Glock Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking at another gun webstie and just happened to find this. Looks like apex made a extractor that is suppose to be better than the stock one. So far it is for the new model 9mm. I will be interested in seeing if they are actually are better. I went to their website and looked at it. looks like at this time they are sold out. here is a link to look at it.

https://apextactical.com/store/product-info.php?pid67.html

·
Banned
966 Posts
I'll be keeping my eyes on this product. I'm far from impressed with the extractor on my G23. As I just wrote on another thread, about 1 in 50 casings hits me in the forehead. It's absolutely my only complaint with the gun or with Glocks in general. It's minor, sure, but if I can fix it by throwing a little money at it, I will.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I'll be keeping my eyes on this product. I'm far from impressed with the extractor on my G23. As I just wrote on another thread, about 1 in 50 casings hits me in the forehead. It's absolutely my only complaint with the gun or with Glocks in general. It's minor, sure, but if I can fix it by throwing a little money at it, I will.
Which generation and what kind of ammunition? I would think as long as they were coming out still it might be a ejector issue. Possibly a worn extractor plunger spring also.

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
Maybe I just dont put as many rounds downrange as most of you, but I dont have a problem with brass hitting me in the face. About the only time I get hit with brass is on the indoor range when a piece might hit the sidewall of the booth and it bounces back on me. Mostly happens when I am leaning too far forward of the shooting shelf.

·
Banned
966 Posts
No, it's not worn, gun has only had 700-800 rounds through it since I bought it in May. Gen4. I've used a few different types of ammo, mostly Federal American Eagle, and I'm not really sure if the problem is only with one type or more likely with one type. The gun normally ejects 6-8 feet to the right like everybody else's, but as I say, about 1 in 50 comes right back at me. I'm a little surprised that people find this surprising because I've heard other people on other forums have the same complaint. I would think anybody who insists on wearing eye protection at the range at least acknowledges that this can happen. And does.

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
Keep in mind that eye protection when shooting, especially at the range is not only for protection from your brass but your neighbors, or a revolver that spits lead. I wear safety glasses at the indoor range or a pair of Oakley wraparound at the outdoor range. Oakley has protective lenses in their sport sunglasses. I also wear a pair of Oakleys when on the Harley.

·
Registered
241 Posts
No, it's not worn, gun has only had 700-800 rounds through it since I bought it in May. Gen4. I've used a few different types of ammo, mostly Federal American Eagle, and I'm not really sure if the problem is only with one type or more likely with one type. The gun normally ejects 6-8 feet to the right like everybody else's, but as I say, about 1 in 50 comes right back at me. I'm a little surprised that people find this surprising because I've heard other people on other forums have the same complaint. I would think anybody who insists on wearing eye protection at the range at least acknowledges that this can happen. And does.
No effense but 1 in 50 makes me think you might be causing it somehow. I had a gen2 that didn't do that in years of heavy shooting. My current gen3 doesn't. Makes me wonder if you'd have that problem if you were using a gen3 instead. Of course I haven't shot a gen4 23. I'm wondering if that dual recoil spring assembly causes a difference in slide velocity. People say gen4 .40's are softer shooting making me think the recoil spring assembly is too strong to the point that even if you have the same ejectors or ejector lengths as the case may be you would see the occasional btf. People never saw this in gen1 but gen1 had lighter recoil springs giving higher slide velocity even with a weaker grip. Also if it happens at the end of a mag only. That is when I see people having grip issues seem to have them when the weight of the gun combined with too light a grip on it really show them.

·
Registered
960 Posts
IMO, I have no problem with the ejection of the brass with my 23. Even if it was an issue, I wouldn't even worry about it. I have had many 5.56 spent brass down my shirt and yea, it isn't pleasant but it's no big deal to me. As long as I have good eye protection, I practice at the range as if I'm shooting a bad guy. So, the last thing I worry about is the brass flying out! Just my opinion. :)

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
No effense but 1 in 50 makes me think you might be causing it somehow. I had a gen2 that didn't do that in years of heavy shooting. My current gen3 doesn't. Makes me wonder if you'd have that problem if you were using a gen3 instead. Of course I haven't shot a gen4 23. I'm wondering if that dual recoil spring assembly causes a difference in slide velocity. People say gen4 .40's are softer shooting making me think the recoil spring assembly is too strong to the point that even if you have the same ejectors or ejector lengths as the case may be you would see the occasional btf. People never saw this in gen1 but gen1 had lighter recoil springs giving higher slide velocity even with a weaker grip. Also if it happens at the end of a mag only. That is when I see people having grip issues seem to have them when the weight of the gun combined with too light a grip on it really show them.
I've wondering the same...1 in 50 certainly makes it tough to pattern or substantiate much as to the cause....

·
Banned
966 Posts
Oh, I'm definitely causing it. By pulling the trigger. No argument there. And no offense to you, but your experience with Gen's 1, 2, and 3 have no bearing on my Gen4. Just a few minutes with some Google searching and you'll see that other Gen4 owners have had the same, and in the case of 17's and 19's, even worse ejection issues. Those owners report on various forums that they fixed the problem with Lone Wolf ejectors, some sent it back to the factory, some took it to a gunsmith, and so on. But there's no question about the cause -- pulling the trigger. If you know of some way to pull the trigger differently such that 100% of ejections are clear, please enlighten the forum.

·
Banned
966 Posts
I've wondering the same...1 in 50 certainly makes it tough to pattern or substantiate much as to the cause....
Random events don't have a pattern (by definition) so I don't think "tough" comes close to describing how it would be to predict the occurrence. 1 in 50 was a description to help characterize the intermittency of the situation, not the results of arduous shell counting.

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
Random events don't have a pattern (by definition) so I don't think "tough" comes close to describing how it would be to predict the occurrence. 1 in 50 was a description to help characterize the intermittency of the situation, not the results of arduous shell counting.
Not being critical, dude...just saying that it makes it hard to figure it out within the description that you gave...those were your words...With random events, you try to see if there is a pattern somewhere, or at least rule it out. "Random" is just that...until you determine differently...There's no hardline indicator there...I don't think I'd start replacing parts over it, yet...hope ya get it resolved... :)

·
Banned
966 Posts
Not being critical, dude...just saying that it makes it hard to figure it out within the description that you gave...those were your words...With random events, you try to see if there is a pattern somewhere, or at least rule it out. "Random" is just that...until you determine differently...There's no hardline indicator there...I don't think I'd start replacing parts over it, yet...hope ya get it resolved... :)
Hmm .. no hardline indicator. So it may or may not be an extraction/ejection issue? I'm pretty sure there's a hardline indication that the problem is brass in my face caused by non-ideal ejection of the spent casing. As to why the ejection may be less than ideal can only be explained by the system that ejects it. Wait, I can't believe I'm writing this. This is ridiculous. When your car runs out of gas do you look for "hardline evidence" as to why it won't run?

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
Hmm .. no hardline indicator. So it may or may not be an extraction/ejection issue? I'm pretty sure there's a hardline indication that the problem is brass in my face caused by non-ideal ejection of the spent casing. As to why the ejection may be less than ideal can only be explained by the system that ejects it. Wait, I can't believe I'm writing this. This is ridiculous. When your car runs out of gas do you look for "hardline evidence" as to why it won't run?
I don't know...I don't let my car run out of gas... Bottom line, I'm with you on the fact that it's a nuisance, getting hit in the face, but why so infrequent..? It seems that it would be a more "regular" event if it was a definite extractor problem...And not having any Gen4's, I can't make any comparisons there...If you feel that you want to try another extractor, do it...hope it works for ya...

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
Question for you...Was there ever a period of time that it didn't have this problem, and then at some point it started doing it at random, or has this pretty much always been the case?

·
Registered
21,518 Posts
If 1 in 50 fired brass hits you in the face it is the angle of the gun at the time of shooting. Now; if all of then hit you in the face it could be the extractor. I have read that you can take a file to the extractor and change the angle to change the direction of ejected brass.

Something to remember too is the ejector (part of the trigger housing) assists in ejecting brass and a slight bend can and will change the angle of flight of the brass too. (This is just a guess) but if the ejector in making contact with the casing to low it will push upwards causing the casing to want to fly high (think of a baseball when the bat hits in low, you get a pop fly)

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I cant remeber, getting old here but when the 4th Gens came out they were having problems with the recoil springs and ejectors but that was in the earlier ones. When I bought my factory refurbhished Glock G-17 Gen4 I called Glock to see what they did when they refrubished it and they looked it up and told me all they did was replace the guide rod assembly and the extractor and all 3 mags were brand new. He could not tell me who owned it first but I am assuming it was a PD return. when it was sent back to Glock it came with no mags that why all 3 of mine were new and as a extra little bonus who ever had it before me had Trijicon nightsites installed. you might want to check and see if you have a earlier model. So far I have 1000 rounds thru mine and the brass has never kicked back at my face. If I am pointing the gun shooting it the brass kicks out at about 2:30 or 3:00 o'clock position. might be worth a call to Glock. Good luck.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Oh, I'm definitely causing it. By pulling the trigger. No argument there. And no offense to you, but your experience with Gen's 1, 2, and 3 have no bearing on my Gen4. Just a few minutes with some Google searching and you'll see that other Gen4 owners have had the same, and in the case of 17's and 19's, even worse ejection issues. Those owners report on various forums that they fixed the problem with Lone Wolf ejectors, some sent it back to the factory, some took it to a gunsmith, and so on. But there's no question about the cause -- pulling the trigger. If you know of some way to pull the trigger differently such that 100% of ejections are clear, please enlighten the forum.
I carry a Gen4 17 everyday I go to work. I've never had this issue. I thought we were talking about 23's though so I restricted myself to them. Frankly a gun is a gun. I did not discuss pulling the trigger. I discussed slide velocity. I'd bet money that you could convert to a pre gen4 slide assembly or even better an aftermarket conversion allowing you to use a Wolff spring rated at 1 pound less than factory and your issue would disappear. You are coming off a bit hostile in your reply and I don't see the reason why. Just trying to help you. I know others in many forums report this problem and I feel 99% do not understand the real cause either.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I was looking at another gun webstie and just happened to find this. Looks like apex made a extractor that is suppose to be better than the stock one. So far it is for the new model 9mm. I will be interested in seeing if they are actually are better. I went to their website and looked at it. looks like at this time they are sold out. here is a link to look at it.

https://apextactical.com/store/product-info.php?pid67.html
I know owners of the early gen4 9mm's were eagerly awaiting this. I think the new recoil springs & ejectors fixed most of the problem pistols. My G17 (4/12 test fire) doesn't show any similar symptoms. Right about the time I bought it, everyone with a problem 9mm was waiting for Apex to release this. They make good stuff, too.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts