Glock Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

So with all the stories I have read about a new AWB as well as a "high-capacity" magazine ban being discussed by Congress, I have started to contemplate about purchases I should make in the near-future in anticipation of such a ban. As far as I know all pre-ban magazines having over 10 rd capacity would be grandfathered but I wanted to get opinions from older and experienced members of the forum on what kind of prices and availability of pre-ban mags I could expect to see being sold. Seeing as I am only in my early-twenties, I have no real knowledge of the availability or price of >10rd mags following the 1994 ban so I thought I should ask here first. I enjoy the 9mm and especially love my Glock 17 Gen 4 so knowing that if a ban did occur and there were over-priced magazines available at least it would make it easier to swallow.

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
That question is hard if not impossible to answer as we have no way of knowing how many preban (if there is one) mags are out there in stock. Also, inflation has changed since the Clinton fiasco.
My suggestion is to buy a few stock 17 round mags now, and as you will see prices have already risen. A good guess would be that prices will double or triple from current prices if a 10 round limit is enacted. Good hunting.

·
Registered
21,518 Posts
if we only had a crystal ball life would be so easy

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
I'll play through a couple of observations I saw in the first pre ban, and after. Chime in if this jars your memory and especially if you saw something different.

For 1994, preban mags were still available to some Law Enforcement and Military police typically (unless a department or group had restrictions on their teams). Mostly they had to present or send in ID to make a purchase. In short - they were still around and didn't disappear because there was still some demand (like texcowboy said, how much is a question - but that should give you an idea there would be a steady market). LEOs here in TX don't have to do paperwork for hi-cap stuff. They can buy it without asking (in the same category for illegal knives). Just full auto weapons, and it's a matter of just doing the paperwork (with your Sgt and Feds).

When the ban lifted, I saw a pretty good influx of hi-cap mags at the gun shows and online. It was like they never went away. I won't presume that's a fair or representative sample for other regions, but usually there is some ramp up period anytime something changes. I do have a bit of trouble thinking it was old stock, so my intuition tells me it was from LEO/military supplies that were probably steady at that point.

I went to the gun show 3 weeks ago and saw plenty still. They were pricey, but usually if vendors are out of things, I won't see much stock on Sunday (the day I went). I didn't see much actually except ammo, missing out of the usual things.

So that said...the added issue this time, is states, counties and cities are taking action and some are trying to bring in laws that would be more strict than Feds. So you will need to consider where you live. Currently Missouri is considering not grandfathering anything, going along with Feds, and making it a felony to own semi autos (I'm summarizing only - it's a bit more detailed). I've read the legislation and it's a Class C Felony to own it anywhere in the state, unless you are military/police/government exempted.

My thoughts is we will see the same things after the ban - prices will go up, but you can still get the mags. You'd just wont' go into your gun show to buy them. And people won't ship them to you probably because they won't want to get into trouble. There will probably be stuff overseas too since they are showing signs of shifting to the opposite opinion (that will take time but a possible influence on availability and future supplies depending on the length of a ban).

I haven't seen a latest version of the proposed legislation, but I wonder if there will be an expiration date as was written in the first ban legislation?

·
Registered
33 Posts
"When the ban lifted, I saw a pretty good influx of hi-cap mags at the gun shows and online. It was like they never went away. I won't presume that's a fair or representative sample for other regions, but usually there is some ramp up period anytime something changes. I do have a bit of trouble thinking it was old stock, so my intuition tells me it was from LEO/military supplies that were probably steady at that point."

The only problem with that therory is that high capacity mags that were being made during the AWB, was they were marked military LEO use only. So I doubt the ones we saw right after the ban was lifterd were for LEO unless they could grab them off the line before stamping. They probably new the ban was ending and tooled up and started making new ones without the LEO marks? Just my .02

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
The only problem with that theory is that high capacity mags that were being made during the AWB, was they were marked military LEO use only. So I doubt the ones we saw right after the ban was lifted were for LEO unless they could grab them off the line before stamping. They probably new the ban was ending and tooled up and started making new ones without the LEO marks? Just my .02
I just remember seeing them in the cases at the gun shows. Can't say what markings were or weren't there. My husband is an LEO and getting them wasn't ever a problem pre, mid or post.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I just remember seeing them in the cases at the gun shows. Can't say what markings were or weren't there. My husband is an LEO and getting them wasn't ever a problem pre, mid or post.
I wasn't trying to be an ass or attack your statement, just my observation.
Yea, Cheaper than dirt had used G21 LEO marked 13 rd mags for like $9.99. A few months earlier I asked a guy about the pre ban one he had at a show, he wanted $100.

Danny

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'll play through a couple of observations I saw in the first pre ban, and after. Chime in if this jars your memory and especially if you saw something different.

For 1994, preban mags were still available to some Law Enforcement and Military police typically (unless a department or group had restrictions on their teams). Mostly they had to present or send in ID to make a purchase. In short - they were still around and didn't disappear because there was still some demand (like texcowboy said, how much is a question - but that should give you an idea there would be a steady market). LEOs here in TX don't have to do paperwork for hi-cap stuff. They can buy it without asking (in the same category for illegal knives). Just full auto weapons, and it's a matter of just doing the paperwork (with your Sgt and Feds).

When the ban lifted, I saw a pretty good influx of hi-cap mags at the gun shows and online. It was like they never went away. I won't presume that's a fair or representative sample for other regions, but usually there is some ramp up period anytime something changes. I do have a bit of trouble thinking it was old stock, so my intuition tells me it was from LEO/military supplies that were probably steady at that point.

I went to the gun show 3 weeks ago and saw plenty still. They were pricey, but usually if vendors are out of things, I won't see much stock on Sunday (the day I went). I didn't see much actually except ammo, missing out of the usual things.

So that said...the added issue this time, is states, counties and cities are taking action and some are trying to bring in laws that would be more strict than Feds. So you will need to consider where you live. Currently Missouri is considering not grandfathering anything, going along with Feds, and making it a felony to own semi autos (I'm summarizing only - it's a bit more detailed). I've read the legislation and it's a Class C Felony to own it anywhere in the state, unless you are military/police/government exempted.

My thoughts is we will see the same things after the ban - prices will go up, but you can still get the mags. You'd just wont' go into your gun show to buy them. And people won't ship them to you probably because they won't want to get into trouble. There will probably be stuff overseas too since they are showing signs of shifting to the opposite opinion (that will take time but a possible influence on availability and future supplies depending on the length of a ban).

I haven't seen a latest version of the proposed legislation, but I wonder if there will be an expiration date as was written in the first ban legislation?
Thanks for the detailed observation NName. Some people around the forums have been saying that this legislation is supposedly much more restrictive than the 1994 ban and probably will have no expiration date attached to it. I hope that is not true.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
I wasn't trying to be an ass or attack your statement, just my observation.
Yea, Cheaper than dirt had used G21 LEO marked 13 rd mags for like $9.99. A few months earlier I asked a guy about the pre ban one he had at a show, he wanted $100.

Danny
I didn't take you to be an a$$ at all. We're just both stating observations. If I came across that way, it wasn't my intention.
I didn't think what I saw to be the end all be all. We could have 5 people with 5 observations, given so many possibilities. It just goes that way.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Thanks for the detailed observation NName. Some people around the forums have been saying that this legislation is supposedly much more restrictive than the 1994 ban and probably will have no expiration date attached to it. I hope that is not true.
I do think the current Administration is attempting to pay attention to the loop holes from the 1994 ban. It's anyone's guess what will be in the final inked/signed version.

But it's one time I'm thankful so much is going on in this country. Between the budget fiscal cliff, sequester warnings, and this week's issue of the week, there are so many distractions, I hope if they do pen anything, they will not have time to fill in the gaps. I've already reminded my congressman (TX Rep-Poe) to not forget to exempt the usual LEOs, military et al (let's not repeat NY's mistake).

Does it seem of late they have lost some ground and the gun control "frenzy" is waning a bit, or do you think the media just can't find anything else to say this week?

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
I have bought a few mags for guns I don't even own yet, just in case.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts