Glock Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the first 200+ rounds through my brand new Glock 19 3 Gen., I have had at least 20-30 in my face/general head area, if not more, though no FTF's or FTE's. The brass looks okay with no dents or anything abnormal, but is there anything I can do to get this problem to resolve with out having to personally spend money... i.e. something Glock would cover. I have read something about switching to the non-dipped extractor that Glock is trying to phase in, but I honestly have no idea how to tell which one I have, assuming they have already started phasing them in.

BTW the serial# begins with TKG if that helps...

any help would be appreciated :).

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
I havent heard anything about a 'non-dipped extractor' but maybe one of the other Forum members can fill us in on that, you have my curiosity up.
Have you tried more than one brand, differant grain ammo? Do you have a good firm grip everytime so the weapon has a stable platform upon which to recoil?

I just recently bought a new G19 GEN 3 test fired at the factory April 2012 with the serial prefix SYK. I ran a box of Winchester white box 115's thru it and some older defensive type ammo and had no problem with brass hitting me or FTFs or FTEs. In fact I ran one mag thru as fast as the weapon would fire and again no problem.

Give it a try again with differant ammo and a firm grip, and keep us posted. I am sure you will get other suggestions as there are a lot of well informed Glock shooters on this Forum.

·
Banned
966 Posts
Were all 200 shots with the same ammo? I'd try a different brand is that's the case. Not that there aren't plenty of G19's that fire whatever ammo perfectly fine, but guns seem to have a mind of their own sometimes.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I have seen a youtube video on the "dipped" extractor. It seemed to make a little bit of difference. It is worth a try to order one and see if it stops the brass-face problem.

·
Registered
95 Posts
My g26 was spitting brass out at 4-5 o'clock regularly for the first 400 rounds or so, after I got the round count up and detail striped cleaned and lubed the components in the slide the issue all but disappeared. Just wear your saftey glasses, shoot the heck out of it and tame that beast! Good luck.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Well, I wasn't the only one shooting it, because I was wondering if it was my grip, but it did it for them as well... That and they told me I was shooting fine. And I had 200 rounds of Winchester white box, and 10 rounds of hornady zombie max, what I'm carrying right now, and I had one to the forehead and one graze my hair or ear from the supossed zombie killers.

I would be putting more rounds through it today, but I'm broke :(... So it will have to wait till Saturday.

Thanks for the responses... I look forward to seeing what y'all have to say.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Glock will tell you that you have a breakin period of about 500 rounds before everything seats properly. Dont know if i buy it. My new glocks shoot just fine but my older ones shoot much better. Just think of them like fine wine. :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm going to try another brand of ammo tomorrow at the range... Considering I've tried to cheapest option, WWB, and I'm more broke than I was then, haha... What should I try now? Any suggestions?? Anything I can do to try and narrow down the problem is Honestly worth the money.

-reed

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I think you're on the right track with the hotter ammo. I'd suggest ordering some Speer Lawman 124gr FMJ or Winchester NATO rounds online. You can pick them up from places like sgammo.com for around the same price as the WWB.

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
I think you're on the right track with the hotter ammo. I'd suggest ordering some Speer Lawman 124gr FMJ or Winchester NATO rounds online. You can pick them up from places like sgammo.com for around the same price as the WWB.
What he said...^^^
By the way, Franklin Guns is one awesome gunshop... I stopped in while driving thru a couple of times...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Could I not find those rounds at the local gun shop... Which happens to be massive.

And rowabi, yes it is pretty frickin sweet... Sadly, the only thing they don't have is a range... But Uselton's 1 min down the street has a very nice range.

Sadly, I don't think I can make it out today,thanks to papa johns, and they are closed Sunday and Monday, so it's gonna have to wait till Tuesday :(.

-reed

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
I did not know the Gen 3's had a brass to the face problem, none of mine do. Learn something new everyday I guess.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Welllll, let's not jump the gun, so to speak... Hopefully it doesn't... I'm stilll hoping that I'm doing something wrong, considering I'm a new shooter with a brand new gun... But luckily I can go to the range tomorrow, and hopefully I can figure it out tomorrow. I'll let y'all know what happens... Wish me luck.

-reed

·
Registered
58 Posts
Man, I have the same issue with my Gen 3 G17.... no idea why, but probably 1 out of every 15 or so rounds pops me in the face...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, glock guy, I was sick today so I couldn't help you out by goin to the range today, but I will be goin in the next couple days... Have you tried different ammo, especially somethin other than cheap target ammo... Or even having someone else shoot it to see the ejection pattern, or if it could happen to be your grip... Not saying you don't know how to shoot... But you never know.

I've pretty much gone through those options, so I'd like to hear if you've gone through any others.

-reed

·
Registered
58 Posts
Yeah, Ive shot all kinds of ammo, normally shoot federal over WWB because Federal is fantastic ammo.... but Im 98% sure it has nothing to do with my grip though... I have trained with a member of the SWAT team in my area and Im rock solid on most of my mechanics lol

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well I've now gone through over 500+ rounds, and it seems to be shooting fine now... I think it could have partly been due to it being new/ammo/not being lubed enough. Whatever it is, I'm only getting 1-2 in the face per 100, and every box I shoot, it seems to get more reliable. Still no FTE's or FTF's.

-reed

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
Well I've now gone through over 500+ rounds, and it seems to be shooting fine now... I think it could have partly been due to it being new/ammo/not being lubed enough. Whatever it is, I'm only getting 1-2 in the face per 100, and every box I shoot, it seems to get more reliable. Still no FTE's or FTF's.

-reed
No FTE's or FTF's...more important than a RTF (Round to the face, lol) every once in a while... :p

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yeahhh... For sure... Though I don't know how well I'd shoot a bad guy if I missed my first shot and the casing hit my right eye... :).

1 - 20 of 24 Posts