Glock Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I just picked up my new 26-G3 today. After getting a holster, glasses and a ear protection. I now begin the search for proper ammo. I have shot rifles, shotguns, and handguns in the past. This is my first mine and only mine gun. I have read and watched every article and video on the best ammunition for my sweet new pistol. So what is the best? I want a balance between practice and defense ammo. I have read it's not always such a good idea to use different Ammo when practicing (shooting range) from that which you use for home protection because you become good, confident and used to handling your gun with one type of ammo and rarely or hopefully never have to use home defense ammo. So what should I buy? Speer, fed American eagle, or hornady? Does FMJ really produce cleaner rounds, I want to pass my 26 down to my son, so it's gotta last. Any advise or suggestions are welcome. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Buy whatever you can find and whatever is cheap to shoot on the range. Ill shoot any factory brass fmj I can find and am yet to find one my Glocks don't like. Defense ammo ( hollow points ) are a little more complicated but just stick with something quality that has a good reputation. Its a good idea to practice a little bit with the ammo you carry to ensure function but there is no reason to go out to the range everytime and blow through $200 in hollow points. I prefer Federal HST and Speer

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
My G26 loved everything!

I ended up carrying Speer Gold Dot 124gr +p short barrel & practicing with Speer Lawman 124gr. Very similar ballistics and never any problems.

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
I grew up with a .357 magnum...so I like my rounds hotter! CorBon's 115 grain JHP at 1,350 fps & 466 foot lbs of energy was one of my favorite rounds. I did manage to pick up some Federal 115 grain +P+ JHP's...and I really liked those (compared to .357 mag)...but were hard to find! I made several purchases of these Seirra 115 grain JHP's from Littlestone's Ammo...and, out of everything I ever purchased, I have to say that these were absolutely fantastic! 9mm Luger +P, 115-Grain Sierra JHP, Box of 50

The Glock 9mm pistols will eat just about anything you can feed them...and they will do a nice job of consuming them as well!

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Welcome to the forum. It's good to hear the thoughts of others as it relates to firearms. It's a big part of why I'm here. After that, it's down to you and your 26. Ultimately your weapon will tell you what it likes. So far my 26 gen 4 says it's not fussy, but really likes 124 grain Speer Gold Dots. Let us know your experience. Good luck.

Reactions: Aztroboy

·
Registered
66 Posts
Hello,
I just picked up my new 26-G3 today. After getting a holster, glasses and a ear protection. I now begin the search for proper ammo. I have shot rifles, shotguns, and handguns in the past. This is my first mine and only mine gun. I have read and watched every article and video on the best ammunition for my sweet new pistol. So what is the best? I want a balance between practice and defense ammo. I have read it's not always such a good idea to use different Ammo when practicing (shooting range) from that which you use for home protection because you become good, confident and used to handling your gun with one type of ammo and rarely or hopefully never have to use home defense ammo. So what should I buy? Speer, fed American eagle, or hornady? Does FMJ really produce cleaner rounds, I want to pass my 26 down to my son, so it's gotta last. Any advise or suggestions are welcome. Thanks in advance.
Of all the stuff in my quiver, the G26 - gen3 is the one with the most holster wear. Stellar performance in either 115 gr. or 124 gr. HP by any premium ammo manufacturer, yet still does quite well with the dirty stuff at any bullet weight or type. As for FMJ being "cleaner," that depends upon the manufacturer more than bullet type. Glocks love dirty. They were created with a view towards acquiring the lucrative military and police contracts around the world, so no need to baby them or be overly concerned about ammo. See: Glock 21 Torture Test - Theprepared.com

"Dirty" can be a very good thing: I had occasion some years back to defend against a broad daylight home invasion. Unfortunately for the perp, I had just returned from a range session with the gun on my hip, and it was still warm. High intimidation value: nothing says "all business" like holster wear and a dusting of spent power.

As for passing it on to your son, fuggetabboudit. With any luck, he'll have a plasma rife by then, and the Glock with will an antique curio. ;)

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
I hope I'm around long enough to have a plasma rifle.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
For general purpose home defense & range.. the best value I've found is the Remington Green & White 100 count jacket hollow points [JHP's] at Walmart for about $43. For target shooting...stick to Federal 100 ct bulk packs of solid jacketed rounds if you can find them..as they are pretty popular. Or, the Winchester 100 count bulk pack.. they are sometimes a dollar or two more.

For self defense / every day carry... I use Hornady Critical Defense in my G19 & 23.. and Critical Duty in my shorter barreled G27.

But Gold Dot, Federal Hydra-Shok, Remington Golden Saber, Buffalo Bore and several others will all function well in your little pistol.

Reactions: Big1 and Aztroboy

·
Registered
208 Posts
My G26 Gen 3 shoots any round between 115 grain to 147 grain with no issues. I would shoot the cheapest stuff you can find as mine has no issue with that then have some super reliable ammo for home defense. I am not into hollow points or super hot ammo I am more into accuracy and controlled placement but whatever criteria that makes you comfortable. I like using Freedom Munitions for cheap, reliable, quality ammo...

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
I like my 124gr flat point reloads best. For practice, anything that's cheap and brass. For defense, I like HST the best (and so does my 19), but I carry gold dots, and XTP as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Is it reloads that void warranty or lead bullets?
Reloads void the warranty and lead is a no go in a Glock barrel. Some people do it but you have to be careful and it's not recommended. The Glock website doesn't specifically say lead voids the warranty but something tells me it would if they knew you were using non jacketed lead rounds.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
You can shoot hard cast lead in relatively limited amounts. I like a 200 grain hardcast in my 10mm for woods protection.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I'd look into the Gold Dot short barrel ammo. It's optimized for the shorter barreled weapons like the G26.

Or maybe it's all snake oil. I doubt it though.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
That "short barrel" stuff tends to actually have a lower velocity than regular out of shorter barrels. What you do get is a smaller velocity gain when you shoot it out of a longer barrel.

Most modern defensive loads have flash suppressed powder, so the flash is rarely an issue unless you're shooting 357 sig, mag, or 10mm.

·
Registered
104 Posts
My 3rd gen G26 has been flawless thru over 2k rounds. Zero issues. Fed and fired every last round. And it eats anything. I say buy what you like and shoot away. The pistol will not be your problem.

I would avoid unjackated lead bullets though. That's one type of ammo I'm unwilling to try.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts