Glock Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, Saturday my wife and I attended the KY CCDW class and we both passed. We're just waiting for the paperwork now... which is a convoluted mess as far as I can tell. $60 and some patience and we'll soon have our CCDW licenses. We're both thinking about what we're going to carry with; I have a couple holsters, but she doesn't have anything yet. I'm planning to use my GlockTech MIC holster. Still trying to figure out what she'll use.

My wife is very concerned about how she can qualify for a CCDW license with no more training than she has received. I keep trying to tell her that an honest and non-violent person without a gun is the same with a gun... which she definitely understands. I can't help but believe that every single responsible adult should be required to carry... but I know there are plenty of adults who - because of our current idiotic society - are simply too immature to do so, and will likely never be sufficiently responsible to qualify... or shouldn't.

Anyway... hopefully in the next few weeks we should be fully licensed and ready to go. I can't wait... can't believe I waited this long.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
If you haven't done so already, I urge both you and your wife to attend a good school and take their class on defensive pistol/fighting pistol or whatever they may call it. You'll learn things that just popping caps on a range will never teach you that will stand you in good stead should you ever have "shuck that smokepole and get to work". I can heartily recommend classes taught by Massad Ayoob or John Farnam. There are lots of others.

If you've already done this, then as the Aussies say, "Good on ya, Mate" ;)

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Congrats. I agree with jdw174 - look around for a good course that goes a bit deeper.

And remind her it's your right to bear arms :)

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
Congrats on being legal to carry and I agree with getting more training.

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
Congrats, for sure...And I agree with the posts above...!

·
Registered
21,518 Posts
The easy part is getting the LIC, the hard part is carrying responsible. The laws of self-defense change from state to state so it hard to give advice on what to do on a board like this. You best bet is study the laws in your state and not just one time but over and over until they become second nature. Pulling the trigger is the easy but the aftermath of legal mumbo-jumbo could cost you everything you own not to mention time off the job and/or the job itself.

As far as your woman goes, a woman's gun class works wonders for them. When they can interact with other woman they learn that their problems are not just theirs. Men tend to be a little domineering when it comes to range time and can be intimidating to a spouse when something goes wrong.

A good place for her to start is the "corner cat". She comes very highly recommended for woman and not bad reading for men either

Cornered Cat | If you have to fight, fight like a cornered cat.

·
Registered
21,518 Posts
I make a quote from Massad Ayoob
“The power of a gun is never ignored, no matter how accustomed one becomes to the weight on his hip. A man carrying a gun for the first time is acutely, even uncomfortable aware of its presents. After a time, he ceases to notice both the weight and the responsibility not because he has forgot then them but because they have both assimilated into his bearing and demeanor”
From his book “in gravest extreme” chapter 11 under discretion

·
Registered
1 Posts
Where can i get to learn the lessons online?? I'm heavily interested but due to my job i would not be able to cope up with the school so,please suggest me some good sites so that i can learn my self.

·
Registered
21,518 Posts
Where can i get to learn the lessons online?? I'm heavily interested but due to my job i would not be able to cope up with the school so,please suggest me some good sites so that i can learn my self.
You-tube is full of them; go to the PDN (personal defense network). It’s a great place to start and then there will be links to others and sites

1 - 11 of 11 Posts