Glock Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is probably the dumbest question ever but since I am not experienced I have to ask. Can I use the same American Eagle .40 S&W Ammo I use for target practice for self defense as well?

What will the main difference be?

Thank you all ahead of time.

· Registered
1,019 Posts
I think you mean everyone gets at least two.

Target ammo can be used for defensive purposes. US troops in combat use what I would call target ammo against the enemy. However NATO doctrine is to wound not kill. If you kill you take that one soldier out of the fight. If you injure you remove at least one other soldier who provides aid to the injured. I don't necessarily agree but it's not my doctrine.

Secondly the Geneva convention disallows hollow points in battle because they are engineered to be devastating.

There are threads that discuss ammo for self defense. Do a search.

· Registered
21,525 Posts
Yes but standard range ammo will lose its jacket upon impact and lose bullet weight. If you are trying to make it through an arm or hand into the main cavity to hit a Vidal organ you want a bonded bullet or a core locked one

· Registered
1,019 Posts
I think too much emphasis is placed on bonded or core locked bullets. Says the guy who carries bonded hollow points. Bonded bullets were made to defeat hard barriers while retaining their jacket for maximum bullet weight retention and bullet integrity when hitting the target after the barrier. While bone is a hard barrier the real intent was windshield glass and plate metals. Both of which is more of a concern for LE as opposed to civilian self defense.

My concern with anyone using target/FMJ ammo for self defense is the perforation and over penetration capacity without enough internal trauma in the target to stop whatever action precipitated the use of deadly force.

· Registered
3,865 Posts
So let me throw one more question in there about ammo type. Where do flat points come into play? You don't see them very often and I've always wondered what their application is?
"Flat Points", I assume you are speaking of semi-wadcutters and wadcutters are good target ammo as they make a nice neat hole in paper which may put you touching the 10 ring even though you are in the 9 ring. I dont want to be shot with any configuration of bullet as they all can kill, some are more deadly than others because of their composition.
To answer the OP's question, you can use range ammo for self defense but if other SD ammo is available then use it for sure. The most important thing is shot placement. A hit to the arm with the highest priced bullet will not be as effective as a hit to the chest region with a range bullet. And as someone posted above, do at least a double tap and if there is time keep shooting until the threat is stopped.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
As long as you can hit what you're aiming for, use it. Even the lightest loaded 40 S&W will do the job if placed in the chest region.
And remember, everyone gets 2.
I can't stop laughing. That was too funny, but yes, you are 100% right. I think 2 will be more than enough to stop someone. By the way, the reason I ask about target Ammo being able to be used for self defense is because hollow points are hard to find right now. It seems that all that is available at the moment, if lucky enough, is standard target practice ammo. I sincerely hope this stupid shortage crap ends soon so things get back to normal again.

· Registered
60 Posts
I seem to remember reading something by Mas Ayoob about hollow points versus hard ball and how they are interpreted in court. Because HP is designed to stay in the assailant, it doesn't represent the liability of hardball which can over penetrate. You are responsible for the round once it leaves the barrel and the prosecution will try to make you out as ignorant or neglectful for carrying ammo that could injure an innocent bystander. Just a thought.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I seem to remember reading something by Mas Ayoob about hollow points versus hard ball and how they are interpreted in court. Because HP is designed to stay in the assailant, it doesn't represent the liability of hardball which can over penetrate. You are responsible for the round once it leaves the barrel and the prosecution will try to make you out as ignorant or neglectful for carrying ammo that could injure an innocent bystander. Just a thought.
Understood, yes, but I personally will not be carrying a loaded gun with standard target shooting ammo. It will have HP ammo in it. It was just a question as I was curious. My Glock will be 80% target shooting and 20% defense. I leave in an extremely peaceful area so I don't really have much to worry about...for now. If I do travel outside my area then I will definately take it with me.

· Registered
964 Posts
The problem with FMJ is that it can go through the assailant and hit an innocent bystander or ricochet off a wall more than JHP. That's why the police stopped calling them dum dum bullets and started using them.

· Registered
1,019 Posts
I think you can find good self defense ammo easier than target ammo. I shoot competitively and I'm having a hard time finding enough ammo to practice with.

Also I wouldn't be too sure about the "I think 2 will be more than enough to stop someone." stuff. It's not like in the movies. They may stop, they may not. You never know. My advice is to avoid a potential shooting situation if you can. If you can't avoid it, shoot until the threat is neutralized, whether that takes 2 shots or 12.

· Registered
1,345 Posts
You could use FMJ ammo if you had to use it. As mentioned, one strong advantage to using hollow points it that the risk of over penetration should be minimized compared to FMJ, not that the risk couldn't be there with JHP ammo also though. The other thing is that the design of a hollow point is to expand upon or shortly after impact which is said to deposit more energy into whatever you're shooting at compared to FMJ.

· Registered
1,814 Posts
It would work better than throwing rocks....

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well 2 more days and I get my toy. Went to get ear and eye protection plus a bag and cleaning kit and a holster. Now all I have to do is go out and practice at the range quite a bit before going for my conceal license. I want to be ready.

· Registered
139 Posts
...... My Glock will be 80% target shooting and 20% defense. I leave in an extremely peaceful area so I don't really have much to worry about...for now. If I do travel outside my area then I will definately take it with me.
Wow either you never go to the range, or are definitely lying about living in a peaceful area if you use your Glock 20% for defense :) . I would assume mine will be used 99.9999999% for range, the rest of the time might be for defense.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Wow either you never go to the range, or are definitely lying about living in a peaceful area if you use your Glock 20% for defense :) . I would assume mine will be used 99.9999999% for range, the rest of the time might be for defense.
Sorry if my percentages are confusing. I will tell you in plain english then:

I bought the gun to practice and learn, not to hurt anybody. I will be carrying it with me when I go out to places with questionable reputations or places unknown to me outside of where I live (like another county in the state) but that's it. This ain't the wild west so there is no need to carry a gun everywhere I go and yes, where I live is quite peaceful and quite. This is not Miami, New York, Chicago or Orange County here.

· Registered
139 Posts
I was just bustin your chops. It must be nice to be able to actually take your gun out to see the light of day. Here in the People's Republic of New Jersey about the only way for a normal citizen to get a carry permit is to know a judge OR know someone sleeping with a judge.

· Registered
3,865 Posts
Sorry if my percentages are confusing. I will tell you in plain english then:

I bought the gun to practice and learn, not to hurt anybody. I will be carrying it with me when I go out to places with questionable reputations or places unknown to me outside of where I live (like another county in the state) but that's it. This ain't the wild west so there is no need to carry a gun everywhere I go and yes, where I live is quite peaceful and quite. This is not Miami, New York, Chicago or Orange County here.
You must reside in Utopia, I wish I knew when and where trouble would strike, then I wouldnt go there and would not have to carry all of the time. I live in a relatively peaceful suburb but bad guys at least travel thru here if they dont live here. " I would rather have it and not need it then to need it and not have it." That is a well worn saying, but very true.

Reactions: Brudlbdings
1 - 20 of 34 Posts