Glock Forum banner

Should I clean/lubricate my Glock before its first use?

• Yes

Votes: 17 47.2%
  • No

Votes: 19 52.8%
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning everybody, I just bought my first Glock (and first handgun) this week and was planning on taking it to the range sometime today. My question is, should I make any attempt to clean or lubricate the gun before I use it for the first time? If it makes any difference, it's a Glock 19. Thanks in advance everybody!

·
Registered
21,518 Posts
Let me ask you this; do you know where it's been before you got it? Or if there is anything in the barrel that might block it ?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Good morning everybody, I just bought my first Glock (and first handgun) this week and was planning on taking it to the range sometime today. My question is, should I make any attempt to clean or lubricate the gun before I use it for the first time? If it makes any difference, it's a Glock 19. Thanks in advance everybody!
I bought my G19 G4 last week. I was told (by GT Distributors, Glock SMEs) not to CLP until after 500 rounds. Then, he pulled & locked the slide to show me a small trail of redish-brown grease. This is my second Glock but first NIB.

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
I take my new OTB Glocks to the range and shoot them as is. They are test fired from the factory. I dont clean them until at least 100 or so rounds. I do take a look at the innards before shooting just to make sure everything looks OK. After that I dont usually clean them after every trip to the range. I got into this habit since going the Glock route, with every other type gun I have owned they would get a cleaning after every firing. Glocks just dont need it.

Come to think of it, my G19 GEN 4 has been to the range a couple of times and has about 200 rounds thru it and has not been cleaned yet.

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
I always like to at least swab out the barrel of anything I'm gonna shoot, with a patch with some BreakFree CLP...this is based on the fact that it's my gun, and I cleaned it after I shot it last, and put it away clean...Some may think this is a bit overdone, but I don't really concern myself with what someone else thinks..especially when it comes to safety...Do this with barely any CLP on the patch...just enough to remove any dust, etc...and then a dry patch behind it...
30 seconds that may prove invaluable...just say'n...
Glocks in general don't have to be scrubbed...or overcleaned...they're durable, for sure...Always eyeball down the barrel of the disassembled gun, at an absolute minimum, to safety check any firearm you're gonna shoot...

·
Registered
21,518 Posts
This is one of those things that for some reason people got it in their heads that Glock’s don't need to be cleaned. It’s my military training and that of my uncle that got me into guns that if you touch it, you wipe it down before putting it up and if you shoot it you clean it without exception. (not a detailed strip but a field strip)

Both have guns that work and look great that are older than me so I can't say they are wrong

·
Registered
960 Posts
It should be ready to fire out of the box, however, I do like to take them down (field strip) just to give it a once over before I fire it. Especially making sure the barrel is clean and clear of any possible obstruction. As far as cleaning, I'm kind of like barstoolguru, If it gets fired, now matter how many rounds, it gets cleaned. The same day. There have been days where I have taken all 4 pistols to the range with lots of ammo. I can remember still being up at midnight finishing up the cleaning. Something I can do while sitting in front of the TV with a cold Becks!! :)

·
Registered
960 Posts
By the way, I see you are in Hunstville. Not so far from my neck of the woods. Not sure if you know where Locust Fork is. I love the range there. It's called Greenridge. Kind of reminds me of a small "ma and pa" restaurant. Opened up very recently with a man and wife owner. He makes constant changes and additions as money is rolling in. He offers me a military discount but I pay full price because I want his range to be successful. Great guy and great people there! :)

Here is a link to their website if you would like to check it out...........
http://greenridgeshootingrange.com/

It's listed as Cleveland, Al. but is actually closer to Locust Fork.

·
Registered
21,518 Posts
one thing I have always taught my kids was to change their own oil on their cars/trucks not just to save money BUT to do a visual inspection of the underside of the vehicle. One never knows what happens on the road and as is with a gun, the firearm goes under a lot of stress when cycling a round and things can break or crack. If you never clean it; chances are you will never see it

slide to show me a small trail of redish-brown grease
that is anti-seize compound to long term storage and it's copper

Reactions: Soldiernurse

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
By the way, I see you are in Hunstville. Not so far from my neck of the woods. Not sure if you know where Locust Fork is. I love the range there. It's called Greenridge. Kind of reminds me of a small "ma and pa" restaurant. Opened up very recently with a man and wife owner. He makes constant changes and additions as money is rolling in. He offers me a military discount but I pay full price because I want his range to be successful. Great guy and great people there! :)

Green Ridge Shooting Range

In my travel thru Huntsville, I found the most awesome gun shop/range...Larry's Pistol...I've never seen anything to beat it for firearms/prices/knowledge.

·
Registered
960 Posts
In my travel thru Huntsville, I found the most awesome gun shop/range...Larry's Pistol...I've never seen anything to beat it for firearms/prices/knowledge.
Good to know! I'm going to try to get up that way soon to get my I.D. updated and just kind of "look around". I love going to the NASA exhibits there!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Green Ridge Shooting Range

Thanks for all the input! From what I gather the best thing I should do is to give the barrel an eyeball test and maybe a couple of wipes with light cleaner and dry it thoroughly before I take it out this afternoon. Afterwards a more thorough cleaning/oiling.

I have a good friend who lives nearby to Locust Fork in Oneonta, I'll have to check out that range if I'm ever in his neck of the woods!

·
Registered
960 Posts
Thanks for all the input! From what I gather the best thing I should do is to give the barrel an eyeball test and maybe a couple of wipes with light cleaner and dry it thoroughly before I take it out this afternoon. Afterwards a more thorough cleaning/oiling.

I have a good friend who lives nearby to Locust Fork in Oneonta, I'll have to check out that range if I'm ever in his neck of the woods!
Good! If you get in the area, send me a message. I actually live in Oneonta! Nice community here!

(I list Birmingham as my location because that is where I was raised)

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am very new to this forum but I just recently bought my first Glock. A gen 4 23 and I could not be happier.I always clean my weapons out of the box, BEFORE shooting. I have never liked factory grease from any Manufacturer. Although Glocks are pleasant smelling , the factory grease, in my opinion leaves something to be desired in terms of actual lubrication. I like to clean them thoroughly and then use Frog Lube.

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
Welcome to the Forum OutdoorSerenity !

·
Registered
960 Posts
Welcome to the Forum!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts