Glock Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Building a full size glock from the ground up

Looks like we are going to build our glock from the ground up. We will only be using this for range shooting and pin competition shoots. So not looking for small or a carry piece.

Going to start with the lone wolf timber wolf lower. Was going to let lone wolf assemble and do the trigger in the lower. Has anyone had a chance to play with their trigger? What are your thoughts on it. I had almost sold myself on the fulcrum trigger from glockworx but not sure. I know that they can make it work in the timber wolf frame as only the rear piece needs to be changed out for the smaller assembly from the sub compact. I want a nice crisp trigger with out a lot of travel. I'm a revolver and rifle guy and having issues getting used to the stock glock trigger.

I can order a complete upper assembly from lone wolf but not quiet sure that's how I want to go. I will be doing a lone wolf slide with the burris fast fire optics melted into the slide In their combat style mount so we can retain the iron sites also. Was going to do a threaded barrel so we can run a compensator on it. Would I be better off just doing a ported barrel? I know at lone wolf they say the ported barrels make the front sight dirty within 4 to 5 shoots and needs to be wiped off. With optics not sure it will be an issue. Firing pins and springs etc will all have to be tuned to work with whatever trigger I decide to go with.

I would appreciate any feed back comments suggestions and things that you have found to work and things to stay away from.

Thanks
Tom

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
That sounds like quite a project you have going. The only thing I can offer is that I have the 3.5 # trigger in most my Glocks and it makes a big differance. The only one in my arsenal that is lacking is my new G19 GEN 3 and I will take care of that at the next Fort Worth Gun Show.

Keep us posted !

·
Registered
241 Posts
No experience with aftermarket frames myself. I'll say that I always liked the stock Glock trigger but wanted a more positive reset for speed shooting. I'd use a 3.5 pound connector with a the 8 pound New York trigger spring. The end result was a pull weight within a half pound of stock but with a quicker and more positive reset. I'd recommend finding yourself a Glock Armorers manual. One still available (old though) online...
Glocks Armorer's Manual: 17, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 17L

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
Thanks for that link jbGlock.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes thank you for the link. I have one on the way from lone wolf as we speak. Can never have too much knowledge of how glocks work!!!!!

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
That does sound like a cool project. I would probably look into a laser engraved ported slide with matching extended threaded barrel if I went all custom. Have fun.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes cut slide is the plan along with threaded barrel for compensator. Not sure on the engraving. I do like the flame job they do though. Need a good saying to put on the end of the compensator.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Lower has been ordered. Will ship out on monday as my ffl needs to fax in their paperwork. Lone Wolf Distributors - Product Detail - Assembled 9mm Timberwolf frame - $335.24

Any uspsa shooters? If the gun has optics its only legal in the open class and there are no restrictions on length then? A compensator also puts you in open class correct?

Dad is trying to say build it short but since I'm doing optics I say it doesn't matter. Right now we only shoot our local range shoots and have fun.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I talked to glockworx on the trigger and unless I was using a stock glock lower they didn't want to help. So going to play with the lone wolf trigger and see what we can do.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
2012-08-24_18-34-15_996.jpg

Well the base is here. Ordered the complete top end the other day. Couldn't do the threaded barrel or comp as the barrel is on back order till 11/17/12 and I wasn't waiting that long. Might get it for christmas. Still gonna be 3 to 4 weeks wait for the machine work to be done.:(

Put the 17l slide on it tonight and played with the trigger and it will take some work. I need to mate it up with my top end first to see how things are.

·
Registered
126 Posts
With the ported barrel be careful to protect your optic from the blowback. You dont want a high dollar optic getting nailed with unburnt powder. I like the frame. Just out of curiosity, why the different frame? What advantages does it have over the Glock fame other than the grip?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
http://www.lonewolfdist.com/ItemMedia/10000/10000_45624.jpg

this is the type of mount I'm going with and for the 9mm I'm just going to do the compensator on the threaded non ported barrel.Lone Wolf Distributors - Product Detail - LWD Compensator 9mm 1/2 x 28 - $59.95

I hope not to have issues with powder vs optics in this configuration. Doing the combat mount and using the tritium night sights. Lone wolf claims with just the comp no issues with sight darkening.

As to the frame I didn't have a base to start with so I just ordered theirs. My thought was why by a 34 then replace every part on it when I could just start out with the frame. I do like the grip on this frame and to match it I would have to go gen 4 or grip mod on glock frame. Most parts for tuning seem to like the gen 3's.

·
Registered
126 Posts
http://www.lonewolfdist.com/ItemMedia/10000/10000_45624.jpg

this is the type of mount I'm going with and for the 9mm I'm just going to do the compensator on the threaded non ported barrel.Lone Wolf Distributors - Product Detail - LWD Compensator 9mm 1/2 x 28 - $59.95

I hope not to have issues with powder vs optics in this configuration. Doing the combat mount and using the tritium night sights. Lone wolf claims with just the comp no issues with sight darkening.

As to the frame I didn't have a base to start with so I just ordered theirs. My thought was why by a 34 then replace every part on it when I could just start out with the frame. I do like the grip on this frame and to match it I would have to go gen 4 or grip mod on glock frame. Most parts for tuning seem to like the gen 3's.

I have a 34 and frickin love it. I do wish it had a ported barrel though. I have trudot sights on it. It is my bedside and 3gun gun

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok things changed on 9/19. order was still sitting on backorder at lonewolf. The night sites and firing pin were still holding us up. Now going with a 35 slide with a 40 to 9 conversion. Now I can get the threaded barrel on the compensator like I originally wanted and can also do a 357 sig or 40 sw with just a barrel change. I changed the order to what was in stock and the only thing I couldn't get was the lightened firing pin. Put it on back order and the rest went out to the machine shop to have the work done on it. 4 to 6 week turnaround. :(

Item Number Item Name Qty Cost Ext Cost
Shipped Items
LWD-70M Lone Wolf Firing Pin Spring Cups Marine
LWD-63-4 Lone Wolf Firing Pin Spring 4 lb
LWD-1148 Lone Wolf Channel Liner All Models
LWD-56 Lone Wolf Spacer Sleeve
LWD-119 Lone Wolf Extractor Depressor Plunger Spring
LWD-112 Lone Wolf Extractor Depressor Plunger 9/40/357/45GAP
LWD-84 Lone Wolf Firing Pin Safety 9/40/357/10
LWD-91 Lone Wolf Firing Pin Safety Spring
LWD-SCP6 LWD Slide Cover Plate Silver
LWD S/S Guide Rod Assembly for
G17,17L,22,24,31,34,35,37
LWD-GRA1722
LWD-CMS1 Lone Wolf Custom machined slide, pattern #1
LWD-LABOR25 $25 Labor Charge
LWD- Lone Wolf "Slide Melt" COMBAT position
SLIDEMELTCOMBAT
BUR-FFIIIPIC Burris Fast Fire III 8MOA w/ Pic Mount
LWD-SLIDE35S LWD Slide G35 Solid top 40 S&W
LWD-359TH LWD Barrel M/35 Conversion to 9mm Threaded 1/2 x 28
LWD-TP1/2X28 LWD Thread Protector 1/2 x 28 (9mm & .357SIG))
LWD-1899 Lone Wolf Extractor LCI .40S&W / .357SIG
LWD-3439 Spring Load Bearing LCI 40 S&W, 357 Sig & 45 GAP
GLO-1896 Glock Trigger Housing 40/357
LWD-APHATTEAM LWD Team Lone Wolf hat, black
GLO-4270 Glock Firing Pin 40/357/45 GAP
AME-GL404 AmeriGlo rear suppressor sight. Plain
AME-GST315 AmeriGlo front suppressor sight. Serrated
LWD-COMP409 LWD Compensator 409 Conversion 1/2 x 28

backordered
LWD-49 Lone Wolf Firing Pin (9/40/357)

We had a tragedy in our family last tuesday. My father passed away very unexpectedly. He was in good health fit and active. He was 62 and going to turn 63 nov 4. He was retired and for the past 2 yrs has worked at the local gun range. He has taken my son under his wings and had him working with pop at the range all summer long at least 2 days a week. He was a NRA instructor and a past hunters safety instructor and he just loved to share his knowledge and passion with anyone wanting to learn. I called Lone wolf today to check on the order and wanted to add some custom laser engraving. I told Bob what had happened and that I wanted to put in memory of pop on the slide cover plate so that he will be with us every time we pull the gun up. Going to surprise my son with it when it comes in. Bob stepped up and is donating the engraving to us. Thank You Lone Wolf.

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
Sure sorry to hear about your Dad, great to hear your built from the ground up Glock will be a Tribute gun to him.

·
Registered
960 Posts
very sorry to hear about your loss. Great idea about the engraving. Sounds like you are putting together quite the nice machine there! :)

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
So sorry for your loss, a dad is definitely something that can't be replaced. That was a nice thing that Lone Wolf did. Speaks well for their customer service

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
Sorry to hear about your loss...the tribute sounds awesome..May it be all you would have it to be, and even in the loss, I hope it brings you and your son a lot of fond memories ...:)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts