Glock Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any of you guys have any experiences with car/truck holsters? I'm thinking I'd really like to have a holster in my truck somewhere - perhaps in my console between the bucket seats. Of course, I'd only do that once I have my CCW license (hopefully next month). I've seen one or two, and I've thought about getting a left-handed no-clasp hip holster and just bolting inside my console... I think it'd be cheaper than the ones I've seen specifically made for this purpose. I drive a Chevy Silverado 2500 HD, so I've got plenty of room for this exercise, but I've never tried to do this. Anyone have any tips?

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
Your idea sound good, so many places a handgun can be concealed in a vehicle. Of course just be sure everything complies with your local laws. What State are you in?

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
I dont know about Kentucky, but here in Texas whether you have a CCW or not the weapon in the vehicle must be concealed, in Louisiana the law is the same.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, that's the plan. And as for the prevailing laws... I hope to find that out in the CCW class.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Weird that it has to be concealed in some states. Wonder what the reasoning is.

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
The key here, is that the weapon is actually "secured"...sudden stops, impacts turn everything in the vehicle into flying projectiles...

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
if your creative start with this and mount it somewhere (13.00 EBay)

GLOCK

View attachment 514
Yup - that's right where I'm starting - bought one last night. It's hard to pass up a $13 holster...

EDIT

Well, nuts. Here's what I just found:

Automobile carry:
Firearms (rifles, shotguns and handguns) may be carried loaded and in plain view; loaded handguns may be carried in the glove compartment (center console box carry is not allowed).

That under-the-steering-column holster is looking better all the time. Hmmm...

·
Registered
21,518 Posts
Yup - that's right where I'm starting - bought one last night. It's hard to pass up a $13 holster...
The reviews of the holster is very good, not one person on you tube gave it a bad mark. They praise the retention and one guy claims he used his for a whole year without any cracking or splitting. This guy made a IWB holster out of his

[video=youtube;KSxxa0SA_7g]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSxxa0SA_7g[/video]

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Ah - looks like Kentucky has been amending the laws to relax things if you have a CCW permit. Looks like you can pretty much carry it anywhere you want based on some reading I've done.

·
Registered
21,518 Posts

EDIT

Well, nuts. Here's what I just found:

Automobile carry:
Firearms (rifles, shotguns and handguns) may be carried loaded and in plain view; loaded handguns may be carried in the glove compartment (center console box carry is not allowed).

That under-the-steering-column holster is looking better all the time. Hmmm...
Here is the problem I have with a gun in the car/truck and not on the person. If you get jacked or separated from you vehicle the gun is out of reach. I carry on me all the time and what I found works is tuck my shirt behind the holster when I sit down so if need be unbuckling the seatbelt and grabbing the gun is all one move

1 - 15 of 15 Posts