Glock Forum banner

Concealed Carry - Glock 22 / Suggestions

4K views 20 replies 6 participants last post by  Jordanjf86 
#1 ·
I currently have a Glock 22 Gen 4 and recently bought a BLACKHAWK SERPA CONCEALMENT HOLSTER RIGHT HAND MATTE FINISH GLOCK 17/22/31 (sorry for caps that's the title of the holster), but I've found that it's a littler harder to conceal than I anticipated. I'm 5'11" and about 190lb medium build. I only have a select few shirts that are even long enough to cover the weapon, let alone keep it from printing. I want to know if this is because of 1) my clothing, 2) the gun, 3) the holster, or possibly a combination of any one of them. I would like some input on those who carry G22 daily, or those who have carried quite a few glocks and found their preference. I really appreciate any and all input.

Thanks,

Hazime

#2 ·
Hello. Most people don't conceal the full size guns and stick to the compacts and sub compacts for concealed carry. There are a few guys that carry full size guns though it just depends on your carry position, clothes, body shape etc. I've carried my G22 in an IWB holster a few times, the grip being so long increased the potential for printing but it wasn't too bad. I keep my G22 for home defense and my G27 for my carry gun. Welcome to the forum.

Reactions: Hazime
#3 ·
I figured as much, but I only have this and a .38 special 5 shot which is more or less for collecting than I believe worth carrying. If I'm not mistaken the G27 is the smallest in the series? Is the G23 too big to carry as well? Also if I were to purchase the G27, what is a good holster for it? Do you prefer IWB or outer wear? Sorry for all of the questions I'm new here and new to carrying. Thank you for the welcome.

#4 ·
Yeah the 27 is the smallest 40 caliber Glock. I haven't used an owb holster with mine but I am pretty happy with the IWB holsters. I use a Foxx Hybrid. Crossbreed also makes a very good holster but they cost a bit more and usually have about a two month wait. The 23 is really popular and is the same size as the 19 which is the 9mm version. The 19 is considered by many to be a near perfect gun. I personally like the 27 better for carrying though. The shorter grip just makes it hide a little easier although you do give up some grip and a few rounds. If you were only going to have one gun the 23 would be a great all around gun. Small enough to conceal, large enough to carry a good amount of ammo and you can buy 9mm and 357 sig conversion barrels for it to shoot different calibers if you want to. Once you buy one Glock they tend multiply over time.....

#5 ·
The G23 is considered the midsize weapon correct for the 40 caliber? I have also read about the barrel swapping which is pretty neat because you could essentially have three different weapons for minimal pricing. Could you use a G22 mag inside the G23 OR G27 and get some sort of item to make it flush? In essence making the weapon itself smaller, but holding the round capacity of the larger glocks and just having a larger handle versus a larger gun altogether. If you don't mind me asking, how much did your holster cost?

#6 ·
Yep the 23 is the compact or midsize model 40 caliber. My holster was about $30 -$40 if I recall correctly. You can use the larger gun mags in the smaller Glocks. For example I can insert my Glock 22 mag into my Glock 27 if I want more rounds. You can also buy extended high-cap mags as well, there is a 22 round 40 S&W mag you can get. Glock Mag Gen 4 Glock 22 35 40 S&W Polymer Black I think there are some adapters as well you can put on the mag to make it fit flush with the rest of the grip, say like if you used a Glock 23 mag in a G27. I've never used them though.

#7 ·
One other thing, all generation Glock magazines are compatible with different gen Glocks with the exception being if you have a Gen 4 Glock with the mag release set up for a left handed user. In that case you must use gen 4 mags.

#8 ·
Very handy to know! Thanks a lot for your input on all of this, I think I'm going to continue researching both the G23 and the G27 because they both seem to have great perks to each. If I could I'd get both and test the differences myself. Thanks again. One more unrelated questions...What is the Member status and how does it go up? For example, I'm a private and you are an Elite Warrant Officer 1. I couldn't find the answer to that anywhere.

#9 · (Edited)
I conceal carry a G22 daily. I'm 5'10, 185. My waist is 32" so I don't have a large area to work with. Proper holster and carry position is the key. I prefer Crossbreed types and I like the Galco Triton too. I find the 4 o'clock position the best for me. Obviously my FS Glock can't be carried as deep as my Shield but is quite concealable.

#11 ·
That's about where I carry as well, or close to the 3 o'clock, but I think it's my holster that is keeping me from being able to conceal properly. The holster is comfortable and holds the G22 in pretty well, but its just the conceal ability isn't good. Thanks for the suggestions.

#10 ·
im also in florida I carry a g19 (the 9mm compact equivalent to 23) its definatley easier to conceal then the fullsize but not super concealable either. If I were u I would keep the fullsize for home defense and range use then purchase a 23 for carry and something like a shield in 40 for summer carry. if ur budget doesn't allow for that I would sell the fullsize and replace with the 23 as the 23 is perfect size for multipurpose then buy a shield later for summer carry

#14 ·
Isn't the only difference between the 23 and the 19 is that one is the 23 being a smaller .40 and the 19 being a smaller 9mm? I don't have that much money and saving up for one is what I plan on doing, but I haven't really heard anything bad about the 23 really. What is the "snap" you speak of? I haven't heard anything to that regard.

#15 ·
The 23 and 19 are identical only difference is one is 9mm and the other is 40 cal. I don't like the 40 thats why i chose the 19. If ur considering both buy the 23 now and a 9mm conversion barrel later. You can change ur 40 to a 9 but not vice versa

#17 ·
I like the 9mm and the .40 equally, but I figured since I already own the glock 22 buying ammo and swapping mags would be so much simpler keeping a .40 cal weapon. The conversion was just an idea I saw and I'm not sure I'd do it, but I want to know how they shoot and how they conceal. I've shot the .40 g22 the most out of any weapon so, I'm wondering from other posts if shooting a g23, although its a .40, is much different than shooting a g22.

#18 ·
Hmm.. that is weird and that's something I don't want to have to experience after I buy the gun. I need to test shoot these first then. That is strange is the barrel length different in the 22 and the 23 or is it just because the grip is smaller it may be harder to control? Also, if the 23 wasn't comfortable, but the 9mm was, you could do a barrel conversion from the glock 23 .40 to a 9mm barrel and swap mags as well.

#19 ·
Maybe consider appendix carry? Just a thought. I carry that way and I'm 5'11 and 180-85 depending on the season. :p

I've been carrying in a KRounds appendix holster for almost two years. Did it with a Sig P250 and that's a thick pistol. I never worry about it printing and I only use small adjustments for when I sit or bend over and the strut/loop decision they made helps the holster cant ever so slightly so it's not jabbing me in places I don't want.

Think about it. Might not be for you. I've done my 22 that way, my chopped 22, a 19 when I had one, and like mentioned the Sig.

Chris

#21 ·
I carried my 22 IWB last night under my coat. It carries really nice but just prints too much on me without a jacket or something over it. It almost somehow feels more comfortable than my 27. Maybe because it's a gen 3 with the smoother grip.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.