
    Not offended.

I also looked at an Anderson today as well. It was an upper and lower. I think it was going to be like $480 with tax. I also saw a Diamondback for the same price.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by fallhunter View Post
    I also looked at an Anderson today as well. It was an upper and lower. I think it was going to be like $480 with tax. I also saw a Diamondback for the same price.

Get an Anderson. I'd stay away from Diamondback. Their record in their pistols isn't good at all. I realize you can't really mess up an AR, but still, I'd stay away.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

First and foremost - Stay away from Diamondback....they are not even worth crap. At least crap can be used as fertilizer.

Between Ruger and S&W... I'd choose the Ruger.

The Colt Expanse is a good buy. Colt also sells a 6920 without stock or handguards for under $700. Those are two items that just about everyone seems to replace with Magpul furniture or a free float rail of some kind.

Check out the Springfield Armory Saint. I forgot to mention it along with the Colt and BCM.

Have you checked Gunbroker?

Where do you live and where are you shopping that a basic Colt carbine is over $1K? Was this just a basic 6920?
    Last edited by LoboTBLMC; 08-26-2017 at 08:24 AM.
    ~Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.
    Thomas Jefferson

~You may all go to Hell. I will go to Texas. ~ Davy Crockett

Don't ever mistake my silence for ignorance, my calmness for acceptance, my kindness for weakness or my attention for admiration ~ Me

Quote Originally Posted by LoboTBLMC View Post
    First and foremost - Stay away from Diamondback....they are not even worth crap. At least crap can be used as fertilizer.

Between Ruger and S&W... I'd choose the Ruger.

The Colt Expanse is a good buy. Colt also sells a 6920 without stock or handguards for under $700. Those are two items that just about everyone seems to replace with Magpul furniture or a free float rail of some kind.

Check out the Springfield Armory Saint. I forgot to mention it along with the Colt and BCM.

Have you checked Gunbroker?

Where do you live and where are you shopping that a basic Colt carbine is over $1K? Was this just a basic 6920?
    I have looked online a little bit, but as I stated, I am going to stick to buying from local dealer. I will stay away from the Diamondback. I liked the quad rail that was on it, that was all.

I am also going to pass on the M&P, since I can not change out the little piece under the trigger with a Magpul part.

I have it narrowed to the Ruger and the APF now. I can get the Colt, but it is $100 more, and that's a set of sights. Or a flashlight.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links