Glock Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Computers. NOT Phones.

What are you using? I run Windows 7. I was havin a bit of trouble...
Svchost...was runnin in the background, at about a million bytes, and really just slowin me to a crawl sometimes. Got Sick of it.

I COMPLETELY stopped Windows Updates, even the notifications. Guess what? My computer is runnin...GREAT!
Shut OFF your windows Updates, if you're runnin windows 7, and Don't Update!!

As for Windows 10...NOT ON A BET! When windows 7 finally petters out on me, in the next, maby 3 years, I'll go to Linux OS, with a windows Shell.
I'm a super CLEAN FREAK, in keepin my computer "Clean"...the best I can.

Who Knew...the Biggest VIRUS...IS Microsoft. Shut OFF your "Microsoft Updates".

Reactions: MisterMills357

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
I'm a MAC guy my friend. I got sick of Windows years ago. I played with Ubuntu (Linux) a bit as well, it was a clean interface but not too user friendly for most.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I graduated to a mac 10 yrs ago.
I had previously been with Windows from their 3.0 (way back when) thru XP.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Like you I'm a clean freak. I switched to Linux years ago. Ubuntu and a few others are very user friendly. Windows plays nice with more things though like printers and games. Most of which you can get running but that's where the user friendly part gets harder.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
I have so much crap on my computer I can't hardly find stuff I'm looking for. My computer is still fast and crisp because I still use "XP" and I know it is old but it is still the best thing Micro -Crap ever had or will have.
They can take windows 10 and stick it where the sun don't shine as far as I'm concerned. Could they make it a little more complicated and harder to use if your not playing some game???????? I really don't think so.
Ronnie

·
Registered
49 Posts
I switched to Ubuntu years ago after getting sick of Micro$oft crap. Stuck with Ubuntu a few years then switched to Xubuntu, which I consider a cleaner, simpler interface. This month is when the LTS versions of all the "buntus" will be coming out so if you're gonna switch the LTS (Long Term Support) version is the way to go.

·
Registered
7,263 Posts
My 10yo Dell bit the big one finally in March. I went to Walmart and got an ACER Aspire with Windows 8.1 64 bit. It does do video a bunch faster than my Dell with the XP. It was $175 on clearance. I have been having problems (network I believe) I run Malewarebytes 2 times or more a week. AVG Free 1 time a week. Sometimes Superanti-spyware everyday. Tried to download Combofix today. It doesn't work with my OS.

I was having service interuptions with the old computer. Blah-blah from AT&T old rig etc. Now I am having it again. Some times it locks up. I deleted Macafee day one. Deleted a lot of crap that was on it from the factory.

·
Registered
4,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My 10yo Dell bit the big one finally in March. I went to Walmart and got an ACER Aspire with Windows 8.1 64 bit. It does do video a bunch faster than my Dell with the XP. It was $175 on clearance. I have been having problems (network I believe) I run Malewarebytes 2 times or more a week. AVG Free 1 time a week. Sometimes Superanti-spyware everyday. Tried to download Combofix today. It doesn't work with my OS.

I was having service interuptions with the old computer. Blah-blah from AT&T old rig etc. Now I am having it again. Some times it locks up. I deleted Macafee day one. Deleted a lot of crap that was on it from the factory.
I just reloaded a laptop that the password was lost on for my son in Laws business, with 8.1. Deleted all the crap programs. Installed MS Essentials, Spy Bot, and Ccleaner, and it's not to bad of an operating system. Also Shut off the damned Automatic Updates.

Try shutting off the Automatic updates completely and see if that helps.

Reactions: NunquamNonParatus

·
Registered
7,263 Posts
Not sure about the auto updates. I'll delve into that. I got this one because it didn't have Windows10. I get the "update for free W10" everyday. Bite me! Ain't happening.

Reactions: Swampfox762

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
I tried to help someone with Windows 8, after it came out, and I was mortified by its bloated, haphazard design. It was like they had slung something together and then had to get it out there.
I did not come out of it looking like a tech genius either, nope I looked like a goof, and it was the system that was half-baked. I have an XP system and when I upgrade, it will be one of two versions behind whatever is current.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Top MS Engineer Uses a Mac

Computers. NOT Phones.

What are you using? I run Windows 7. I was havin a bit of trouble...
Svchost...was runnin in the background, at about a million bytes, and really just slowin me to a crawl sometimes. Got Sick of it.

I COMPLETELY stopped Windows Updates, even the notifications. Guess what? My computer is runnin...GREAT!
Shut OFF your windows Updates, if you're runnin windows 7, and Don't Update!!

As for Windows 10...NOT ON A BET! When windows 7 finally petters out on me, in the next, maby 3 years, I'll go to Linux OS, with a windows Shell.
I'm a super CLEAN FREAK, in keepin my computer "Clean"...the best I can.

Who Knew...the Biggest VIRUS...IS Microsoft. Shut OFF your "Microsoft Updates".
I rented a cabin near Lake Cushman a few years ago. (Off US 101 across from Seattle) The owner was one of MS's top software engineers___developing the OS systems. He and his wife
both used Macs! And___from early on so did Bill Gates.
For you who do need Windows (Some special apps) if you have a Mac you can install Windows and you then can choose which OS you want to use. However, you'll still need to install
protection apps on the Windows system. You will likely find yourself liking the Apple OS.
This said, we bought a Dell a few years back (Wife thought she could use it for making some dollars____didn't happen) and although it wasn't intuitive to use we really didn't have
any problems with it. We just kept the (on a pretty regular basis) updates that came up every month or so.

·
Registered
4,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Not sure about the auto updates. I'll delve into that. I got this one because it didn't have Windows10. I get the "update for free W10" everyday. Bite me! Ain't happening.
On the start menu, type in "Microsoft Updates", It will take ya right to where you can turn that damn thing OFF. Try it for a few weeks. I sure can see a difference. Ya don't like it, just turn it back on.

·
Registered
7,263 Posts
Thanks Swampy! I did just that and we'll see how it works. Always adding crap without you knowing it. Usually no need for them. Another reason not to have 10.

Reactions: Swampfox762

·
Registered
4,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks Swampy! I did just that and we'll see how it works. Always adding crap without you knowing it. Usually no need for them. Another reason not to have 10.
Yup. My theory is, "if it ain't broke, and everything is workin"...I don't need an "Update". Can't count how many times "Updates" have Screwed my computer up!!! That's why I keep several "Ghosts". So I can put my computer back to where it was before Microsoft Fucked it up with a "Update". Nope. I've had my updates shut off for about a year now. You Still will get those prompts to "Upgrade FREE to Windows 10" though. Like you said...NOT a Chance!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hope it works for ya. It's been a real help for me. I've shut that damn thing down on ALL 4 of our Computers. 2 Desktops and 2 Laptops. Speeds up the computers too...least for me.

·
Registered
7,263 Posts
I was still having my rig freezing up again. I'll just tote it to a friend's and tinker with it some. It's what he does for a living. I may dump the windows all together. I got several service interuptions last week. It could very well be the LAN (I hope that is the right term) yet when I try to close a window nothing will happen during the times of the lock up.

·
Registered
4,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I was still having my rig freezing up again. I'll just tote it to a friend's and tinker with it some. It's what he does for a living. I may dump the windows all together. I got several service interuptions last week. It could very well be the LAN (I hope that is the right term) yet when I try to close a window nothing will happen during the times of the lock up.
Hopefully maby, it's just the interned card might be bad.
There is just so much SHIT goin on nowdays on the internet, and with Microsoft FUCK.:mad: I use to like Microsoft. I hate the company anymore.

IE 11, basically ain't worth a shit anymore.
There is hardly any vids you can watch that are Flash Vids, with IE anymore. To watch a Flash Vid, I have to copy the link and bring up Firefox, and watch it there. Microfuck wants ya to go to the VIRUS of windows 10!! NOT happening!! Mark my words...Windows 10 is a personal intruding VIRUS you download to your computer...for "Free"!! Talk about "Track your ass".

While I'm Bitchin about Microsoft...How about every time ya want to watch a Vid, they stick a fuckin ad in your face for 15-30 seconds? Screw that. I open vids in another window, while the friggin ad is running, I switch back to where I was at...read for another 30 seconds or so, then switch back, after the friggin ad is done.

AND...how about those news sites that want you to "Sign up" to read their shit??? Fuck YOU too!! "You have 3 more free stories you can read unless you sign up." :mad:

Getting on line anymore...The "experience"...is just trashed anymore, with Flashing ads, in your face pop ups...It just almost ain't worth login in anymore.

·
Registered
7,263 Posts
mine is behaving in many ways just like the old one.

·
Registered
4,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

·
Registered
874 Posts
An Apple iMac, OS X, 'El Capitan'. After spending more than 20 years with Microsoft Windows I ain't never going back. Besides, I'm retired now; and I no longer need to run complicated software like Microsoft Office.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts