Glock Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what round causes more damage? a federal 165 gr hydroshock JHP or a winchester 230 gr JHP? both being .45acp. reason im asking is cause the hydroshocks are so much more expensive for a lighter bullet

·
Registered
124 Posts
I am a proponent of 230 grain 45 acp bullets. The permanent wound cavity tends to be bigger with a bigger round. Lighter bullets have a tendancy to deflect when they come in contact with bone than a heavier bullet. However, if the round can achieve the FBI standard of 12" of pentration with the 165 gr round, then you should be fine. Check with Hydroshock for the specs on the round for penetration results.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I'm with glockanista - 230gr. I prefer Speer Gold Dots which can be found for around $.50/round online.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I am also in the 230 gr. camp. Federal 230 gr. HST is what I carry.

Reactions: WCDUB

·
Registered
10 Posts
Buy some of each and find a range with the big steel poppers. Move to about 20 feet and shoot it with each in turn and see which knocks it over.

·
Premium Member
567 Posts
165gr and 230gr are on the opposite spectrum. Why not split it in the middle with 200gr? Personally I prefer 200gr bullets in .45ACP - this way you still get a heavy bullet, as well as a higher velocity. If you do +P you can push them out at 1,000+fps. That's some decent power! ;)

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
I'm with glockanista, Bigger hole = more tissue damage, more impact damage and trauma, not to mention more lead and brass to tear off and get shredded throughout the body.

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
I think some depends on the climate, heavy or light clothing being worn by the bad guy. This subject is super subjective.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts