Glock Forum banner

Are blackhawk holsters that dangerous?

19K views 28 replies 8 participants last post by  ArmyCobra1 
#1 ·
I bought a Blackhawk holster serpa I believe its a level 2, CQC. Anyway I keep hearing how bad they are and I hear people talk about a thumb break. Im just wondering why its so bad, and THis does not have a thumb release, it has a release by the trigger.. You all knw what im talking about, But I cant see it being harmful (knock on wood) unless you were to curl your finger around the trigger as you put the gun in the holster.. I tried to see if the trigger would pull as I pulled the gun from the holster and its very if not impossible to pull the trigger, Your finger is straight. even when I did curl it upon takin it out I couldnt get it to click, so Im wondering if this is a different blackhawk then the ones I keep hearing about.. I mean if this is truley dangerous, I will switch back to my leather holster. Any response would be appreciated, though Im sure people are tired of holster talk. If so just delete it, I apoligize in advance

#2 · (Edited)
blame the shooter and not the gear...well heck we can throw safety out the window with that thinking. in a pinch I don't wanna think about anything but the threat

[video=youtube;GDpxVG9XFJc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDpxVG9XFJc[/video]

#5 · (Edited)
I own a Serpa for all my various pistols and highly recommend them. We've covered this on other posts here on the particular holster and you can review the comments on those posts as well. It all comes down to knowing and training with you gear. If you watch or read about all the complaints about the holster it all comes down to the users booger hook. If you use the holster properly your booger hook will never be on the trigger, it will always be in the position that it is supposed to be when you first draw from your holster. This is a holster you will need to train with. Remember it's a security retention holster not a leather holster with a snap or open face.

PS if you watch Tex's explanation for the AD, he blames himself and not the holster for shooting himself in the leg. He was using a different holster all day and then switched to a Serpa with a different gun and forgot what holster he was using.

#6 · (Edited)
Well here is the problem I have with this video. He talks about tex gebner shooting himself with a serpa holster but tex says he was using a 5-11 thumb drive holster
this video has some bad language so if you are sensitive don't watch it but after all he did shoot himself in the leg

[video=youtube;zYvAxLX6OzE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYvAxLX6OzE[/video]

there must be a reason most gun training sites bar the rig or make people jam the locking mech open

#8 · (Edited)
Well here is the problem I have with this video. He talks about tex gebner shooting himself with a serpa holster but tex says he was using a 5-11 thumb drive holster
this video has some bad language so if you are sensitive don't watch it but after all he did shoot himself in the leg there must be a reason most gun training sites bar the rig or make people jam the locking mech open
Tex was using the 5-11 thumb drive with the first weapon he was using all day, if I remember correctly it was a .45. The switch in equipment was what caused him to shoot himself in the leg because he tried to draw from the Serpa the same way he did from the 5-11, (completely different retention platforms) when it didn't work to release the gun after a couple tries he curled his finger into the release on the serpa and drew, sticking his finger into the trigger as he drew and BANG, into the leg. Most training sites have seen the error of their ways and have retracted the restrictions as it has been debunked over and over that there is no equipment problem but a user training issue.

#17 · (Edited)
It’s a fact that when you get scared blood rushes from your outer extremities to the core of the body. The loss of muscle and blood make activating a lock on a holster, a task that has to be thought of.
Training will help but even the best training is subject to failing under extreme conditions

FLETC, the Federal Law Enforcement Training Center, is a facility in Georgia where over 90 federal agencies send their new recruits to be trained as law enforcement officers. That includes firearms handling, and is sometimes a recruit’s first time on the range. Needless to say the equipment and skills used and learned at this facility carry some weight with the new recruits, which is why the news that FLETC is now banning the use of Blackhawk SERPA holsters at their facility is so newsworthy.

SERPA Holsters Banned from FLETC | The Truth About Guns

#18 ·
Personally I don't care for that "style" of holster. Being rigid, that is. I got so used to carrying IWB with the Redhead line of holsters that Bass Pro Shop carries, I just wouldn't feel comfortable with anything else. It seems very safe to me. Trigger housing never exposed while holstered. Easy to remove by just unsnapping the retention strap that goes over the top and simply slide the gun out. Of course everyone has a different level of comfort and I believe that the problem came in because he was used to drawing from one style of holster, then changed up his routine with a different holster. I can certainly see where that could be an issue.

#21 · (Edited)
to me what is worse: chancing someone grabbing you gun or you shooting yourself. they are a popular holster but there are too many holsters out there with good retention and since I don't open carry I have no need for one. the race for the shooters holster dollar will contiue.

I will say this from just looking at it; that is a big paddle to stick in your pants. I looked at a lot of different paddle holsters and that one seems to be the biggest

#23 ·
to me what is worse: chancing someone grabbing you gun or you shooting yourself. they are a popular holster but there are too many holsters out there with good retention and since I don't open carry I have no need for one. the race for the shooters holster dollar will contiue.

I will say this from just looking at it; that is a big paddle to stick in your pants. I looked at a lot of different paddle holsters and that one seems to be the biggest[/QUOTE

Yeah I wanna check out different holsters, I do have one for IWB I use alot, as far as that big paddle, I dont use it, I just put the belt through to slots and its pretty comfortable especially since I carry the G27. I do want to get a shotgun and a smaller gun such as a .32 or 380. Or an AR lol, cant afford them all right now. gotta pick one..

#22 ·
They used to say carrying a Colt .45 cocked and locked was dangerous too. The US Army even though it was dangerous to keep one in the pipe. MPs were banned from carrying it either way while on patrol. If caught you could be court martialed. What's the opinion on how to carry it now days? It's the recommended way to carry a .45. Why? because they learned that if you train the proper way then it becomes second nature. I'm not trying to push the holster on anyone but I just get a laugh out of people who say something is dangerous and try to ban it just because they aren't familiar with it or an idiot has hurt themselves with it. I for one train with and am proficient is the use of the product and am confident in any situation to be able to use it safely Over the years I have had to use some awful leather retention holster on while on uniformed patrol. I had to learn how they worked even though I didn't like them and I became proficient and very effective with them. It's all about attitude. :cool:

#24 ·
I just got a fobus holster for my G26 and did some mod to it (there is a thread on it) and for a cheap holster that I can just slip in my pants for range/trips to the store I have to say it is a good holster. Durable and very comfortable so much so I just ordered one for my G23. Even though the 23 will fit in the 26 holster there is a bit of a length difference but for 15.00+ free shipping I couldn't say no

#25 ·
Funny you should mention the fobus because that is what I was gonna buy first at the gun shop, I had a hard time getting the gun out of the holster, I pulled a chest muscle lol and i lift weights. I think It was either a bad holster or more likely Me not pulling straight up but I'll tell ya it is a cheap holster, 15 20 bucks. So thats when I looked at the blackhawk and I liked the release, it was easier than the hard pull.. Im sure a little practice with the fobus i would be fine , but that s o b wasnt coming out man,lol..

#27 ·
I just picked up a Blackhawk Sportster Size 6 for my 36. I like it because of the built in magazine carrier. I have tried it with and without the retention strap and like it better without. The gun fits like a glove and with the gun and extra magazine, still feels very comfortable to conceal. :)

#28 ·
Does that holster go IWB or between the belt and the pants? I saw it on E Bay and it sayd IWB or OWB but I couldnt tell how the slot was made.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.