Glock Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't want to spend the upfront money for reloading , trying to figure a way of keeping cost down and getting some trigger time with my babies at the range ... Why is 45 ammo getting so expensive?

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
i usually wait for dicks sporting goods to have a deal but even then its expensive. 21.99 normal and 19.99 on sale. if you think 45 is bad 327 mag, 357 mag 28.00 and 10mm approaching 30.00 per 50 box. remington.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Can't say what's driving up the price of factory ammo...maybe the law of supply and demand? I just did some quick checking. A case of 1000 rnds of .45 hardball runs around $350, depending on the maker it will vary. At current prices for reloading, I could reload 1000 rounds of my old IPSC load for around $175...after buying the press, dies, etc.. That's at prices of almost $30 for a pound of powder, over $100 for 1000 cast bullets, $27/1000 primers. Compare that to what I used to pay when I was reloading regularly, and even reloading seems like a hideous price, yet it's still half the cost of new. Freedommunitions.com sells .45 FJM reloads for $289, although I don't have any experience with them.

·
Registered
21,518 Posts
I have to agree with the supply and demand issue, I bought a box of 380's here a while back and though they had over charged me so I call the store to verify the price and they were 2.50 more than the .40 Cal for the same box of 100 and same mfg. because of the high demand for 380's its driving the prices up.

Just a reminder that Nov 5th is buy bulk ammo day. Even if it’s a box of 100 rounds show your support and lets send a message to the government that we have the right and it’s not there’s to take away

·
Registered
960 Posts
Picked up a box of Winchester 230 grain yesterday at Wallyworld. $39.97 for a box of 100. I didn't think that was too bad. Getting ready to go shoot them all in a few minutes. :)

·
Banned
966 Posts
hmmmm ... high demand, eh?

Hey everybody, .40-cal guns are the worst. They blow. You couldn't give me one. If you have a .40-cal of any type, take it to your nearest incinerator and melt it down now. For your leftover ammo, my garage has been designated as the 40-cal Ammo Collection Depot for the Greater Southeast.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
I have to agree with the supply and demand issue, I bought a box of 380's here a while back and though they had over charged me so I call the store to verify the price and they were 2.50 more than the .40 Cal for the same box of 100 and same mfg. because of the high demand for 380's its driving the prices up.

Just a reminder that Nov 5th is buy bulk ammo day. Even if it’s a box of 100 rounds show your support and lets send a message to the government that we have the right and it’s not there’s to take away
And Nov 6th is National Buy a Gun Day. So plan ahead. Do you bulk buy for the calibre you will be buying the next day.

·
Premium Member
567 Posts
Id's say take the plunge into reloading. If you don't want to spend a lot of money upfront you don't have to - get a LEE Turret press. Quite affordable and will pay for itself in a few range trips.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
What if I order a gun on the 6th, does that count? Also, Wally World around here has Federal Champion 100 rd 45ACP for $29 and change.

·
Registered
960 Posts
What if I order a gun on the 6th, does that count? Also, Wally World around here has Federal Champion 100 rd 45ACP for $29 and change.
That's a great price! Too bad my Wally World were out of those the day I went!

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
may go look tomorrow, if Mon is buy bulk ammo day, they may be out by the time I get out of work. That is if they have any now.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Reloading is the cheap way out in the long term. And once you have the equipment "buying ammo in bulk" becomes the norm, you just have some final assembly to do.

This next may not help, depending on what is going on where you live, but here in Florida there are some reloading businesses. I've never seen these reloads for sale in regular gun shops (they'd rather sell new no doubt) but you find the reloads for sale at some ranges, usually with the understanding you will return the brass. If such businesses exist near you, they might well be willing to sell direct.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts