Glock Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I do not use anything in my safe. I live in FL, and have the A/C running 90% of the time and my RH% is usually around 50-55%. I have not seen any issues with the guns in my safe. I was thinking about putting something in there just for those times I leave on vacation and so forth. I have seen the Silica dissicant and the goldenrod kinds but don't think I really need the plug in type. Any suggestions? I have 2-20 gun safes. (not that they are full or anything)

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
I have the Silica in my gun safe and in most of my GI ammo boxes. Dont know if I need it or not, but makes me feel safer.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have the Silica in my gun safe and in most of my GI ammo boxes. Dont know if I need it or not, but makes me feel safer.
I think that's the feeling Im going for also! LOL

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
I do not use anything in my safe. I live in FL, and have the A/C running 90% of the time and my RH% is usually around 50-55%. I have not seen any issues with the guns in my safe. I was thinking about putting something in there just for those times I leave on vacation and so forth. I have seen the Silica dissicant and the goldenrod kinds but don't think I really need the plug in type. Any suggestions? I have 2-20 gun safes. (not that they are full or anything)
This should work for you...available @ Wallyworld too I believe...
Remington Model 365 Mini-Dehumidifier - 180353, Miscellaneous at Sportsman's Guide

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
I would bet that would be the member discount. The member ship is 29.99 but it you buy lots of ammo it;s worth it. I just bought 2000 rounds of .223 for $428 including the 29.99 membership fee. So in the long run it's not a bad deal for membership.

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
I would bet that would be the member discount. The member ship is 29.99 but it you buy lots of ammo it;s worth it. I just bought 2000 rounds of .223 for $428 including the 29.99 membership fee. So in the long run it's not a bad deal for membership.
+1 on that, ZK......
WX2-90507 - Remington® Model 365 Mini - Dehumidifier
Buyer's Club
$22.49......Non-Member $24.99

·
Registered
123 Posts
I have a large dehumidifier in my gun room that runs 24/7 with the discharge line going right into a drain. In each large safe I have a smaller reusable aluminum canister filled with a silica desiccant. About once a year I have to pull them out of the safes and bake them in an oven to restore them. For the few guns I have the live in the original cases I use a treated wax paper (like S&W uses) and a few small silica packs. Of course I store all guns with a light coating of BreakFree CLP.

The Gun Zone -- Corrosion Test

·
Registered
95 Posts
Haven't tried it yet, but I read somewhere that you can buy those minute rice bags(kinda like cheesecloth) that you just drop in boiling water for a couple of minutes.
When you gonna be gone for vacation, put one in the safe. The article I read said change bag monthly.
I guess after a few years, it might be cheaper to get humidifier......

·
Registered
123 Posts
The small reusable canisters that I use run around $10-12 each. That pretty cheap. I got some at Cabelas, but the last couple I just picked up off eBay.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I use dessicant that has been baked so many times the bags were leaking the clay everywhere. Just poured them all in a large crown royal bag and no problems. no rust and I live in LA so its really humid.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts