Glock Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Had my Glock Armorer add an extended slide stop lever to my Glock not long ago. I've had it done to all my Glocks, as has my husband. We use the same Glocksmith for years...but took the G36 out shooting and the slide would not cycle back - remaining open after shooting every 2-4 rounds.

I'll save you the trouble of diagnosis...we found the problem and I'm sharing it just in case anyone else runs into it. It will be in particular to the G36s, slim .45 ACP model. The cycle problem began after we put a few dozen rounds through it, when my husband was shooting.

I looked at my husband and reminded him that the Glocksmith had to "fit" the slide lock he installed because they don't make them for the G36.

1) *The cross hand method to close the slide would not result in returning the slide - it could be moved at usual to pull back, but would "stop" as if hung (*after removing the live round).

2) To be sure it wasn't a weak wrist, my husband and I each shot (he's a veteran LEO, and has been properly shooting since he was little, and owned Glocks for 15 years straight). We each shot from varied positions (eg standing, crouched, etc) and we left the target static at about 20 feet. No change in behavior.

3) We traded OEM magazines even though they are all factory, we wanted to rule out a bad one if it existed. All mags were fully loaded to cap (6) with an empty chamber when inserted. No change.

4) We use different ammo (FMJ, JHP, SCHP, 165gr 185gr, 230gr - all factory by Remington, Winchester or Magtech). No change.

Since all G36 extended slide stop levers must be modified, and I distinctly recall ours saying the window of tolerance was very minimal (too short or too long and there are problems either way), I will remove and reinstall the original slide stop level until I can get it to the Glocksmith on Monday.

Just thought I'd share this experience...again showing that Glocks require precision when it comes to 3rd party parts. I have no worries about the integrity however of the Glock itself - this was clearly due to a known issue with the extended slide stop for the G36. Even ones you buy online will all say they are altered to fit.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
For my G36 I had some stimpling, grip reduction, trigger guard under cut, sights, and a vickers tac slide release, done by Paul Peek of Polymer Grip Profiling. He did amazing work! I'm so happy with it I'm thinking of sending my 23c, to have the trigger guard under cut. Very professional, and a real nice guy.

Polymer Grip Profiling

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
For my G36 I had some stimpling, grip reduction, trigger guard under cut, sights, and a vickers tac slide release, done by Paul Peek of Polymer Grip Profiling. He did amazing work! I'm so happy with it I'm thinking of sending my 23c, to have the trigger guard under cut. Very professional, and a real nice guy.

Polymer Grip Profiling
I know it's not the thread subject, :) but I just found the method for enhancing the Glock lettering. Don't have to get crazy like either. Just a Stabilo pencil (grease pencil), some good buffing towels and some elbow time.

STABILO Mini STABILO.COM

·
Registered
14 Posts
I sure hate that I did not read this after I purchased my 36. Every 2 to 3 shots the slide would lock back with the OEM slide stop lever, due to it going up on its own-engaging the slide. It took me 3 days and many rounds or different .45 ammo to realize the nose of the bullet was hitting the edge of the slide stop lever knocking it up. I had to cut about 1/2 of the lip that rest on the follower. Now like NName591 said, I can trim any ext. slide stop or release to fit.

·
Registered
880 Posts
It sounds like your gunsmith didn't know what he was doing. The slide stop lever on the 36 is supposed to be a drop in part just like any other slide stop lever. That's a major thing I like about Glocks is that they need no "fitting" to work properly.

Reactions: TCTex

·
Registered
880 Posts
OP, I had to go back and re-read your post and there is one item that is incorrect and I don't know who gave you that information but they were wrong. They do make them and are available over the net.

I looked at my husband and reminded him that the Glocksmith had to "fit" the slide lock he installed because they don't make them for the G36.

Slide Stop Lever for Model G36-www.glockmeister.com

http://www.lonewolfdist.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=418&CAT=125

Here is an extended slide stop lever from Aro-Tek

http://www.arotek.com/default.aspx?page=ProductView&Part=62

·
Registered
14 Posts
Fyrtwuck, long before I red your reply I called Morris, at Arotek,and we talked at length, he helped me figure out the problem. I ordered his Sure Touch Extended slide release. It worked in my 36 fine but, after the last shot, when the slide locked back, the release, in my gun, stood up too far. He uses the same release for the mod. 36, as the other Glocks; only bends the part down over the follower, in order to fit the narrow ledge on the lip of the follower. I cut that bent down part off level with Dremel Tool, causing the slide stop not to go as high. Just preference. I do realize all Glock parts are supposed to be drop in. Their stock slide stop lever was the one that was not properly shaped to fit.

·
Registered
880 Posts
I didn't know that Aro-Tek modified their levers.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts