Glock Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
totally stupid from the beginning. especially the appeals court who voted 3-0 to allow this to go forward. people ask all the time what is wrong with this country? well heres a big part of it!

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Realizing of course, that this is in the RepubliK of KaliforniA...
How about this...child endangerment...for having that weapon accessible to that child...I'd think he'd be upset with his department, first...

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Completely ridiculous...the man is responsible for his own safety regarding his handgun by not leaving it where a 3-y/o child could find it and shoot it! Glock should counter-sue him for stupidity! His department should have fired him for stupidity!

As a EMT of 21 years, and as a former Reserve Officer with my local sheriff's department, I have seen and been around too many LEO's who are lazy and inept with their department issued firearms...leaving them lying around the house, in the open, un-secured, outside...and even in their vehicles. I know of one officer who LOST her sidearm TWICE and was simply issued a replacement the first time...and then had to buy her replacement the second time!

Stupid SHOULD hurt!

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
Realizing of course, that this is in the RepubliK of KaliforniA...
How about this...child endangerment...for having that weapon accessible to that child...I'd think he'd be upset with his department, first...
You beat me to saying that. I agree.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Completely ridiculous...the man is responsible for his own safety regarding his handgun by not leaving it where a 3-y/o child could find it and shoot it! Glock should counter-sue him for stupidity! His department should have fired him for stupidity!

As a EMT of 21 years, and as a former Reserve Officer with my local sheriff's department, I have seen and been around too many LEO's who are lazy and inept with their department issued firearms...leaving them lying around the house, in the open, un-secured, outside...and even in their vehicles. I know of one officer who LOST her sidearm TWICE and was simply issued a replacement the first time...and then had to buy her replacement the second time!

Stupid SHOULD hurt!
I know of a local sheriff's deputy who left her shotgun on the trunk and drove off losing it. They issued her another with a warning. The 2nd one a local called in stating that they found a shotgun in their yard and wanted to know if the deputy that was their the night before owned it. She was fired for that one.

On topic, he should have been fired. Glock should be able to recover any costs they incur because of a legal action like this that is 100% without merit. An leo should live as an example. Unfortunately it seems this one hasn't learned the concept of personal responsibility yet.

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I know of a local sheriff's deputy who left her shotgun on the trunk and drove off losing it. They issued her another with a warning. The 2nd one a local called in stating that they found a shotgun in their yard and wanted to know if the deputy that was their the night before owned it. She was fired for that one.

On topic, he should have been fired. Glock should be able to recover any costs they incur because of a legal action like this that is 100% without merit. An leo should live as an example. Unfortunately it seems this one hasn't learned the concept of personal responsibility yet.
In the words of a great athlete, soldier, shrimp fisherman, and otherwise all around great American..."Stupid is, as stupid does..." :p

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
Going back in time I am sure they were shootings similar to this with revolvers, but back then there were not all these frivilous law suits.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Possibly playing devil's advocate here, but ok say you require all manufacturers to install a grip safety in their designs. What amount of resistance would be safe enough to prevent a three year old from squeezing. How bout a four year old do you take them into consideration? Sorry but he is the one the wrong for not properly securing the weapon. I grew up around guns and knew from a very early age not to touch because I knew what could happen. Complete lack of personal responsibility in my opinion.

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Possibly playing devil's advocate here, but ok say you require all manufacturers to install a grip safety in their designs. What amount of resistance would be safe enough to prevent a three year old from squeezing. How bout a four year old do you take them into consideration? Sorry but he is the one the wrong for not properly securing the weapon. I grew up around guns and knew from a very early age not to touch because I knew what could happen. Complete lack of personal responsibility in my opinion.
Exactly...and only because he is in the Republik of Kalifornia is this thing still in the news... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
115 Posts
It's a shame this officer paid with his ability to walk for his complete and total ignorance and utter ineptitude for leaving his service weapon accessible to his child. But to sue for a safety? At what point is it deemed to be sufficiently safe? What if the kid was 15? You going to require biometrics in order to permit a gun to be fired? It's bad enough we have ******** doing this sort of thing, but to have a LEO leading by this stupid example? It sucks when natural selection decides you're too stupid to live... that's no reason to foul it up for everyone else. Unfortunately, we don't have justices with the gonads to stand up for such things... and we'll never see that happen in the People's Republik of Kolifornia.

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
Randy, nothing ever surprises me about the happenings in Kalifornia.

·
Premium Member
567 Posts
That's just stupid, how many guns other than 1911's and XD's have grip safeties?? How can they even make that argument?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I think gun safety first starts with the gun owner.
No matter how many "safeties" they put on the gun, it would still be dangerous in the hands of an idiot.

Safe shooting to everyone. Cheers.

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
No matter how many "safeties" they put on the gun, it would still be dangerous in the hands of an idiot.

I agree 100% and Welcome to the Forum!

·
Registered
115 Posts
My soon-to-be-ex-2nd-line-manager used to love to toss around denigrating old sayings in an attempt to deride you whenever someone would ask for this or that to help with your job (I will NOT miss dealing with her). One of her favorite sayings is "A fool with a tool is still a fool." Well, in this case, her "wise" old saying is dead on. The gun is a tool. But if you are a fool with a gun, you are nothing more than a fool with a tool... a very deadly one at that. And this story points out - tragically so - that LEOs are no different in this regard.

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

so true ...Welcome aboard...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts