Glock Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
21,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
we talk about KaBooms but most don"t understand why; this guy give a great look at ONE reason

[video=youtube;u5oa3D4SDzs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5oa3D4SDzs&feature=g-all-u[/video]

Reactions: ArmyCobra1

·
Registered
21,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What I like about this guy he shows why it happens. A lot of people say they shoot reloads with no problems and this clarifies why someone would have a problem

·
Registered
21,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
In the comment section he said he wasn't going to use the barrel anymore and I asked why. He said that it stretched the barrel out but I find this hard to believe. That chamber can handle a lot more than that. I think he is snake bit and just don't trust it right now

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
In the comment section he said he wasn't going to use the barrel anymore and I asked why. He said that it stretched the barrel out but I find this hard to believe. That chamber can handle a lot more than that. I think he is snake bit and just don't trust it right now
In the original I believe I saw that the lower was completely blown out so yeah he probably is a little scared to try the barrel again.

·
Registered
960 Posts
This video no doubt helped me understand how the round gets into the rifling! Very nice!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello gents, Trevor here ... I'm certainly glad I stopped using that barrel!

I have a youtube friend who ask me to send him the barrel. He works for a metal testing house doing things like airplane parts for failure point analysis and such.

Here is where I get the gun back from Glock (who didn't test or measure the barrel before sending it back to me which is obvious in the video below)
Range Report: New Pet Load (.40 S&W) - Part II - YouTube

Here I discuss why I have decided to ditch the barrel.
Range Report: New Pet Load (.40 S&W) - Part III - Glock KaBoom Update - YouTube

Here saltyshellback does his metal penetration testing ... in a later video, he slugged the barrel ... it was definitely stretched! I hate to disappoint, but I was not snake bit. It felt weird to me and I had a hunch something was wrong so I inspected the brass and determined the barrel was stretched and unsafe for reuse. This was determined with a load that is .2 grains BELOW minimum.
[video=youtube;3n6Mbr_qUww]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3n6Mbr_qUww[/video]

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
Welcome...and thanks for the follow-up report... it just goes to show that we may not always know everything we think we know...Good thing you followed your instinct on that barrel..glad all ended well..

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
In the original I believe I saw that the lower was completely blown out so yeah he probably is a little scared to try the barrel again.
Was this that same incident that ZK is referring to...where the lower blew out...?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Was this that same incident that ZK is referring to...where the lower blew out...?
That is correct, Glock replaced the entire lower for $120. Extent of damage is seen in the original KaBoom! video linked below. Based on the tests of the barrel in the video above, it's blatantly obvious that Glock didn't check the barrel or their tolerances for the chamber was extremely loose (already known to fall OUTSIDE SAAMI specs).

Glock G27 KaBoom! - YouTube

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
That is correct, Glock replaced the entire lower for $120. Extent of damage is seen in the original KaBoom! video linked below. Based on the tests of the barrel in the video above, it's blatantly obvious that Glock didn't check the barrel or their tolerances for the chamber was extremely loose (already known to fall OUTSIDE SAAMI specs).

Glock G27 KaBoom! - YouTube
wow...Thanks for the info...!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I know Trevor mentioned pushing down on the bullet to test for over crimping, but it seems that the issue is the diameter of the casing at the case mouth. Case mouth diameter also seems more quantifiable and replicable that the downward push test.

With that being said, how could I know the case mouth optimal diameter for a Glock 17?

Speers #14 identifies the case mouth diameter for a 9mm Lugar at .380 [9.65mm]. My bell is at .382 and the crimp brings it back to .380. I am new to reloading and working up my first loads now.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I know Trevor mentioned pushing down on the bullet to test for over crimping, but it seems that the issue is the diameter of the casing at the case mouth. Case mouth diameter also seems more quantifiable and replicable that the downward push test.

With that being said, how could I know the case mouth optimal diameter for a Glock 17?

Speers #14 identifies the case mouth diameter for a 9mm Lugar at .380 [9.65mm]. My bell is at .382 and the crimp brings it back to .380. I am new to reloading and working up my first loads now.
I'm afraid you may have misunderstood the reason for the bench press test of your rounds ... it's to ensure you have proper neck tension. If your bullets begin to show signs of setback, you need to slightly increase your crimp (taper crimp, not roll crimp for straight walled semi-auto rounds). My problem arose from a massive over-crimping (demonstrating each die station to my son and forgot to reset the dies before reloading). As for finding the exact dimensions of your chamber, your best bet is to slug the chamber and then measure the slug. Honestly, it's overkill ... a simple chamber check on some dummy rounds will suffice. Load up a few rounds with your bullets of choice, measure their overall length, chamber them without "riding the slide" and then measure the overall length again after ejecting. If the round chambers well and doesn't setback, you should be good to go. Inspect the bullet and case mouth for signs of interference.

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
Glad you followed your instincts and decided not to use the barrel. When in doubt........

·
Registered
21,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I for one enjoy your videos greatly and appreciate you taking the time to post them

·
Registered
6 Posts
Load up a few rounds with your bullets of choice, measure their overall length, chamber them without "riding the slide" and then measure the overall length again after ejecting. If the round chambers well and doesn't setback, you should be good to go. Inspect the bullet and case mouth for signs of interference.
Thanks, this seems like a consistent test that can be helpful.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts