Glock Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I understand ammunition can be store for years and even decades if stored properly. My question is, what about ammo that's constantly exposed to the elements. For instance, the ammo that you use in your carry weapon that's constanly stored in a magazine you carry with you everywhere..... Ive have hornaday taps in my g27 thats been in there for over two years. Can I depend on the integrity of this ammo??? The copper plating has even changed color on the bullet. Is it still reliable? If not how often should you change your ammo in your carry weapon?

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
as a rule ammo that is not subjected to moisture generally is fine. however i do fire mine off and replace it every once in a while. ( less than two years ) that and cleaning and/or inspecting the gun for lint etc monthly is very cheap preventive maintenance. i also carry a g27.

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
as a rule ammo that is not subjected to moisture generally is fine. however i do fire mine off and replace it every once in a while. ( less than two years ) that and cleaning and/or inspecting the gun for lint etc monthly is very cheap preventive maintenance. i also carry a g27.
What he said

·
Registered
21,518 Posts
there is no real defined time line to changing out ammo but if you are active with your gun (running, jumping and loading & reloading) then you might want to shoot up the old stuff every 6-12 months. Gun powder will break down (rub to dust) faster then it will get old

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
This +2

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok good advice guys......I'd hate to shoot up ammo that's almost a dollar a round being that I have the H. Taps in three of my hand guns. I guess for reliability I will start replacing them annually

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
I usually rotate out my carry ammo every year. It should be good for longer but You need to expend carry ammo anyway so you remember how it reacts so it's just a habit to change out new every year. I keep 500-1000 rounds of carry ammo on hand any way so the change out is easy.

·
Registered
85 Posts
It seems to me that you should swap out magazine and clean the gun along with changing the ammo. This is especially true for a dedicated deep CC weapon. For summertime carry, I have a Taurus TCP .380 that I keep in a wallet holster or in a front pocket holster that gets contaminated with lint, dust, and sometimes fine sand.

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
It seems to me that you should swap out magazine and clean the gun along with changing the ammo. This is especially true for a dedicated deep CC weapon. For summertime carry, I have a Taurus TCP .380 that I keep in a wallet holster or in a front pocket holster that gets contaminated with lint, dust, and sometimes fine sand.
+1 on that...It might seem overdone to some, but we have to remember that the pistol is a tool...and we're responsible for the maintenance of that tool...Unless of course you have some pistol cleaning fairy that visits on a regular basis... :rolleyes:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts