Glock Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
21,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Catastrophic Glock Failures, Why you should always carry a backup gun, and the new Generation 4 Glock pistols

People don’t believe me. The most common retort is “But my xxxxx has NEVER malfunctioned”. I just nod and smile but inside I’m thinking: “That’s because you don’t shoot or carry your gun the way I do.” If you shoot 50 rounds a year, your gun likely will never break. If you really run it hard, I promise you that it will.

keep in mind that this guy shot some 40,000 rounds through this gun before this happened

Catastrophic Glock Failures, Why you should always carry a backup gun, and the new Generation 4 Glock pistols | Active Response Training

·
Registered
188 Posts
I shoot pretty regular ,that being said ,if I believed that my Glock's would have a catastrophic events down the road I wouldn't have brought them and I certainly would not carry a BUG because of fear one of my Glock ' would have a catastrophic failure...
Sorry to disagree , just my two cents...:rolleyes:

P.S. I wish folks would stops saying that one Generation of Glock's are more reliable than the other ...

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
I shoot pretty regular ,that being said ,if I believed that my Glock's would have a catastrophic events down the road I wouldn't have brought them and I certainly would not carry a BUG because of fear one of my Glock ' would have a catastrophic failure...
Sorry to disagree , just my two cents...:rolleyes:

P.S. I wish folks would stops saying that one Generation of Glock's are more reliable than the other ...
I agree 100%

·
Registered
960 Posts
I agree 100%
Yep, gotta go with you on that. If I even considered a failure on a Glock, I wouldn't have one at all! And Alex, I also agree that comparing the generations of Glocks and saying "one is better than the other" is completely a waste of time. I know people that own very old Glocks and wouldn't give them up for any reason. That's why I have a Gen 3 and Gen 4. Love em' both and all other Glocks I have ever fired! My best friend (LEO) has several and when we go to range, we fire them all. He just bought a very nice Bushmaster AR. We were all set at the range, I had 3 pistols, he had 4 pistols, an .22 LR long gun and the AR. Too bad we had 500 rounds of 5.56 but he forgot ALL of the magazines! LOL!!

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
And so if you think you're Glock may have a catastrophic failure, do you carry another Glock, that also might have a catastrophic as well...And to that end I say, "let them carry Glocks, where the catastrophic failure will land on the bad guy"... :p

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
I agree with the writer to a point. If you are depending on a mechanical device for the preservation of your life you had BETTER HAVE a backup or at the least a backup plan. That being said he is running more rounds through his hand guns than probably the average 20 shooters would run through theirs in a lifetime. Do not forget, anything mechanical WILL fail it's just a matter of when. No matter how much you clean it, pamper it and stroke it, if it's being used for the purpose it was intended it will fail.

·
Registered
21,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If he shot 40,000 rounds through the gun and only had on failure I would say that is a good thing. That is a lot of punishment on a gun of any kind

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
While I carry a back-up, it's not in fear of a catastrophic failure of my Glock, Springfield, Kimber, or any others... I carry a back up as well as my spare mag for my primary EDC, because "things can happen." This could be a mag failure, bad round, whatever...If I'm gonna be like chicken little, "oh my the sky is falling"...out of fear of Glock, or any other weapon...I'm not carrying that weapon...We train with what we carry, test the ammo we carry, hope for the best, yet realize bad things can happen...duh...that's why we're carrying..and for most of us, that's why we carry a Glock...Glock gives us guidelines (no reloads, etc)...I don't know about you, but I believe that if I do my part, my carry weapon will do it's part. If I lack confidence in a gun, I'm not carrying it...

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
I agree with the writer to a point. If you are depending on a mechanical device for the preservation of your life you had BETTER HAVE a backup or at the least a backup plan. That being said he is running more rounds through his hand guns than probably the average 20 shooters would run through theirs in a lifetime. Do not forget, anything mechanical WILL fail it's just a matter of when. No matter how much you clean it, pamper it and stroke it, if it's being used for the purpose it was intended it will fail.
Three laws come into play here...the law of physics, the law of averages, and Murphy's law...some things are just "gonna happen"...Know your gun, take care of your gun...and a back-up should always be part of the plan... :)

·
Registered
960 Posts
If you go to Google and type in "gun catastrophic failure", you will get pictures of anything from wheel guns to AR's. Point being, has nothing to do with the brand of the weapon, like rowabi said, if "Murphy's Law" has anything to do with it, absolutely anything can happen to ANY firearm!

·
Registered
960 Posts
There's a picture of a Colt Anaconda that looks like it got blown up by an IED!!

Here's the picture!
2j2dego.jpg

·
Registered
21,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I will bet it was a hand load

·
Premium Member
567 Posts
All guns will eventually fail, you just cant expect (any) mechanical tool to function forever with extended use - it's just not realistic.

I also do think that more powerful calibers will wear out a gun faster.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Two quick points :

I think without putting words in anyone mouth , he was trying to say any gun could have a catastrophic event not just Glock's ... That being said , these few occurrences when they do occur compared to the numbers of Glock's in service don't even bring it up on my radar screen as a real likelihood...

The facts are that most of these so called catastrophic failures are across the board not just with Glock's occur to mostly re-loader's and poor loadings , and to folk who really abuse the weapon or do something stupid to the gun , for example it's one thing to shoot thousands of rounds in a handgun over a long period of time and its another to but thousands and thousands of rounds without cleaning the gun none-stop or even letting the barrel cool down then when something does go wrong saying this is junk...

The fact that Glock had the guts to try and improve a already great product say's a lot to me ... I say bravo to Glock for pushing the envelope on a product that would be ahead of the crowd had they done noting...

Reactions: texcowboy

·
Premium Member
567 Posts
I'm glad that Glock came out with gen4, I like the changes they made. I bet they did it because they felt they had to; M&P and other guns with interchangeable backstraps must've been cutting in their sales.

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
I'm glad that Glock came out with gen4, I like the changes they made. I bet they did it because they felt they had to; M&P and other guns with interchangeable backstraps must've been cutting in their sales.
I can see why they did it, but never thought they'd get into that. I still don't know of another manufacturer a half million pistols behind in order production, and with the Gen4 option, some folks that didn't like the grip before have a chance to re-think it...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts