Glock Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen a few post concerning the .45 GAP. I've also seen mixed reviews. Question; is the .45 GAP going to make it? I'm a dye in the wool .45 ACP gunner. I see the GAP as a niche round, I think Glock is the only one around that chambers for this round.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Performance wise there is no real difference between .45 GAP and standard pressure .45 ACP. However, it is kind of a niche round. There are 5 major state LE agencies that use the G37, G38, or G39 pistols. There are also some smaller agencies also, but nothing near the popularity of the G22 with LE.

I like .45 ACP and probably would have went with a G21SF but the grip was still just too big for my hand. In the Glock lineup the G37 is my only choice if I want a full size 45. I like that my G37 frame is the same dimensions as my G34 or G22. However, I won't argue that ACP is a lot easier to find than GAP. If it weren't for the internet, it would be hard to find ammunition in bulk. I order about 95% of my ammo online anyway.

At this point I don't think the GAP round will ever be a viable competitor with the .40. If it had come out in 1989, I think the .40 might not be as popular today. As for competing with the .45 ACP, the GAP will never surpass its popularity either. The only other company to make a pistol in GAP right now is Bond Arms. Springfield used to make an XD chambered in the round, but they have stopped doing so. I don't think the grip size was as big a difference between their .45 ACP and .45 GAP pistols. I have also heard about another company that will be making a .45 GAP pocket pistol soon. However Glock remains the only major manufacturer for the round.

I don't think its going away anytime soon. There are enough out there that ammo manufacturer will always be making ammo for the it. The smaller companies like Georgia Arms can cash in on the round more than the larger companies. However, if the big LE agencies that use the round, go with another caliber, I could see Winchester dropping it from the Ranger line-up. That would suck for me. The Ranger ammo is my preferred carry/defense ammo in the calibers that I carry. My plan is to stock up.

Personally, I love my G37 and I am very happy with the GAP round. Some people love the round. Some people hate it. Some just don't care one way or the other. I can never understand how anyone can vehemently oppose any caliber. If I pull the trigger and it goes bang, I am happy.

·
Registered
124 Posts
SArge, you sould like an ole 1911 guy, like myself. The GAP round appears to be gaining ground with law enforcement these days. Florida Highway Patrol, just ditched their 40's for the G-37 and 38. THat order represented about 2500 guns. That said, I think it is a gimmick round. Ballistics are roughly in between the 40 S&W and the 45 ACP.

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
I am still on the fence about the 45 GAP. So far, and I have been known to change my mind, the GAP is as Col Cooper used to say, A good answer to a non existent problem.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Everyone I know that has one - loves it. I guess it's sorta like the .357 SIG. Good ballistics, but less than good ammo availability/pricing, especially in local big boxes.

·
Registered
35 Posts
bottom line for me would be "how much does it cost to shoot?" acp costs me 25 cents a pop. Thats about all I can stand without dropping down to 9mm or .22 lol.
Cheers
RW

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
I believe it'll be around...remember what they said about the .40 S&W...it made it...As long as the LE community keeps an interest, it'll grow in popularity, somewhat...don't know that it'll ever take off like the .40 S&W...

·
Registered
10 Posts
bottom line for me would be "how much does it cost to shoot?" acp costs me 25 cents a pop. Thats about all I can stand without dropping down to 9mm or .22 lol.
Cheers
RW
Same as .45 ACP if you reload. A bit more per box if you don't. I've had my G38 since 2005 and love it. It's accurate, plenty of stopem power, small frame, concealable, way less expensive to purchase than any of my 1911's and so far it just keeps running. I like it a lot more than, and don't feel I have to baby it like, my Kimber.

Mdvctry

·
Registered
126 Posts
I just purchased a 39 Gen 3 this morning from a friend. Have not shot it yet, but have done some research, and it seems to be just as deadly as a 45ACP. The capacity of the gun is kinda weak, but if I need more than a 6+1, I probably have a bigger problem on my hands than I can handle anyway. I'll try to get a range report up after hitting the range Tuesday.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just picked up a G37 and can't wait to shoot it. Not to mention I am just trying to get a Glock in every caliber!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Finally got out to the range the other day to shoot my 39. It is definitely a small gun for my big hands. Especially after shooting about 500 rounds through my 34 earlier in the day. It shot well, more accurate than I had anticipated, and the kick seemed less than my M&P 40c. I just ordered a IWB holster for it and will probably be carrying it quite a bit.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I accidently bought 6 boxes of Federal 185 GR Hydra-Shok in 45 G.A.P. a while back (box is identical to the same in 45 ACP, except for 'G.A.P.'), anyone interested? 5 boxes are unopened, one has been opened, 20 rounds per box.

·
Registered
241 Posts
To the original question, no. I don't think it will myself. I like the round and think it is a good idea. I just think if some other major makers had jumped on the gap bandwagon it might have had a chance. The fact that a lot of the early adopters (LE agencies) had to ditch them because of problems didn't help it any.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Same here. I will be sticking with the ACP so I have one round. I need to keep the confusion down. Don't want to grab the wrong ammo on the run if I opt for the .45

·
Registered
316 Posts
I have yet to actually shoot a G.A.P but would love too. I have talked to a few people who own them and I have never heard anything bad about them. I have even read some PD's actually use these. I dont know wich ones. If I ever find one around here to actually hold and fire I might actually get one. Dave

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I have yet to actually shoot a G.A.P but would love too. I have talked to a few people who own them and I have never heard anything bad about them. I have even read some PD's actually use these. I dont know wich ones. If I ever find one around here to actually hold and fire I might actually get one. Dave
Florida Highway Patrol uses gen4's.

·
Registered
126 Posts
My G39 has become my EDC gun. Love the size and the round. I have fired a few hundred rounds through it and I like it more and more as time goes on.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts