Glock Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone can chime in if you think this might be a good deal for a 20 year old about to turn 21...................Being a Disabled Veteran, my son is entitled to 4 years of college, books and tuition free from a nice 2 page list of Colleges on this program. (All of them pretty much are). The only catch is, he has to reside in the same state as I do.Which is Alabama. Since I have been back down here for about a year, I have been trying to talk him into taking advantage of this. I'm guessing he just isn't ready to give up his friends up there and pack it up and move away. He has until he is 25 to START the program meaning he can still start at 25 and still get the 4 years paid. Well, I sweetened the deal a bit. Since he turns 21 in February and he has fired many of my firearms and has been through firearm safety, I said......move down, live with us, when you turn 21 I will buy you a brand new Glock 17 Gen 4 and help you get your CCW!! Well, haven't heard a response yet because he is at work right now but thought I would share this "awesome deal"! :)

·
Registered
21,518 Posts
You’re asking a lot of him to give up a life he knows for the uncertain. You should be proud he has a job and a life

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, considering he is already in a management position at a very large drug store chain, they already told him he can transfer to any store in the country. There's one about every other mile, he can get his license to become a pharmacist while he still works part-time. So, I'm thinking the word "uncertain" doesn't even come into play here!

·
Registered
21,518 Posts
he sounds like a fine young man so don''t be hurt if he says no for now

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, when you miss your son as bad as I do, I can at least try to have my hopes up a bit. :)

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
Great incentives, for sure... but as important as this opportunity is, just as important is your support for your son no matter what he may choose...I've been almost in the same scenario when our son was playing HS ball, and looking at colleges...he was offered some scholarships for sports, and turned them down eventually...I was disappointed, but then he decided to join the Army....HOOAH !!! He has 5 degrees, all of which he got in the service...He is working in a related civilian field as his major in college...
Things have a way of working out...even if he doesn't choose your plan, let him know you support him anyway...Either way, I'm sure he'll be ok if he has his dad's smarts...and support...lol :D

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
my guess is your thinking this is too good a deal to be past up and i can have my son home with me and help him out too. noble idea but kids at that age have their own ideas and there not always wrong. sounds like he is doing ok now. let it be there is plenty of time if he changes his mind.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Great incentives, for sure... but as important as this opportunity is, just as important is your support for your son no matter what he may choose...I've been almost in the same scenario when our son was playing HS ball, and looking at colleges...he was offered some scholarships for sports, and turned them down eventually...I was disappointed, but then he decided to join the Army....HOOAH !!! He has 5 degrees, all of which he got in the service...He is working in a related civilian field as his major in college...
Things have a way of working out...even if he doesn't choose your plan, let him know you support him anyway...Either way, I'm sure he'll be ok if he has his dad's smarts...and support...lol :D
Thank You! Even if it doesn't work my way I will support him, of course. Always have in everything he has done!

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
Proud to hear you are trying very hard to help your son. You have laid out the incentives, as was posted above, support him in what he decides.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Take it from someone who has a fair amount of student debt. Just at 20k, if you have the ability to bless your son with free college education make every effort to do so. That's a beautiful program we have for the children of our disabled vets and he NEEDS to take advantage of it.

Just my opinion, as I wish I would have listened to my mom and dad when they told me to live at home to keep from taking out student loans.....man I wish I would have listened!!

Nick

·
Registered
4 Posts
Army Cobra I around his age just give him some time and put numbers on the table for him to go to school. Show what it costs and if he were to go away to college he would be gone from his friends anyway. So let him know he can go home...(i dont know where his home is relations to you) and if he doesn't want to take the offer I will(hahahaha). I wish more parents were like you I was blessed with a good set of parents (just wish they had more of an interest in guns like me). Or have him pay for the first semester at college and then he will definitely move hell the books alone for a full time student is over a $1,000 bucks.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Take it from someone who has a fair amount of student debt. Just at 20k, if you have the ability to bless your son with free college education make every effort to do so. That's a beautiful program we have for the children of our disabled vets and he NEEDS to take advantage of it.

Just my opinion, as I wish I would have listened to my mom and dad when they told me to live at home to keep from taking out student loans.....man I wish I would have listened!!

Nick
Thanks Nick! Yep, that's the idea that I'm hoping for!

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Army Cobra I around his age just give him some time and put numbers on the table for him to go to school. Show what it costs and if he were to go away to college he would be gone from his friends anyway. So let him know he can go home...(i dont know where his home is relations to you) and if he doesn't want to take the offer I will(hahahaha). I wish more parents were like you I was blessed with a good set of parents (just wish they had more of an interest in guns like me). Or have him pay for the first semester at college and then he will definitely move hell the books alone for a full time student is over a $1,000 bucks.
Thank you for the very kind compliment! I have simply laid it out for him. Told him a few times but I'm not gonna push too hard. It's his decision an I will respect that!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts