Glock Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heading out in a few minutes to pick up my new Gen 4 19 that's been on layaway for a couple of weeks.:) . Yesterday grabbed a new pair of Peltor Tactical Electronic Muffs, and got 100 rounds of Federal Champion 115gr from Wallyworld for under $20. (If it runs good, I'll go back and clean them out at that price). When I get home I'll be ordering a new holster/mag pouch. So far, that's a tossup between a Comp-Tac paddle OWB and a Mako. Have to do some "soul searching" between now and then. :D

·
Registered
21,518 Posts
nothing like a new toy and the first time at the range with it

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
That does sound like Christmas !!!!!

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Got my new prize home, and all is in order. Only thing I don't much care for is that pitiful mag loader they pack with it. It might save your thumb, but I'm pretty sure I see an Uplula loader in my future.;)

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
I use the Uplula loader, tried the Glock mag loader once, pitiful is a good description.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Let us know how it shoots and which grip size you end up going with.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I use the Uplula loader, tried the Glock mag loader once, pitiful is a good description.
+1 Had this loader out while doing some shooting at my parents farm and my dad was like what is that. I showed him and right away he wanted 1 for Christmas.....

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Let us know how it shoots and which grip size you end up going with.

OK, here goes. Went to the range for a bit this AM. Had four mags loaded with 115gr Federal Champion from Wallyworld. Fired total of 80 rounds...all mags functioned as advertised. Had two BTF's out of 80...I can live with that. All other cases went out at 3-4 o'clock. No FTF or FTE.

Shooting impressions: The sights are an abomination, at least to my eyes. Rear notch is too narrow and the white outline rear and dot front seem to create a solid bar of white. I'm going to recommend a set of Heinie sights to my wife when I get up the nerve to mention it:eek: . Trigger advertised as the 5.5. I don't have a pull gauge, but if that trigger is 5.5 I'll eat my cap. Little to no overtravel, but in trying to get the gun to go bang without jerking it, the whole process brought out the best of the familial tremors that I occasionally suffer from. This resulted in my having a hell of a time in keeping the shots on an 8" bull from 10 yards. Finally, in desperation, I began to fire one shot at a time from a low ready position and a modified Weaver stance. Apparently, like the Sundance Kid, "I'm better when I move". I kept every shot on the target.

Oh well, this was the first trigger time I've had in almost 20 years so I didn't really expect that much out of me anyway. Need more ammo and more practice. Things will get better with a little effort on my part......:rolleyes:

Oh yes...the gun came with the small grip and it fit my hand as it was. Saw no need to try and change it. The one thing I'll try one of these days is the Grip Force Adaptor as it's supposed to straighten the grip angle out a bit.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
OK, here goes. Went to the range for a bit this AM. Had four mags loaded with 115gr Federal Champion from Wallyworld. Fired total of 80 rounds...all mags functioned as advertised. Had two BTF's out of 80...I can live with that. All other cases went out at 3-4 o'clock. No FTF or FTE.

Shooting impressions: The sights are an abomination, at least to my eyes. Rear notch is too narrow and the white outline rear and dot front seem to create a solid bar of white. I'm going to recommend a set of Heinie sights to my wife when I get up the nerve to mention it:eek: . Trigger advertised as the 5.5. I don't have a pull gauge, but if that trigger is 5.5 I'll eat my cap. Little to no overtravel, but in trying to get the gun to go bang without jerking it, the whole process brought out the best of the familial tremors that I occasionally suffer from. This resulted in my having a hell of a time in keeping the shots on an 8" bull from 10 yards. Finally, in desperation, I began to fire one shot at a time from a low ready position and a modified Weaver stance. Apparently, like the Sundance Kid, "I'm better when I move". I kept every shot on the target.

Oh well, this was the first trigger time I've had in almost 20 years so I didn't really expect that much out of me anyway. Need more ammo and more practice. Things will get better with a little effort on my part......:rolleyes:

Oh yes...the gun came with the small grip and it fit my hand as it was. Saw no need to try and change it. The one thing I'll try one of these days is the Grip Force Adaptor as it's supposed to straighten the grip angle out a bit.
Thanks for sharing. First time in 20 years? Sir, you're going to be just fine.

Funny you mentioned the "modified Weaver stance". When I first got back into shooting a few years ago, I tried the isosceles, but with the Glock, the Chapman/modified Weaver worked much better. Maybe it's because I'm right-handed/left-eye dominant. Who knows? But I'm a big fan of that stance - same one hickok45 uses too :)

·
Registered
960 Posts
At first I really didn't like the Glock mag loader but after I was able to master it, letting the round slip into place while letting the loader rise up, I really like them. That's just me of course, different strokes for different folks! :)

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I am not a fan of the isosceles at all....never have been. In my competition days the modified Weaver was all I ever used whether shooting for speed or accuracy. If one can "shoot the triangle", more power to them. I'll dance with what brung me;)

·
Registered
115 Posts
Congratulations on the new gun! I have that exact same gun, and I love it with the stock grips and all. I tried the Glock loader a couple of times and just decided to bag it and do it all bare handed, which is no problem now that I've figured out how to do it. It's nice when Christmas comes early... :cool:

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Nice Toys, now what are you going to do for Christmas?

Try and talk my wife into a case or two of ammo, and a decent set of sights. Will probably have to settle for just one case and no sights until after the first of the year.........:p

·
Registered
14 Posts
"100 rounds of Federal Champion 115gr from Wallyworld for under $20. (If it runs good, I'll go back and clean them out at that price)."

FYI, we have had more trouble with this ammo than any that we have tried in our G4 19. I have seen others claim the same in ammo tests. I do not have nearly as much trouble as my wife, as I probably keep my wrist more firm, but I do beleive that some of the rounds are a bit unpowered.

·
Registered
115 Posts
If I was buying my ammo from Wally World (and I do), I'd hold out for the Winchester 100 round white box. I've probably put close to 800 rounds of that stuff through our pistols (Glock Gen 4 model 19 and a Ruger SR9c) and neither has had a moments problem with the ammo. At our Wally World, the Winchester white box will run you just a bit under $24. It's so popular that they have a devil of a time keeping it in stock; when I see they have it on the shelf, I always buy at least two boxes.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I fired total of 100 rounds of the Federal Champion. No problems. I'd prefer 124gr loads but can't find them locally. Went back for more of the Federal two days ago, and it was gone. Had one box of the WW "White" box 100 rounds so bought that. The handgun ammo shelves were all but bare. Girl said after this last election it was like '08 all over again. They were expecting more ammo in shortly. I've got several online sources bookmarked and may order from them.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts