Glock Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats up everyone...im new to the site and Glocks in general. I just purchased my first Glock (19 gen3) and cant stop looking at all the aftermarket parts i can play with here. After disassembling it last night, i didn’t like the idea of the plastic guide rod. i noticed today i can replace it with either a stainless steel or tungsten guide rod. Has anyone had experience with all three of these options here? Any suggestions?

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
Welcome to the forum...I've never had a problem with a stock Glock guide rod...however, there are some folks who I'm sure will happen along here shortly that can offer more advice...

·
Registered
62 Posts
Although I have never had a Glock guide rod fail, I feel your pain on the plastic. Here are some points to consider.
The stainless and tungsten ones add rigidity and should make a slight difference in accuracy due to the added stiffness and the added weight. It will also absorb a little recoil too. Tungsten is heavier than steel, so consider that before you purchase. If price is an issue, go with the stainless steel, the tungsten ones are pretty expensive.
Lone Wolf (Lone Wolf Distributors - Main Page) is a good source for guide rods and whatever else you might need for your G19.
Ghost Inc. (Home) is another sourse for parts, but they deal mostly with trigger parts.
Glock Store (glockstore.com) has a very good selection of parts from all different manufacturers.
If you are happy with the weight as is, but want a stiffer recoil rod, try the Scherer recoil rod stiffener. Basically, it is a small metal rod that you insert into the factory guide rod and it makes it rigid without adding much weight.
HTML:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SCHERER-RIDGID-RECOIL-ROD-GLOCK-19-23-NEW-BOX-/330711223488?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4cffecccc0
These are inexpensive and if you decide you still want an all metal guide rod, you are not out much money. I have one for my G21 that I am going to try out when I get home in June.
Beware of junk. I have a collapsible stainless rod at home for my G21. The inner rod looks as if someone finished it with a grinder, very rough operation too. If the price is very low, the quality probably is too.
My advice first and foremost is to shoot the crap out of it, then see what you don't like about the pistol. Change out those items and put the rest of the money toward ammo.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the responses. tcecil...what do you mean by rigidity? would this make it more difficult to pull the slide back?

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
+1 on tcecil88. Also I have never heard of a guide rod failure from any of the forums I am on. I am sure there are some out there but the expected life/round count before service replacement of the part I would bet the normal shooter would not exceed in their lifetime.

PS welcome to the forum

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

Your G19 will serve you well for a LONG time with its stock parts; there's absolutely no need to change the guide rod.

It's certainly your prerogative to do so, but it isn't necessary at all.

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

Your G19 will serve you well for a LONG time with its stock parts; there's absolutely no need to change the guide rod.

It's certainly your prerogative to do so, but it isn't necessary at all.

Yeh...what he said...^^^But the possibilities are endless for mods on Glocks...Not a big believer in all of them, but I'm starting to see the usefullness of some of them...It's all about what makes you happy...and secure with the dependability of your weapon...Glocks are built to run...and last...

·
Registered
655 Posts
Make it the way that you want it. That is what is so great about Glocks you can customize them to the max or they can be bone stock. Which ever way you go it will be a wonderful pistol.

Let us know which route you take, and keep us updated as to how it is.

Oh yeah.... Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
When I traded for my G21SF RTF2 it already had the tungsten guide rod, all of my other Glocks have the stock plastic one. I really cant tell the differance, as all of my Glocks are more accurate than I am and I consider myself at least an average marksman if not better.
Bottom line, if it makes you happy do it, otherwise leave it alone and it will work just fine.

My reccomendation for changes, for what that is worth is put in a 3.5# connector and fiber optic or fiber optic/night sites.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Thanks for the responses. tcecil...what do you mean by rigidity? would this make it more difficult to pull the slide back?
The metal rod makes the factory plastic rod stiff or rigid. This is supposed to help accuracy. You would use the same recoil spring, so the slide would not be anymore difficult to pull back. Glocks are more accurate than us out of the box, so I doubt our marksmanship skill will ever be held back by the Glock. Probably the only way to tell if the insert works is to put the pistol in a Ransom rest and take all of the human factors out that hurt accuracy.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2 cents worth. I was also excited to make a few mods to my new G19C Gen3 when I got it earlier this year. Started with cosmetic mods... magwell and plug, Hogie grip, beaver tail, larger slide lock and stop lever. Even did the '25 cent trigger job' you see on You Tube. The best mod, however, was the Ghost 3.5 Rocket Trigger Kit (including the springs). In retrospect, I would say that this is the only mod this gun really needed to make it a range gun, besides new sights, which is what essentially I use it for. I installed green/red Truglo sights that made it a lot better. All was well up to then and I really enjoyed my trips to the range. Then, I decided to instal a SS Competition Recoil Spring for Glocks I ordered from Glockstore.com (item #T0653-15 15lb Spring 'green') and it definitely was not happy with it at all. The slide would lock up halfway. Hitting the slide stop lever would close the slide, but had to do that after every shot. Decided to stop and rethink the situation. I put the stock rod/spring back on and and no problems at all. Still trying to figure this one out to understand 'why'. I know there's a logical technical explanation. If the metal rod made a big difference versus the plastic one I'm sure Glock would be building them with the metal rods. I'm now convinced they take 'Perfection' seriously. So make it look good to your liking, but when it gets to internal mods... my suggestions is do one at a time and test, before you even attempt to do the next one. Enjoy your Glock.

·
Registered
316 Posts
As a rule I love metal guide rods. None of the glocks I have ever owned had metal. All thru the years I have never felt the need to change one out with a metal. Dave

·
Registered
241 Posts
It won't increase accuracy. The only reason I could justify using them in the past was because I needed it to use aftermarket Wolff springs. On a model 23C I was using for concealed carry and competition I found issues with the slide going into battery after about 3600 rounds with the factory spring assemblies. I figured out once a round count with the Wolff springs but don't remember the number. It was slightly higher. Once I figured that out I simply replaced at 2000 rounds figuring that was a safe number. Now I have a Gen4 23C and have no plans of getting aftermarket guide rods since the factory recoil spring assembly is so cheap. Tungsten vs. stainless steel vs. factory I couldn't tell a difference in recoil. A 23C doesn't recoil much anyway IMO.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.