Glock Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
QUESTION, If i carry in public and a person see's an outline of my gun or i bend over to pick something up and someone see's the grip of my gun and they feel threatened and call the police.What will happen? Is that considered illegal? My word against theirs? Thanks, im just trying to be aware of different situations!

·
Registered
960 Posts
QUESTION, If i carry in public and a person see's an outline of my gun or i bend over to pick something up and someone see's the grip of my gun and they feel threatened and call the police.What will happen? Is that considered illegal? My word against theirs? Thanks, im just trying to be aware of different situations!
As long as you are legal and have your CCW permit with you, you will be fine. If the police were to confront you, don't make any quick movements, tell them you are carrying a loaded concealed weapon and ask them if it is ok to reach for your wallet to show them your permit. Most likely, the officer will ask you for your firearm first, which, at his own choice, he may want to retrieve himself. No worries if he wants to do that. Then allow him to check you for the proper documents that you need to carry. I have always advised people that carry concealed, if they are driving, get pulled over for speeding, etc. Hand the officer your license, registration and CCW permit all at the same time. Not a good time for the officer to be surprised, so as long as you are legal, he would rather know that from the start. All LEO's handle things a little different, so be prepared to comply with his/her requests and you should be just fine. :)

·
Registered
960 Posts
Also, I'm sure you are aware of the places where you can or cannot carry a concealed weapon. Just wanted to make sure! That is very important!!

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
It all depends on the what NY laws says about printing. Some states don't like it but others it dosn't matter as long as you have a permit. There maybe someone here fron NY that could address it more directly. This site Handgunlaw.us may have some info for you as well.

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
Here in Texas, technically CCW handguns should not print. An Officer can stop and question you but probably would not in most instances as long as you are not in a place where CCW is not forbidden. I dont know the CCW laws in New York, hopefully someone from there can advise you.

Where printing could cause a problem is in the instance that Glock23 describes about a person calling in and is alarmed about a concealed handgun printing or accidently being exposed. ArmyCobra1 gave good advice in that instance.

·
Registered
21,518 Posts
In most if not all states it’s .... MWAG (man with a gun) call. It counts to your state and how they deal with the call. I wouldn't say anything to no one until you are approached and asked. Then with hands in a good position do what you are told. Failure to conceal is the most likely the charge but hard to prove unless you are just walking down the road with you peace hanging out and then it will look like this

[video=youtube;-qKeJ6jd2Ak]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qKeJ6jd2Ak[/video]

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What is printing? Is that when the outline of your gun is showing?

·
Registered
21,518 Posts
What is printing? Is that when the outline of your gun is showing?
Yes, any time you can make out the outline of a gun it is called printing. In the case of the video above that man had a failure to conceal (you can clearly see his gun). In the case of printing you can be charged with failure to conceal too but it's a little harder to prove that you did it with intent

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
With all of the cell phones, PDA's, etc worn under jackets and untucked shirts it is difficult to tell if it is handgun or not. But it is the individual Police Officers call. I work as a volunteer with my local Police Dept and Officers, in general, in this day and age are not against CCW, in fact on a traffic stop they assume there is a weapon in the vehicle. Just advise the Officer when he approaches the vehicle with your hands visable and then show your drivers license and CCW permit. In fact even if you are not carry8ing it is best to advise that you have a CCW but are not carrying as the CCW info will surface when he runs the drivers license check.

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
What they said...^...Know the law in your state in regards to this. Some states have tough brandishing laws...I've seen so many young/new CC'ers that like to flash their weapon..."Duh, uh, look at me I've got a gun..., but I'm hiding it" Concealed means just that...concealed........Hey, things happen, but just make sure you dress adequately to hide that weapon...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts