Glock Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a Blackhawk holster serpa I believe its a level 2, CQC. Anyway I keep hearing how bad they are and I hear people talk about a thumb break. Im just wondering why its so bad, and THis does not have a thumb release, it has a release by the trigger.. You all knw what im talking about, But I cant see it being harmful (knock on wood) unless you were to curl your finger around the trigger as you put the gun in the holster.. I tried to see if the trigger would pull as I pulled the gun from the holster and its very if not impossible to pull the trigger, Your finger is straight. even when I did curl it upon takin it out I couldnt get it to click, so Im wondering if this is a different blackhawk then the ones I keep hearing about.. I mean if this is truley dangerous, I will switch back to my leather holster. Any response would be appreciated, though Im sure people are tired of holster talk. If so just delete it, I apoligize in advance

·
Registered
21,518 Posts
blame the shooter and not the gear...well heck we can throw safety out the window with that thinking. in a pinch I don't wanna think about anything but the threat

[video=youtube;GDpxVG9XFJc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDpxVG9XFJc[/video]

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
blame the shooter and not the gear...well heck we can throw safety out the window with that thinking. in a pinch I don't wanna think about anything but the threat

[video=youtube;GDpxVG9XFJc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDpxVG9XFJc[/video]

Thanks for the video, the safari makes sense to me. Seems like a pretty good holster

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
Interesting, I wasnt familiar with the Serpa. And wont be!

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
I own a Serpa for all my various pistols and highly recommend them. We've covered this on other posts here on the particular holster and you can review the comments on those posts as well. It all comes down to knowing and training with you gear. If you watch or read about all the complaints about the holster it all comes down to the users booger hook. If you use the holster properly your booger hook will never be on the trigger, it will always be in the position that it is supposed to be when you first draw from your holster. This is a holster you will need to train with. Remember it's a security retention holster not a leather holster with a snap or open face.

PS if you watch Tex's explanation for the AD, he blames himself and not the holster for shooting himself in the leg. He was using a different holster all day and then switched to a Serpa with a different gun and forgot what holster he was using.

·
Registered
21,518 Posts
Well here is the problem I have with this video. He talks about tex gebner shooting himself with a serpa holster but tex says he was using a 5-11 thumb drive holster
this video has some bad language so if you are sensitive don't watch it but after all he did shoot himself in the leg

[video=youtube;zYvAxLX6OzE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYvAxLX6OzE[/video]

there must be a reason most gun training sites bar the rig or make people jam the locking mech open

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I own a Serpa for all my various pistols and highly recommend them. We've covered this on other posts here on the particular holster and you can review the comments on those posts as well. It all comes down to knowing and training with you gear. If you watch or read about all the complaints about the holster it all comes down to the users booger hook. If you use the holster properly your booger hook will never be on the trigger, it will always be in the position that it is supposed to be when you first draw from your holster. This is a holster you will need to train with. Remember it's a security retention holster not a leather holster with a snap or open face.

PS if you watch Tex's explanation for the AD, he blames himself and not the holster for shooting himself in the leg. He was using a different holster all day and then switched to a Serpa with a different gun and forgot what holster he was using.
It is unnatural to me to use the booger finger lol, I been useing it for a little while,I always keep my finger straight and flat away from the trigger unless Im ready to fire. but I'd try the other holster.. so far I really Love the serpa..

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Well here is the problem I have with this video. He talks about tex gebner shooting himself with a serpa holster but tex says he was using a 5-11 thumb drive holster
this video has some bad language so if you are sensitive don't watch it but after all he did shoot himself in the leg there must be a reason most gun training sites bar the rig or make people jam the locking mech open
Tex was using the 5-11 thumb drive with the first weapon he was using all day, if I remember correctly it was a .45. The switch in equipment was what caused him to shoot himself in the leg because he tried to draw from the Serpa the same way he did from the 5-11, (completely different retention platforms) when it didn't work to release the gun after a couple tries he curled his finger into the release on the serpa and drew, sticking his finger into the trigger as he drew and BANG, into the leg. Most training sites have seen the error of their ways and have retracted the restrictions as it has been debunked over and over that there is no equipment problem but a user training issue.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
It is unnatural to me to use the booger finger lol, I been useing it for a little while,I always keep my finger straight and flat away from the trigger unless Im ready to fire. but I'd try the other holster.. so far I really Love the serpa..
if you think about it it's not really unnatural. When you draw your weapon from whatever holster you have your finger should lay on the slide just above the trigger housing. The Serpa places the release in the exact place where your finger should natural rest when the weapon is drawn and where it would be oon any holster when drawing the weapon. The flat finger is what applies pressure to the release not the finger tip so this enhances the natural draw and finger placement in one swoop.

·
Registered
21,518 Posts
yea, in the video he never mentioned he changed holsters, he just held it up. I see where I got crossed up

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Saw a guy do that without a serpa! I owned a Serpa and hated it, just couldn't get use to it when drawing.
this video has some bad language so if you are sensitive don't watch it but after all he did shoot himself in the leg

[video=youtube;zYvAxLX6OzE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYvAxLX6OzE[/video]

there must be a reason most gun training sites bar the rig or make people jam the locking mech open

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
And at least he gently put the Kimber down, they are expensive!

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
Tex was using the 5-11 thumb drive with the first weapon he was using all day, if I remember correctly it was a .45. The switch in equipment was what caused him to shoot himself in the leg because he tried to draw from the Serpa the same way he did from the 5-11, (completely different retention platforms) when it didn't work to release the gun after a couple tries he curled his finger into the release on the serpa and drew, sticking his finger into the trigger as he drew and BANG, into the leg. Most training sites have seen the error of their ways and have retracted the restrictions as it has been debunked over and over that there is no equipment problem but a user training issue.
Yeh, this thing has made the circuit a few times over, and set off a lot of debate...bottom line...the dude shot himself...and "ouch"...that had to hurt.. :( It only takes one safety error to cause something like this...He had his...Glad he was ok, tho...It could have been lots worse
Heard a drill sergeant tell someone once "ya gotta be smarter than the equiptment you're working with"...:p

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
For me a holster will always be something I slide a gun into. Never something I need a manual to operate. That's a power tool.
I have to agree!

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
I have to agree!
Ditto, Ditto...^^
Also, "keep your finger off of the trigger unless you intend to shoot"...isn't something someone should have to tell you...Basic Firearms 101...But because of incidents like this...hey, I guess they have to...

·
Registered
21,518 Posts
It’s a fact that when you get scared blood rushes from your outer extremities to the core of the body. The loss of muscle and blood make activating a lock on a holster, a task that has to be thought of.
Training will help but even the best training is subject to failing under extreme conditions

FLETC, the Federal Law Enforcement Training Center, is a facility in Georgia where over 90 federal agencies send their new recruits to be trained as law enforcement officers. That includes firearms handling, and is sometimes a recruit’s first time on the range. Needless to say the equipment and skills used and learned at this facility carry some weight with the new recruits, which is why the news that FLETC is now banning the use of Blackhawk SERPA holsters at their facility is so newsworthy.

SERPA Holsters Banned from FLETC | The Truth About Guns

·
Registered
960 Posts
Personally I don't care for that "style" of holster. Being rigid, that is. I got so used to carrying IWB with the Redhead line of holsters that Bass Pro Shop carries, I just wouldn't feel comfortable with anything else. It seems very safe to me. Trigger housing never exposed while holstered. Easy to remove by just unsnapping the retention strap that goes over the top and simply slide the gun out. Of course everyone has a different level of comfort and I believe that the problem came in because he was used to drawing from one style of holster, then changed up his routine with a different holster. I can certainly see where that could be an issue.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
if you think about it it's not really unnatural. When you draw your weapon from whatever holster you have your finger should lay on the slide just above the trigger housing. The Serpa places the release in the exact place where your finger should natural rest when the weapon is drawn and where it would be oon any holster when drawing the weapon. The flat finger is what applies pressure to the release not the finger tip so this enhances the natural draw and finger placement in one swoop.
Thats what I meant to say, In other words the serpa for me seems very natural on how I pull the firearm out and also point the weapon. The finger never goes on the trigger or curls unless Im about to shoot the target. I like the holster a lot and wouldn't mind trying a few other ones also..

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
Thats what I meant to say, In other words the serpa for me seems very natural on how I pull the firearm out and also point the weapon. The finger never goes on the trigger or curls unless Im about to shoot the target. I like the holster a lot and wouldn't mind trying a few other ones also..
There you go...Just know your equiptment...Practice..."safe" draw, not "fast" draw...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts