Glock Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
As with most other weapons, Glocks can be dry fired some...but I'd recommend snap caps for anything excessive, as with practice, etc...

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
As with most other weapons, Glocks can be dry fired some...but I'd recommend snap caps for anything excessive, as with practice, etc...
Makes sense to me.

·
Registered
21,518 Posts
Glock used to say it wouldn't hurt the gun but after a while they recanted that and now recommend snap caps because of cracks in the slide face. The firing pin slamming into the inside of the breach face will take its toll

bf2.jpg breach face.jpg

·
Registered
174 Posts
Whoa, didn't know that could happen! I should probably not dry fire my glocks over and over and over again....

·
Registered
21,518 Posts
dry firing any gun over time will damage it and snap caps are always a plus but this is not typical but an extreme.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I was thinking about this last night...if you didn't want to use snap caps (BC you need alot of them to practice), couldn't a striker just be cut off just above the cups and then you can just dry fire away?

·
Registered
88 Posts
OK, so I figured out that you don't need alot of snap caps, you can remove the extractor and plunger and cycle the action and fire again, so you only need 1.

·
Registered
21,518 Posts
snap caps are funny; if you put too many in a mag they get chewed up cycling them from the lips of the mags more then the extractor. no more then 3 at a time or the pressure of the spring chews them up. snap caps can be used in training too. if you have someone stagger them in between rounds they can be treated as a misfire or dud and they train you to clear a round when it happens

Reactions: PSmith

·
Registered
880 Posts
Really shouldn't need that many snap caps. Once your pull the trigger all you have to do is pull the slide to the rear about 1/4 inch and it will reset. The chambered snap would never leave the chamber.

·
Registered
21,518 Posts
another opinion (everybody has one...)

(FAQ) Dry Firing Glocks - YouTube
this guy contradict himself, if you want to keep your gun it tip top shape you don't abuse it dry firing it without a snap cap. when you snap a trigger it sets off kinetic energy and that energy has to be absorbed somewhere. with out a snap cap the inside of the breach face and firing pin that the abuse. even a hammer will give and break with enough blows

bf.png bf2.png bf3.png

·
Registered
21,518 Posts
I find it hard to believe you can damage a gun that must be dry fired to disassembly to be damaged by dry firing.
I posted it somewhere else but I will post it here also

Can I dry fire my Glock pistol?
It is ok to dry fire your Glock pistol, but in situations where the pistol will be subjected to continuous sessions of dry firing, the use of a snap cap or dummy round is recommended.
FAQ | GLOCK USA

1 - 15 of 15 Posts