Glock Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought this was an interesting pass along since so many want to know what bullet is the best. I think this will not change the caliber wars but it just might change the way someone thinks when it comes to buying a gun for personal defense

An Alternate Look at Handgun Stopping Power

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I thought this was an interesting pass along since so many want to know what bullet is the best. I think this will not change the caliber wars but it just might change the way someone thinks when it comes to buying a gun for personal defense

An Alternate Look at Handgun Stopping Power
I remember reading this last year and the firestorm of Internet forum chatter that followed.

Looking at the last chart, I took from it that a shotgun & rifle are best and the 357 is still magical (for a handgun) :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Nothing really new there. I have been aware of this for a long time. All handguns are underpowered, so carry whatever you shoot best/most accurate/fastest and has the highest magazine capacity. My choice is Glock 17 EDC. Occasionally my Glock 20, if I'm going to be in the woods.

·
Premium Member
567 Posts
One thing I take from that article that is for certain - 9mm is still the favorite caliber for people to get shot with :cool:

·
Registered
21,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
One thing I take from that article that is for certain - 9mm is still the favorite caliber for people to get shot with :cool:

Could it be because it’s the most popular caliper amongst Glock owners or because it’s The preferred bullet of gang bangers ?

·
Registered
21,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I remember reading this last year and the firestorm of Internet forum chatter that followed.

Looking at the last chart, I took from it that a shotgun & rifle are best and the 357 is still magical (for a handgun) :)
Nothing like a caliber war to get people stirred up

·
Registered
32 Posts
The author said most of the 9mm shots were ball ammo, I took that to mean it was possiby military data? In a note at the end he stated not to read into the 9mm data too much because of that fact? I don't know of any LEA using ball ammo?

·
Registered
61 Posts
The psychological aspect seems to be extremely important in stopping a raging maniac. I seen some news footage of a guy getting hit with LEO's shooting him I believe it was14 times and he was still fighting. Turns out he was on bath salt or pcp. Now someone in there rright mind would be in a state of shock and go down on the fist shot or 2 I would think

·
Registered
21,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
The author said most of the 9mm shots were ball ammo, I took that to mean it was possiby military data? In a note at the end he stated not to read into the 9mm data too much because of that fact? I don't know of any LEA using ball ammo?
Or is it that military ball ammo is cheaper and more accessible say like at Wal-Mart WWB range ammo.

LEO's shooting him I believe it was14 times and he was still fighting. Turns out he was on bath salt or pcp
Trauma kills so if the bullet doesn't hit the central nervous system they are going to keep on going until they bleed out

1 - 11 of 11 Posts