Glock Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Planning on getting a Gen 3 Glock 17 and am looking for a good duty holster for work.

Was recommended a ThumbDrive holster but I am wondering if anyone has any experience with any others?

·
Registered
477 Posts
I personally like the M6 Auto Lock holster by Galco for the Glock. It does have a thumb release but it is between the gun and your body so it feels a bit more "natural" when you are getting a grip on your pistol in the holster. Other thumb breaks with the snap strap require you to work through the straps once the snap is broken. They also make a "pull off" retention holster that usually consists of a bungee cord or rubber strap that can be "ripped" out of the way and will not hinder you getting a solid grip on your pistol. Then of course there is the Serpa Level 2 with the trigger finger release. You might hear some varied responses on that one but IMO it leaves gun open to get a solid grip and the release is in that safety finger forward position that most shooters are used to so it's not a very big deal to me.

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
Just wanted to say Welcome to the Forum ! I am not a LEO, therefore only carry CCW.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thank you for the response. i will probably be going with some kind of thumb release. found one from safariland that looks good and its a little over $40

·
Registered
14 Posts
I too am looking for a thumb break carry holster for a 17. I learned on a leather one with a hard plastic hood that rocked forward as you pushed the thumb break down but I never got the make or model. I want to find something similar, but if not the serpa feels pretty good as long as I can find one without a padle.

·
Registered
880 Posts
I too am looking for a thumb break carry holster for a 17. I learned on a leather one with a hard plastic hood that rocked forward as you pushed the thumb break down but I never got the make or model. I want to find something similar, but if not the serpa feels pretty good as long as I can find one without a padle.
If I recall correctly, the one you are referring to is made by Safariland.

I'm not a big fan of the Serpa. There have been numerous complaints because you have to use your trigger finger near the trigger as you draw. The most secure holster I've used is the Safariland SSIII. You have to use both the thumb and middle finger to unsnap and then rock to the rear as you draw. Sounds difficult, but with practice it can be drawn quickly.

My experience is Safariland and Bianchi make the best quality duty holsters.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Have you considered a stock Glock duty holster? The LEO price is only 15.00...I have never seen a review of one or the sport/combat model but fifteen bucks is cheep enough. I plan on getting one for my 35 and 23 along with a few mag holders and a field knife.If you want to get a LEO price list just ask Glock and they will email you one.I have wanted to try one of the military drop leg or hanger types..

·
Registered
223 Posts
Have you thought of using Blackhawk's Serpa holster? I wanted use a Blackhawk Serpa holster during my days of pistol competitions. I decided make my own.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Check out the 5.11 Thumbdrive Holster. A level 2 holster made by Blade-Tech for 5.11. Great product. Can be had with a drop and offset spacer for duty. I personally use one on duty and it is solid, stable and flawless.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts