Glock Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ran across this definition of "bullet grain". I used to be very confused on exactly what grain means. I'm thinking if I was not the only one that was or is confused this seems to be quite informative. :).................

It is important to remember that the word "grains" refers to weight when it is used to describe modern firearm ammunition. It is an extremely small unit of measurement, with 437.5 grains equaling one ounce. (Or 7,000 grains equals one pound, if you prefer.) This small unit of measurement is used because firearms are precision instruments, and the ammo they use must also be made to extremely close tolerances.

The markings on the boxes of ammo referred to the weight of the bullet alone. For each popular caliber, the ammo manufacturers offer a variety of different bullet weights, bullet shapes, and even what material the bullet is made of. This can be rather confusing at times.

Another source of confusion is the fact that different manufacturers might offer cartridges that use the same type of bullet, but each company usually likes to load different amounts of powder. This means that rounds with different brand names might have the same bullet info on the box, but you will find that they shoot different when you try them out.

Speaking in the broadest possible way, lighter bullets tend to be more accurate at short and medium range because they move faster coming out of the gun and have a flatter trajectory so it is easier to aim precisely. They tend to lose their speed relatively quickly, so they will also hit downrange targets with less force than heavier bullets.

Those heavier bullets are trickier to get precise shots at medium range, but air resistence will effect them less than their lighter brethren. They will retain more speed over longer distances, and so will hit distant targets with greater force.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
your pretty much right on target with the info. i have a phobia about knowing the weight of all my guns loaded and not, kind of checking manufacturers specs to see how close they are. i took my 26 and 27 which weigh exactly the same from the factory and loaded them each with the same amout of rounds and i was totally surprised when the 26 came in if i remeber right about a good three ounces less because of the bullet weights. federal has a pretty good chart on line that shows the progession or regession of the fps.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Hickok45 goes into some detail on this here:

[video=youtube;DKocvSrp5XU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKocvSrp5XU[/video]

1 - 3 of 3 Posts