Glock Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Greetings,

I have not been shooting for a few years, and have some .40 cal target ammo that is 10 years old (UMC brand I believe). Visual inspection looks good. Would you recommend shooting this through my Glock 23 Gen4?

Ditto for some home defense rounds - hydra shock?? - stored in magazines??

I also have some .22 LR that is 25+ years old - visual inspection shows corrosion - so I will dispose of this properly at my next opportunity.

Thanks in advance!
BigCruiseMan

·
Registered
21,518 Posts
I have shot some WW2 ammo at still shoots but it counts to how it was stored. SD ammo should be rotated out every 6-12 months and yes that ammo is fine

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Shot some original black talons with no problems. So maybe 20 years old. Nice shooting round I must say.

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
Ditch the corroded stuff, for sure...If the ammo passes a visual inspection, and hasn't been treated roughly, I'd probably try some samples of each for shootability.. that's just me...

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
Ditch the corroded stuff, for sure...If the ammo passes a visual inspection, and hasn't been treated roughly, I'd probably try some samples of each for shootability.. that's just me...
I agree. Just a few years ago i shot some ammo that dated back to the Korean War. In fact I have SD ammo stored in military ammo cans that are at least 20 - 25 years old.

If SD ammo is loaded and unloaded into mags then check for bullet setback, otherwise, no problem.

Reactions: rowabi

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
all depends on condition and how it was stored. You can have ammo that was less than a year old stored in the wrong conditions and have issues. I wouldn't use any ammo for personal protection that I didn't know the condition of but I would shoot almost anything at the range

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
all depends on condition and how it was stored. You can have ammo that was less than a year old stored in the wrong conditions and have issues. I wouldn't use any ammo for personal protection that I didn't know the condition of but I would shoot almost anything at the range
That's a great point, ZK...Range only...

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

Everyone has given you some good advice.

I'll add that personally, I'd replace the Hydrashock with more a modern SD design - Gold Dot, HST, Ranger, etc.

·
Registered
90 Posts
What do you do with old ammo? How do you dispose of it safely?

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
If it appears to be in good condition, I shoot it :)

If it's in bad shape, I give it to the range guys; they have some special bucket for the misfits (not sure what they do with it).

·
Registered
21,518 Posts
What do you do with old ammo? How do you dispose of it safely?
Out at the private range we had a bucket with oil in it for duds and damaged ammo, something about the oil contaminating the primmer and powder

1 - 13 of 13 Posts