Glock Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a box of speer gold dots 115 grain for my g19
And a box of speer gold dots 155 grain for my 27 what do u guys think of this ammo?

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
if your asking about the weight 9mm 115 is good for range, for carry 147 grain, 40 cal 155-165 for range 180 federal hydra shok for carry. if your asking about the name speer, imo its one of the best. you may find it interesting both speer and federal have charts on line of weights and fps

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I bought those as self defense rounds, are u saying the 115 and the 155 are not strong enough to carry for protection? Pretty much i wanna know if ever needed would they get the job done? I bought them because they were the only speer gold dots the lgs had.

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
In my opinion this is a very subjective subject. There are many differant schools of thought on the best carry ammo. For instance, and not to start an argument, I dont carry 9mm for self defense. I carry either 10mm, 357auto or 45acp. Let me say again this is my opnion and I am not going to debate the matter.

If you feel confident with the 115 gr 9mm and can shoot it accuratley then that is what would be a good carry load for you. In my opinion, shot placement is more important than caliber.

When your life or that of another is threatned, keep shooting until the threat is stopped, regardless of the caliber.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I like ur reply(for some reason i cant like replies on here lol)

In my opinion this is a very subjective subject. There are many differant schools of thought on the best carry ammo. For instance, and not to start an argument, I dont carry 9mm for self defense. I carry either 10mm, 357auto or 45acp. Let me say again this is my opnion and I am not going to debate the matter.

If you feel confident with the 115 gr 9mm and can shoot it accuratley then that is what would be a good carry load for you. In my opinion, shot placement is more important than caliber.

When your life or that of another is threatned, keep shooting until the threat is stopped, regardless of the caliber.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Speer Gold dots are excellent. I prefer their 124gr +p in 9mm, but I wouldn't want to get shot by any of their products :)

·
Registered
188 Posts
Speer Gold dots are excellent. I prefer their 124gr +p in 9mm, but I wouldn't want to get shot by any of their products :)
What he said ... For the Gen4: G-19... Plus Speer,Short Barrel,Gold dots 124gr +p in 9mm for my Gen: G-26...

·
Registered
241 Posts
It's already covered but I'll add my opinion. Speer is a well known, well established, and respected brand of ammunition. Gold dots are accurate IMO also. Some prefer heavy for caliber bullets, some light. In 9mm I like bullets in the 124 grain range. I'd suggest doing some research into the ballistics of your preferred carry load and try to find cheap practice ammo that is as close to the ballistic equivalent as possible. The best ammo is the ammo you are confident you are accurate with. Nothing wrong with the load you have chose. Personally I like Winchester Ranger ammo. Specifically in 40 I prefer heavier weight 180 grain Ranger Bonded JHP.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
...find cheap practice ammo that is as close to the ballistic equivalent as possible. The best ammo is the ammo you are confident you are accurate with...
Excellent point. Whatever you choose to carry, practice with a similar round.

I really like Speer's Lawman line for that very reason.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts