Glock Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some expert advise on this .
A month ago one of my best friends was shot thru the heart by his .40 cal Glock .
He was preparing several guns to clean .outside under a oak tree . A shot gun next to his truck . Two revolvers laying on a cooler next to his chair . Chambers open . A can of cleaner , a paper towel( un-used)And the clip to the glock laying there as well . If this was a sucide . He was for sure trying to make it look like a accident . Some family believe it could be either .
Nothing had actually been cleaned . And I can't believe he would ever use a paper towel to clean a gun . He was a rancher and been around guns all his life . His son agrees with this as well . He would not use a paper towel .
The exit wound was lower then the entry wound . And no flash burn around the clothing of the entry wound .The glock laying on the ground between his feet . Chamber closed ( and no clip, it was laying on the cooler next to him . )
I know this is a sad topic . But warrants answers .
So , the question . How was the chamber closed ? Does the clip not being in the glock have anything to do with it ?
I sure believed it was an accident . At first . But I now believe he staged it to look that way . He had even bought a lotto ticket two hours before . Laying on the coffee table in the house .

·
Registered
21,518 Posts
So , the question . How was the chamber closed ? Does the clip not being in the glock have anything to do with it ?
First off sorry for your loss, it takes a lot for someone to end their own life but it seems to be a growing problem amongst younger people not being able to handle stress of life. And the answer to your question is yes the slide can be closed on a chambered round and if it was a suicide there are ways of telling from gunpowder residue and body placement.

·
Banned
966 Posts
That is weird that the slide was closed after the last (only) shot was fired. It might be that if you have a round chambered with the magazine out and fire that round, the slide doesn't stay open. I don't know, I've never tried it, but I know the slide can behave differently depending on whether the mag is in or not.

If it was an accident, he must've dropped the mag and forgot about the one in the pipe, but I have no idea why he'd pull the trigger with the gun pointed at this chest. Suicide does seem more likely, but not because the slide was closed.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Looking for some expert advise on this .
A month ago one of my best friends was shot thru the heart by his .40 cal Glock .
He was preparing several guns to clean .outside under a oak tree . A shot gun next to his truck . Two revolvers laying on a cooler next to his chair . Chambers open . A can of cleaner , a paper towel( un-used)And the clip to the glock laying there as well . If this was a sucide . He was for sure trying to make it look like a accident . Some family believe it could be either .
Nothing had actually been cleaned . And I can't believe he would ever use a paper towel to clean a gun . He was a rancher and been around guns all his life . His son agrees with this as well . He would not use a paper towel .
The exit wound was lower then the entry wound . And no flash burn around the clothing of the entry wound .The glock laying on the ground between his feet . Chamber closed ( and no clip, it was laying on the cooler next to him . )
I know this is a sad topic . But warrants answers .
I sure believed it was an accident . At first . But I now believe he staged it to look that way . He had even bought a lotto ticket two hours before . Laying on the coffee table in the house .
I am very sorry to hear about this. Sad, indeed. As far as what happened, I myself, wouldn't begin to speculate. With the experts in the field of forensics and law enforcement, they will figure it out and come to a correct conclusion. Again, I know it's hard to take in, being someone that close, but honestly, you may "beat yourself up" trying to figure it out yourself. Wait and hear what the officials say. Sorry again.

Reactions: texcowboy

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
sorry to hear about such a tragedy. my advice would be to seek out help from local police, your friends doctor, a firearms expert in the area so he can examine the gun, and other friends and family members. as a retired leo from the state of mass there is just to little info and a lot of investigation to be done.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thanks

Thank you all for the kind remarks .
I should have stated , it was ruled a sucide . And his son and I have talked to the police chief .
Main reason is . The gun had to be held away from him pointed in a down angle . The bullet exited thru the back of the chair as well . Which would indicate he wasn't leanining forward .
His wife found him . And thought he had just fell asleep in the chair at first . It was just a fold up chair like you would dove hunt with or take to a ball game . I have ask ever question imaginable . Including was the cap on the can of cleaner . Which it was .
The only question nobody could answer was why was the chamber closed .
We are a very small town of three thousand . Not like we have a CSI here . Not to discredit our police dept what so ever .
The bottom line is . Like I told his wife . Weather he did it or not . He wanted it to look like an accident . It's want he wanted us to believe .
His son has the guns back now . And has decided at this time to never fire the glock that killed his dad . We discussed destroying the gun . But we both have the belief . Guns killing people is about the same as believing pencils misspell words ! His son has a glock pretty much like the one his dad had . We are going to test a few things like firing without the mag . And how the slide could close . Or how easy . Including falling to the ground after .
Thanks again for all the advise , info and kind words .

·
Registered
65 Posts
Sorry for your loss. To answer your question the magazine has to be in the gun for the slide to lock back after the last round. The magazine follower is 1 of the parts that causes the slide to lock open.

·
Registered
21,518 Posts
In all fairness if a mag is damaged or the slide lock is damaged the slide will not lock back

·
Registered
61 Posts
sorry for your loss, Thats terrible. I believe the mag holds the slide open as part of it. Not possitive but if you look at the mag there is a cut out on it that holds slide, however im not close to being an expert

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
welcome Pappy, Sorry for your loss. If there was no magazine in the weapon he could still have had a round in the chamber. If this was the case then the slide would not have locked to the rear after the round was fired. It's best to let the investigation play out and see what the coroners inquest and police investigation reveal before jumping to conclusions

·
Registered
960 Posts
welcome Pappy, Sorry for your loss. If there was no magazine in the weapon he could still have had a round in the chamber. If this was the case then the slide would not have locked to the rear after the round was fired. It's best to let the investigation play out and see what the coroners inquest and police investigation reveal before jumping to conclusions
Well said! Even though it's hard to cope with, don't let your mind take you places that will "drive you nuts". Honestly, the truth will be revealed at some point, and whether it's what you or the family want to hear, it will be the truth. Again, sorry, I have been through a similar situation.

·
Registered
21,518 Posts
what don't sound right is woman shoot them self’s on the chest (they like a pretty corpse) and men shoot them self’s in the head because they don't care

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The Mag not being in the gun . Makes sense . If the mag is part of what keeps the slide open after the last round .

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
Sorry for your loss...Hope they get it figured out for everybody concerned...

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
what don't sound right is woman shoot them self’s on the chest (they like a pretty corpse) and men shoot them self’s in the head because they don't care
I doubt that has been been determined to be an exact science..nobody knows what is going thru someones mind before an act like that...

·
Registered
960 Posts
I doubt that has been been determined to be an exact science..nobody knows what is going thru someones mind before an act like that...
I certainly have to agree with that. Never having that thought cross MY mind, I'm sure it's very hard to speculate what types of methods these poor people use. Honestly hope ANYONE would try to get help before it reached that point. Very sad indeed!

·
Premium Member
567 Posts
If the mag was removed but there was a round in a chamber after the gun is fired there would be nothing to keep the slide back (empty mag does that). Sounds about right, sorry to hear tho. :(

1 - 18 of 18 Posts