Glock Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Glock 23 Gen 4. No mods to it really besides a pierce grip +2 extention. I've noticed a couple things, I'm not sure if this has always been the case and I'm just noticing it but I noticed that with an empty magazine inserted I cannot charge the slide. The only way to release the slide is with the lever. This is the case with stock magazines and the +2 extention. Also today I noticed that when I have the slide open and I drop a bullet into the chamber and charge the slide with or without a magazine, the slide will get hung up not close completely, unless again, I use the lever to release the slide. Any ideas what the problem might be? I polished the feed ramp and tried different ammunition to no avail. Thank you!

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
The empty mag is meant to keep the slide open. It's designed that way.

As for the dropping a round into the chamber it sounds to me as if you're riding the slide forward. If you remove the empty mag and pull back and release the slide it should go into battery no problem, unless you're riding it home instead of letting it go. But with an empty mag in the weapon the slide shouldn't go into battery without you hitting the slide release.

·
Registered
683 Posts
It has been said repeatedly here before.DO NOT DROP A ROUND IN THE CHAMBER AND CLOSE THE SLIDE ON IT! Doing so WILL chip your extractor. The extractor is not designed to pivot and slip over the rim of a cartridge. I found out the hard way and had to replace an extractor on a model 21 back in 1992.

·
Registered
874 Posts
I have a Glock 23 Gen 4. No mods to it really besides a pierce grip +2 extention. I've noticed a couple things, I'm not sure if this has always been the case and I'm just noticing it but I noticed that with an empty magazine inserted I cannot charge the slide. The only way to release the slide is with the lever. This is the case with stock magazines and the +2 extention.

Also today I noticed that when I have the slide open and I drop a bullet into the chamber and charge the slide with or without a magazine, the slide will get hung up not close completely, unless again, I use the lever to release the slide. Any ideas what the problem might be? I polished the feed ramp and tried different ammunition to no avail. Thank you!
You ARE new! (It's OK; everybody has to start sometime.)

1. If you look closely at that inserted magazine you'll see a little cutout in the follower. It's designed to push up on and lock the slide stop back in order to hold the slide in its rearward position.

2. As you've already been told: Do NOT drop rounds into the chamber by hand and, then, slam the slide shut on them. (Ultimately, you WILL damage your extractor; and, especially, if it's one of Glock's new MIM extractors - Which I'm sure it is.)

3. I have no idea, 'what' is preventing your slide from closing completely, 'unless you use the lever'? The lever only works when it engages its companion slide notch, and at no other time. Any new polymer frame gun can be, 'sticky'. In my experience you need to run a minimum of 300 + rounds through a polymer frame BEFORE things start to loosen up.

(The Illinois State Police used to run 750 fired rounds through each new Glock before releasing it for use in the field. Me? On a brand new, Glock with a problem I've run as many as 1,000 fired rounds through an initially troublesome pistol before carrying it for self-defense.)

4. On a guess I'm going to say that you are, indeed, 'following' the slide into battery with your support hand. Never drop rounds into the chamber and, then, snap the slide shut. Never slam the slide shut on an empty chamber, either; but, then again, it IS your gun.

5. One more thing: Are you, by any chance, applying light pressure to the trigger while you're trying to close that slide? If so be very careful when you're using live ammunition. In fact be very careful where you point that muzzle and/or when you touch the trigger for any reason.

6. Don't forget what I said about new polymer frame handguns: They can be, 'cranky' when brand spanking new!

NOTE: There is a possibility that the striker safety cam on the trigger bar AND the safety button are jamming up, together, just before the slide either fully closes, or is remove from the gun - This is especially likely to happen when you close the slide by hand on a new Gen4 Glock. This problem should correct itself as the gun wears in. IF this happens while you're disassembling AN EMPTY GLOCK you can alleviate the problem by pointing the empty pistol in a safe direction, begin to remove the slide; and, then, return the trigger to its forward position as the slide comes off the last half of the frame.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts