Glock Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will this affect performance or firing capability? Sorry, I'm new to this but absolutely LOVE the sport! Thank you for your assistance!

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Wipe it down, dry it off and lube per the manual. Everything should be OK.

What kind of cleaning fluid?

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
I assume you mean something like Hoppe's, shouldnt hurt anything just follow RMD's guidlines above.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Will this affect performance or firing capability? Sorry, I'm new to this but absolutely LOVE the sport! Thank you for your assistance!
some teasing and some good advice above. makers of gun cleaning products make these items so they won't harm any part of your gun. if not true they would put a warning on the product.

·
Registered
21,518 Posts
Glock has a tough finish on them unlike bluing which is an oxidation of the metal (before bluing it was browning...flintlocks and muskets). Bluing could be removed fairly easy with a piece of fine steel wool and some acetone (removing rust the wrong way). Tennifer (early Glock’s) is a hard coating and since it is a trade secret I would have to say it is an epoxy bonding process done through electro plating because of the thin very uniform coating

Reactions: Nimbus

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
What kind of "cleaning" fluid...? Brand name...?

·
Registered
33 Posts
OK. This has obviously become a HAZMAT situation! Follow my instructions to the letter:
1) Put the gun in an approved container. (A FedEX box will adequate.)
2) Seal it and attach an appropriate address label. Shipping will paid on delivery.
3) Mark the label "cda926". This is a special code that designates a secret safe disposal site.

Thank you for your prompt cooperation!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi everyone, thank you for the support! I got Remington cleaning fluid throughout the gun a few months ago after shooting it flawlessly. Didn't take apart to clean it just put a cleaning rod through the barrel (no field stripping). Two months later I took it to the range and I had a lot of misfiring, however, I do not know if it was the gun or the ammo. The round had an indenture from where the firing pin hit, however there was no "boom" for the lack of a better term. After I took it to the range, I did field strip it to clean it, however, I cleaned the barrel with a cleaning rod and used a brush to clean the receiver, slide, etc. After doing so, I found out that cleaning oil was for the barrel only, no other areas on the gun. I have not fired it since. Very mad with myself. Gun could be ruined please help! Thank you!

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
gun is probably not ruined. lets back up a little and begin by changing cleaning fluid to what its real name is, solvent etc. i am not familar with remington. next read your owners manual from cover to cover and if you don't have one call glock and they will send you one free or you may be able to find on line. then ask a friend, someone at the range or a qualified instructor about proper cleaning and operation. getting mad at yourself is not going to do you or anyone else any good. following proper procedures will do you a lot of good and help you avoid serious injury to the gun and yourself. i don't mean to sound like i am giving you a lecture but guns have to be handled safely and properly.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Hi everyone, thank you for the support! I got Remington cleaning fluid throughout the gun a few months ago after shooting it flawlessly. Didn't take apart to clean it just put a cleaning rod through the barrel (no field stripping). Two months later I took it to the range and I had a lot of misfiring, however, I do not know if it was the gun or the ammo. The round had an indenture from where the firing pin hit, however there was no "boom" for the lack of a better term. After I took it to the range, I did field strip it to clean it, however, I cleaned the barrel with a cleaning rod and used a brush to clean the receiver, slide, etc. After doing so, I found out that cleaning oil was for the barrel only, no other areas on the gun. I have not fired it since. Very mad with myself. Gun could be ruined please help! Thank you!
It takes a lot to ruin a firearm, don't get too worried about that. It sounds more like you may have had access solvent in the gun that contaminated the primers on the rounds and caused them to not fire. As Jimmy mentioned. A Glock doesn't need a lot of cleaning or lube so be sure and read the book that came with it for proper instructions

1 - 15 of 15 Posts