Glock Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone ever used an ankle holster for a subcompact? Just curious how it worked out. Comfort, concealment, printing. If so, I would like to see some photos if possible. If even a subcompact is too heavy, then the idea wouldn't work. Let me know what you think. :)

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Only reason I'm inquiring is that I will be doing some things and going places that require the "neat, shirt tucked in look". Since I have always carried IWB with a covering garment, I was trying to figure out some different alternatives. I always won't be able to wear a covering garment, jacket, pullover, so just want to get some ideas. Thanks all!!

·
Registered
21,518 Posts
I had one years ago and personally didn't like it due to the weight on the ankle. Here is a Fobus that seems to be popular

ankle holster.jpg

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Did you wear jeans? And if so, did it conceal well?

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
i tried it and didn't like it! strictly speaking my experience: the gun has to be real small and real light the only gun i found to be just manageable was the s&w model 351pd weighs about 11-12 ozs fully loaded with 7 22 magnum rounds. the holster was uncle mike's and in theory would be very useful. the actual holster goes around your ankle with another strap that goes around your leg just below the knee to support the weight of the gun. everything is padded and made with velcro and is totally adjustable. problem i found is keeping the adjustment tight while you walk because when you put the holster on the strap that goes just below the knee has to be pretty tight so it doesn't slide down. therefore making it uncomfortable and a general pain in the neck to have to keep adjusting. i looked at other makers such as galco and they all have the same basic design. not my cup of tea!

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i tried it and didn't like it! strictly speaking my experience: the gun has to be real small and real light the only gun i found to be just manageable was the s&w model 351pd weighs about 11-12 ozs fully loaded with 7 22 magnum rounds. the holster was uncle mike's and in theory would be very useful. the actual holster goes around your ankle with another strap that goes around your leg just below the knee to support the weight of the gun. everything is padded and made with velcro and is totally adjustable. problem i found is keeping the adjustment tight while you walk because when you put the holster on the strap that goes just below the knee has to be pretty tight so it doesn't slide down. therefore making it uncomfortable and a general pain in the neck to have to keep adjusting. i looked at other makers such as galco and they all have the same basic design. not my cup of tea!
Thank you for the very detailed review. How about other options while wearing tucked in. With or without an outer garment.

·
Registered
21,518 Posts
with the ankle holster it was more a weight issue, having weight on one leg but not the other made me feel out of balance

How about other options while wearing tucked in. With or without an outer garment.
If you don't have a belly band, try one, they are about 20 bucks and you can tuck your shirt in and no one ever see a gun. I have one and I wear my shirts tucked in all the time. They work great in the summer with shorts and a tee or a light shirt here is mine loaded up pepper spray, knife, flash light, extra mag and gun along with emergency cash. It keeps my pocket free for cell ph. and keys

100_1837.JPG all of that stuff is hanging out to show it but all of it tucks into the BB

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was thinking about one of those. Like the design and function looks to be awesome!

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
good question. i am basically in the waist band type of guy. being retired i mostly wear golf type pullover shirts that don't need to be tucked in. if on occasion dress clothes ( suit etc, 3 times in the last ten years ) i just keep the jacket on. if your talking limited use for a leg holster time wise you may be ok with it but all i mentioned still applies especially the weight of the gun. your lcr could work probably weighing in about 15 ozs loaded but then your next problem would be to find a holster designed for a gun with no hammer. they do make them but i have never seen one. the only other option i can think of is downsize to a ( mouse gun ) like the lcp and go with a pocket holster.

·
Registered
21,518 Posts
I made changes to mine like adding a Glock sport/combat (cut the ears off and glued it in. allows me to re-holster with ease) and with a needle and thread you can modify them to hold almost anything

[video=youtube;NfGBmGTXNJk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfGBmGTXNJk[/video]

Go to eBay and you can see the different makes, get the 6 inch heavy material one and it will last you a long time

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
good question. i am basically in the waist band type of guy. being retired i mostly wear golf type pullover shirts that don't need to be tucked in. if on occasion dress clothes ( suit etc, 3 times in the last ten years ) i just keep the jacket on. if your talking limited use for a leg holster time wise you may be ok with it but all i mentioned still applies especially the weight of the gun. your lcr could work probably weighing in about 15 ozs loaded but then your next problem would be to find a holster designed for a gun with no hammer. they do make them but i have never seen one. the only other option i can think of is downsize to a ( mouse gun ) like the lcp and go with a pocket holster.
Thanks 1jimmy! Well, first of all, the little lady loves the LCR so that isn't happening! LOL! I really do like the small LCP's. I'm pretty much sold on Ruger products and I actually looked at a LCP on the last store visit. Might work out well. I would love to carry the SR22 .22LR but I don't like the idea of a .22 not being a good weapon for protection.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
speaking about concealment, I', heading out in the morning to pick up my new (to me) preowned 1999 Chevrolet Silverado. That truck is the ultimate in concealment! Several great places to carry the Glock, or 2! :)

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
i had an lcp and it worked well but my fingers are too long for any of the mouse guns and i have trouble pulling the trigger with any degree of accuracy. and yeah ruger makes nice guns i have an sr9c and a sp101 327 magnum both real nice

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Anyone ever used an ankle holster for a subcompact? Just curious how it worked out. Comfort, concealment, printing. If so, I would like to see some photos if possible. If even a subcompact is too heavy, then the idea wouldn't work. Let me know what you think. :)
I use an Uncle Mike's ankle holster. It's nice and soft. It does have some exposed Velcro backing that I need to cover though. If I go sock-less it can rub you raw, but I do like it.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I use an Uncle Mike's ankle holster. It's nice and soft. It does have some exposed Velcro backing that I need to cover though. If I go sock-less it can rub you raw, but I do like it.
Thanks ZK!

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
speaking about concealment, I', heading out in the morning to pick up my new (to me) preowned 1999 Chevrolet Silverado. That truck is the ultimate in concealment! Several great places to carry the Glock, or 2! :)
Ankle carry goes against the grain for me...Never liked the idea for me personally, but I hope you find the combo that works for you...and congrats on the "conceal mobile"... :D

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ankle carry goes against the grain for me...Never liked the idea for me personally, but I hope you find the combo that works for you...and congrats on the "conceal mobile"... :D
Thanks rowabi! As usual, you have a way with words. (conceal mobile) Picked it up this morning. :)

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
I have tried a couple of ankle holsters and just did not work. Try a Conceal-it-Tshirt, you just have to use it with shirts with some room in them where you can tuck them in and then blouse them at the waist on both sides.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have tried a couple of ankle holsters and just did not work. Try a Conceal-it-Tshirt, you just have to use it with shirts with some room in them where you can tuck them in and then blouse them at the waist on both sides.
I have been looking at those. Thanks! :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts