Glock Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found this online, IMHO the G21 would be a better all around weapon. How much do you want to bet the G21 was not considered because of no external safety?

Washington, July 29 (ANI): A handgun, often called the greatest handgun ever made, and designed by the legendary John Browning for the U.S. Military around 1911, is set to make a big comeback, after U.S. Marines placed a 22.5 million dollar order for the Connecticut-made pistols.

The Colt .45 M1911, which has been wielded on film by John Wayne and in real life by Sgt. Alvin York and Maj. Audie Murphy, was the standard-issue sidearm in the military for decades, until it was replaced by the Beretta M9 in 1985.

"It just became an iconic part of military and American history," Fox News quoted Gerry Dinkel, CEO and president of Colt Defense, as saying.

The gun, one of the most successful pistols ever used at Camp Perry's National Matches, a competition known to be the main world event in artillery sports, has barely changed since it's creation. Dinkel says that shows the gun's "elegant design" just can't be improved on. And firearms experts agree with Dinkel.

"You can't beat a .45 cartridge. Some things are hard to replace," said Jack Lewis, firearms director for Cowan's Auctions.

Colt Defense will supply as many as 12,000 of the 200,000 U.S. Marines with semi-automatic, tan-colored M45 Close Quarter Battle Pistols, and they will include spare parts and logistical support. The gun has long been the weapon of choice for special operations agents, thanks to its reliability and the stopping power of its massive bullets.

"To have the 1911 selected again for U. S. Forces 101 years after its initial introduction is just an incredible testament to the timeless design and effectiveness of the Colt 1911. This is truly a gratifying contract award," Dinkel added. (ANI)

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
I know the Marines will be happy. I picked up a used Beretta 92F a couple of weeks ago because I have wanted one since I ETSed from the Army just as they were being issued. It is a nice shooter but it's dirty as hell shooting it. Because the top breach is open you get blow back all over your arm and close. I's sure they will be glad to get back to a cleaner system.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Nice to see the .45 back in numbers, but I agree - a G21 would have been my preference.

And yes, the external safety is probably the issue there.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
I have a springfield 1911 and i dont see the attraction in it. Sure wouldnt give up my G21 sf for 1
I would say that the biggest attraction is that the 1911 has over 100 years of proven reliability with the US Military. Has fought successfully in at least 5 wars 2 of which were World wars allowing the weapon to be battle tested in any weather conditions you could imagine you would run into on this planet. Those are some pretty good reasons, not to mention a solid reliable round. I have a Springfield 1911, I don't CC it but I do love it.

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would say that the biggest attraction is that the 1911 has over 100 years of proven reliability with the US Military. Has fought successfully in at least 5 wars 2 of which were World wars allowing the weapon to be battle tested in any weather conditions you could imagine you would run into on this planet. Those are some pretty good reasons, not to mention a solid reliable round. I have a Springfield 1911, I don't CC it but I do love it.
For many, many years i was a hard core 1911 fan and I still like them. They are battle proven in all kinds of conditions, and of course you are correct about the 45acp being a solid reliable round (here I will mention I am not a fan of the 9mm although i keep one for range use and for ammo availability). But just look at how many armies and police forces the world over carry and use the Glock. Also, the torture tests of the Glock are amazing, not to mention their ease in maintaining. Again, I will be willing to bet my best hat that the lack of an external safety figured in prominently.
All in all, I am happy to see the old war horse come back into service over the Berretta 9mm. I have had the Berretta in 9mm and in 40 S&W and never had a problem with function or accuracy but always thought the size and weight was overkill for the 9mm. The open breech always worried me also.
My favorite Glock is my G21SF GEN 3 RTF2 limited edition.

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
I agree that they will be happier with a 1911 than with a Beretta...however, I too, wish that they would give Glock a shot...so much more practical all around...and I'm not sure that today's Colt will give the quality they're looking for...they've had quality issues for a while. I just hope they wil get the quality weapon they deserve.

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
I don't know that I'm so much of a 1911 fan (it's still a cool pistol) as I am a fan of the .45 acp cartridge and it's 'man-stopping' abilities itself! Although the 1911 is a classic weapon that has a time-proven reliability factor that no other pistol can compare!

Over the past 90 days, I've been leaning towards getting a .45 acp pistol, but with having smaller hands, a full-sized G-21, or 1911 for that matter, just wasn't comfortable. With the development of the 'slim-frame' or SF Glock pistols, and after having handled a G-30 SF, I'm convinced that's the route I will probably go at this time. Although 'Commander' sized 1911's with bobbed-tail grips are quite comfortable...hmmm?

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I don't know that I'm so much of a 1911 fan (it's still a cool pistol) as I am a fan of the .45 acp cartridge and it's 'man-stopping' abilities itself! Although the 1911 is a classic weapon that has a time-proven reliability factor that no other pistol can compare!

Over the past 90 days, I've been leaning towards getting a .45 acp pistol, but with having smaller hands, a full-sized G-21, or 1911 for that matter, just wasn't comfortable. With the development of the 'slim-frame' or SF Glock pistols, and after having handled a G-30 SF, I'm convinced that's the route I will probably go at this time. Although 'Commander' sized 1911's with bobbed-tail grips are quite comfortable...hmmm?
I think the 4th gen G21 with no backstrap has the same grip circumference as a G30SF.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Alot of good descussions on this topic ,,, well hope they do there best and give our Military the very best for they deserve exactly that

1 - 10 of 10 Posts